Budlightyear

More rights taken away!

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

33 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

FWIW, that device is for recreational scalloping, not commercial.

Yup and it lasted a long time that way too. until the swans arrived.:p

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, flysully said:

I keep tabs on what's happening on the Vineyard via their online newspapers, since we used to fish there for 15 years, two wks in spring and two wks in fall for stripers & albies. bob_G , above, is correct in what he posted, according to Martha's Vineyard's reasons for closing the anchoring around the Gut beaches. Not only do piping plovers, fishermen's most hated birds, nest there but the lowly seagulls have many, many nests onshore at the Gut. Seagulls nest everywhere, even near dumpsters here on Long Island, NY,  so, I assume their nesting protection wasn't addressed at the meetings of the MV shore protectors BUT, yes, the eelgrass and the scallop beds were being disturbed which is a big thing. Fishing has greatly fallen off from shore and the Vineyard is trying to address these problems. Not only the fishing, but the scallop industry is very important to the Vineyard. 

Being a fisherman, I support, along with bob_G, his view of why this new non-anchoring law has been passed. The scallop industry on the Vineyard plus the disappearance of the eel grass, which stripers love, has been disappearing. I commend the Vineyard for having established this boating/no anchoring law at the Gut and its perimeters. It's not a matter of rich people vs. others, as some have mentioned. If they don't do this, scallops and fishing industries might be gone from the Vineyard. And, BTW, the "Gut" is the area mentioned. It's not the ocean, like, those who might not know an ocean with surf, etc.? Nope, it's a calm "gut" between two "islands" between which the waters flow, supplementing eel grass and scallops growth. 

100%!!   I am all for protecting rights but this area has become a sh!% show of boats in the summer anchoring up, partying on the private beach, tearing the crap out of the bottom.  On a nice summer day there will be 50+ boats anchored up over there at any given time.  Wade out there and there is no eel grass anymore because of this, completely destroyed.  This restriction was needed and I for one am glad it will be in effect

Edited by MVDCGTO

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/3/2021 at 7:33 AM, bob_G said:

Not necessarily z man.  During the fall and winter months the eel grass dies off. So dragging for scallops doesn't impact the eel grass at all. 

It begins growing again in the spring when the water and sun get warm.

The scallops spawn in June, and remain in a delicate larva stage all summer, their main source protection are eel grass beds.  So you can understand the importance of eel grass.

Just a footnote. All up and down the coast eel grass is vanishing at an alarming rate. For example, we lost about 90% of our eel grass beds in Bourne and our bay scallop fishery has declined accordingly.

Did boat anchors destroy all the eel grass up and down the coast or is it just specific to Cape Pogue? 

Edited by Budlightyear

Again misinformation by the elite and not in my back yarders. Loss of eel grass has nothing to do with boat anchors but water quality and the over fishing by commercial entities. Common denominator to the decline of all fishing is COMMERCIAL OVER FISHING not boat anchors.  

6 mins ago, Budlightyear said:

Again misinformation by the elite and not in my back yarders. Loss of eel grass has nothing to do with boat anchors but water quality and the over fishing by commercial entities. Common denominator to the decline of all fishing is COMMERCIAL OVER FISHING not boat anchors.  

Most of the time; but not always. The eel grass is the issue. No eel grass No scallops.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:28 AM, MVDCGTO said:

100%!!   I am all for protecting rights but this area has become a sh!% show of boats in the summer anchoring up, partying on the private beach, tearing the crap out of the bottom.  On a nice summer day there will be 50+ boats anchored up over there at any given time.  Wade out there and there is no eel grass anymore because of this, completely destroyed.  This restriction was needed and I for one am glad it will be in effect

What if all the boats had vineyard registrations and have been going there for years , would you feel the same way? 

9 hours ago, Budlightyear said:

What if all the boats had vineyard registrations and have been going there for years , would you feel the same way? 

I don’t care who is tearing up the bottom there or where they are from 

I wonder if a "virtual" anchor using one of the new trolling motors that use GPS to keep you in place would be allowed?  Probably not.