Budlightyear

More rights taken away!

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Edgartown board votes to take anchoring rights away from people in a majority of cape pogue. So now they own the ocean? 

35 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

What started the anti anchor movement....hopefully the pretty people weren't offended when you anchored to close to shore...lol lol lol

they blocked their view of the ocean. LOL

Say......where have I heard pretty much these exact words before? It sounds somehow strangely  familiar.

"Along with marine life, Cape Pogue’s unique sandy beaches also serve as one of the last nesting ground habitats for rare species of shorebirds, including piping plovers.

“I feel strongly that we need to find a balance between maintaining balance for traditional recreation, with a limitation for ecological and character harm from overuse,” Mr. McIntosh said."

Manchester by the Sea has been trying to ban anchoring at Sanddollar Cove for years.  Luckily, to date that has not happened.  Freaking ridiculous.  

I'm surprised the town has jurisdiction, I though all stuff like this beyond the high tide mark was federal navigation territory. 

7 hours ago, Budlightyear said:

Edgartown board votes to take anchoring rights away from people in a majority of cape pogue. So now they own the ocean? 

I'm unfamiliar with the area.  But is there already a mooring field presently there?

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

I'm surprised the town has jurisdiction, I though all stuff like this beyond the high tide mark was federal navigation territory. 

Nope. Federal jurisdiction begins at 3 nautical miles. The state has jurisdiction inside of that, and I suspect has ceded some regulatory authority to the towns.

1 hour ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Nope. Federal jurisdiction begins at 3 nautical miles. The state has jurisdiction inside of that, and I suspect has ceded some regulatory authority to the towns.

That's just not true, at the very least there's interacting layers of jurisdiction. Federal navigation laws even apply on freshwater streams. River access for kayaking has had many lawsuits that hinged on the definition of 'navigable'. There was also recently a large sh*tshow about the Feds designating areas of the Hudson near Ellis Island as barge anchorages despite the opposition of the state of NJ and city of Jersey City.

When I was asst Harbormaster for the Town of Bourne I vaguely recall this topic coming up at one of our many Harbormaster/shellfish constable meetings. 

At the time the MV Harbormaster said he was very concerned that the annual practice of boats anchoring and rafting up in the pond  was impacting the town's lucrative bay scallop fishery.   If my memory serves me, he said indiscriminate anchoring was tearing up the bottom, and destroying the delicate eel grass.  Juvenile bay scallops are extremely delicate, and depend on the eel grass for survival when they are in the larva stage.  It's also important to note, the island's bay scallop fishery has been declining for decades.

Again, these are my vague recollections of something that was discussed years ago, and there's probably more to the story.  But it seems this isn't a money grab, or a way to discriminate against transient boaters.  It appears in part that the MV selectmen are attempting to be proactive in protecting their delicate bay scallop fishery.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Because of the pandemic and maybe one or two other small reasons the boaters found a great place to anchor , relax and enjoy what's rightfully theirs. The vineyard elite do not want the off island scum to use this area as a recreational spot. I don't care how long you've been on the water or how scientific you think you may be but there is no way people anchoring are wrecking the eel grass compared to the 25-30 (maybe more maybe less)  commercial islanders that scallop that place every year dragging it millions of times over. Sorry not buying what your selling.  Plus the place isn't all eel grass so many people are probably anchoring in the sand anyways.  Our rights to recreation were destroyed on that island, the trustees is a joke, and so is the audobon.  People are fed up getting **** taken away from them . Like any thing that is in decline it's because of commercial over harvesting.  

Edited by Budlightyear

2 mins ago, Budlightyear said:

Because of the pandemic and maybe one or two other small reasons the boaters found a great place to anchor , relax and enjoy what's rightfully theirs. The vineyard elite do not want the off island scum to use this area as a recreational spot. I don't care how long you've been on the water or how scientific you think you may be but there is no way people anchoring are wrecking the eel grass compared to the 25-30 (maybe more maybe less)  commercial islanders that scallop that place every year dragging it millions of times over. Sorry not buying what your selling.  Plus the place isn't all eel grass so many people are probably anchoring in the sand anyways.  Our rights to recreation were destroyed on that island, the trustees is a joke, and so is the audobon.  People are fed up getting **** taken away from them . Like any thing that is in decline it's because of commercial over harvesting.  

Ok, look budlightyear, for starters, I'm not selling anything.  I'm only repeating what I heard at a Harbormaster's conference.  I'm sorry my recollection of the facts don't mesh with your recreational plans.  But that's the way the chips fall sometimes. :shrug: