frisco_25

ODM Genesis?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I’m looking to add the new genesis to my line up with and pair it with a 6000 Saragosa for striped bass (plugs, spoons, bucktails) in the west coast. My question for those who own/owned the genesis or any of the other odm surf rods… would you match up the reel with the 10 ft or 11ft? 10ft is rated 1/2-3.5oz and 11ft is rated 3/4-4 with the new 2021 models. Thanks in advance. 

6000 seems like a pretty big reel for that type of use. 

I have a 10'6" DNA with a slammer 3500, my friend uses same reel on his 11' genesis, other buddy uses a vanstall vr50 on his 11' genesis.  Seems like 3500-4500 size reels are more common for surf casting around here.  

I know not all reel manufactures sizing is the same, but i wouldnt want to throw a 6k all day

Unless you plan on going very light, and the rod you’re interested in precludes this pretty much, the 6000 is fine. I generally fish open beach with 20-30 pound PowerPro. A lot of guys fishing SF or San Mateo are using 40 or 50 pound because of rocky beaches. In these cases anything smaller than 6k won’t give you much extra line. 

On 3/25/2021 at 0:33 PM, DannySF415 said:

6000 seems like a pretty big reel for that type of use. 

I have a 10'6" DNA with a slammer 3500, my friend uses same reel on his 11' genesis, other buddy uses a vanstall vr50 on his 11' genesis.  Seems like 3500-4500 size reels are more common for surf casting around here.  

I know not all reel manufactures sizing is the same, but i wouldnt want to throw a 6k all day

I have a 10 foot DNA 3/4-4 oz. That rod will pair with a VS 150, VS 200, and Penn slammer 3 3500, or 4500. Remember the Penn slammers are a size up from comparable Shimano reels. I also have a Shimano Saragossa 5000 that works. There is some personal preferences and but in terms of weight and balance, I would say somewhere between 13-16 oz would make sense. The VR 50 weighs 8.9 oz according to the Van Stall website. Not only will that NOT balance IMHO but line capacity will be an issue when using 30# braid especially if you have wind at your back. Remember most people put on some backing and when you start casting deep into your spool you get more friction and lose distnace. Lighter reels are not always better and in some cases much more of a hindrance especially in a strong current or crosswind. You may need a faster line pick up and a small spool will not give you that. If you are not tight to your plug it's hard to set the hook and you will miss fish. Just my two cents.

Lee

And.....

Ladies & Gentlemen here’s another fine example why having a little extra reel capacity is not necessarily a bad thing.

While you may not be seeing a shark or giant yellowtail, it still might be a big and feisty bat ray or the catch of a lifetime. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have had two 10ft. Genesis rods. Had a run of bad luck. I snapped one on a cast with a heavy lead jig fishing the canal in cape cod, just overloaded it on a cast. Second one snapped on the west coast from high tipping a bass of about 12 lbs on the rocks. This time I replaced it with the 11ft Genesis. I have been using the Shimano Spheros 6000. I have never used the Saragosa but I believe the only difference is one additional bearing. Didn't notice any difference in fishing with my reel between those rods. Shimano reels have never froze up on me. Definitely stand by them as a surf reel. I will say the 11 ft. is a lot of rod and the 10ft handles bucktails better. Awesome rod all around! I have heard from other people that they are delicate. Just take care of it!

Edited by LocalGunther