"BEST" SURF FLIES / GO-TO FLIES

Rate this topic

NavyFlies

I was wondering what everyone's go to surf fly is and if anyone has any picture of their go to. I am traveling back home to Florida soon after a very long forward deployment. I have been out of the fishing realm for a long time due to my job and feels like i forgot half of what i know. I am looking forward to doing some fly fishing and relaxing. I mainly am going for inshore saltwater species. I just bought a second 8wt set up and am eager to fish it.

Also, while I have you here, I am also going to be doing some offshore fishing from a boat. I am unfamiliar with this territory and would be very open to your favorite techniques and flies for this style. 

I'm open to anything! Thanks

Edited by NavyFlies

14 mins ago, bloosfisher said:

wtf?  Guy served his country and asks a  very valid question many on here can answer and gets nothing . Again, wtf?  I don't fish Fla., otherwise I'd send him some flies.  

Im also in Washington state trying to learn how to salmon fish / trout fish. I dont know where you are but if you have input on that then it would be great!

I have fished just a little in Florida, and never on the West Coast. That said, there is no place on Planet Earth where Deceivers and Clouser minnows fail to catch fish. There are fifteen million shrimp imitations out there, plus or minus.  Crab imitations are endlessly popular. In this Forum or in Fly Tying Forum, the Merkin (a crab tie)  and a squadron of other crustaceans. 

We lost a long term poster, BoneFishDick, who diagrammed his favorite pattern here, the "Betsy," a couple of times. He caught a ton of fish on it.

If you're setting up a new 8wt outfit, I suggest that the first line you want is a floating WF line. Practice casting with a long leader, 8' and up. Depending on when and where and the season, you might need 12'.

I see you have the minimum 15 posts needed for PM privileges. I'm going to ask TimS to ennable that function. When he does, PM me your name and address. I'm pretty sure I have something on Florida fishing to send you, hiding in the cellar.

1 hour ago, NavyFlies said:

Im also in Washington state trying to learn how to salmon fish / trout fish. I dont know where you are but if you have input on that then it would be great!

Unfortunately, I live in New England and  my main  targets are now stripers and smallmouth. I've fished quite a bit for Great Lakes steelhead and salmon, but they are a slightly different animal. I have fished a few rivers in Northern California for steelhead.  One for Kings .  I primarily used stonefly/ large nymph patterns and egg patterns for the steelhead. Large egg patterns for Kings.  I've swung flies like Intruders, Comets and Prom Dresses  in the GL tribs, but don't know specific size and colors that work where you will fish. I'll wait to see if you get more specific info. 

Edited by bloosfisher

3 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Bloos is right. NavyFly, fill us in a bit on where you are (or will be) in Florida, and what you most yearn to catch. Freshwater or salt?

Thank you for the I will be on the Panhandle area in Florida. I will be doing some beach fishing, flats / inshore fishing, and one or two trips out to sea for a couple days. My main target is redfish, trout, spanish mackerel, bluefish, if they are there a black drum (always wanted one on the fly). For offshore i never know what i will run into but i have 2 8wts floating line and one of those has 2 extra spools with intermediate and sinking lines. I also have a 10 wt and am looking into a 12 wt so any pointers for offshore fly fishing would be great too. 

Offshore .... there is no knowledge save local knowledge. Take a guide to see what "offshore" means in the Florida panhandle.

Wading or boating ... trout (the Florida version is cynoscion nebulosis, but there's another species too) are easy. They'll eat damn near any fly you can cast. Redfish will need a sinking line, at least an intermediate, and a fly that can be crawled on the bottom. Spanish mackerel, small shiny expendable flies are fine because they like small shiny, and will bite you off given half a chance. Bluefish, ditto. Black drum, I dunno.

You've got your PM privileges now, so send me a name and mailing address.

My one and only Panhandle  experience, I caught sea   trout (weakfish to me) on a fly that was Deceiver like.  Brian gave you a really good start. Clousers in Chartreuse and White, Tan and white,  just look shrimpy, crabby, catch near anything.  That Yellow Sally fly is a killer, too.   I'd send you some Clousers if you want. Brian might offer me the best size (s)  to tie.  I don't remember hook size, just that the fly was maybe 3"  in length.  I'm guessing a sz. 1 or 1/0.  

I've caught surf perch, corvina, and white sea bass and halibut in the Ca. surf. The white sea bass and the halibut were on a chartreuse and white clouser.  I know there's surf perch and halibut in Wa. suds, likely neat other critters,  too, like sea run cutthroat. 

Edited by bloosfisher

32 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Offshore .... there is no knowledge save local knowledge. Take a guide to see what "offshore" means in the Florida panhandle.

Wading or boating ... trout (the Florida version is cynoscion nebulosis, but there's another species too) are easy. They'll eat damn near any fly you can cast. Redfish will need a sinking line, at least an intermediate, and a fly that can be crawled on the bottom. Spanish mackerel, small shiny expendable flies are fine because they like small shiny, and will bite you off given half a chance. Bluefish, ditto. Black drum, I dunno.

You've got your PM privileges now, so send me a name and mailing address.

Haha Very true actually. Offshore for me is going to be 15-30 NM from land. Maybe further depending on the weather. Last time i was out i forgot my fly rod (typical) but kind of glad because there were some big amberjack amongst other things crushing everything. My buddy took a popping cork and just slid ir down on a big hook and was getting slammed by all kinds of stuff. I figure and long as it looks like i might possibly be something they could eat it will work. Now i just gotta get that 12wt ive been wanting :hooked:

If you do, put in some practice with it. A 12 wt. will wear on ya ....

How much fly angling do  you have under your belt? If salt water fly fishing is new, I'd work first on the stuff for which an 8wt is suited, and that's a lot. Small to middlin' tarpon, snook, bonefish, permit, barracuda, ladyfish (I am not fussy) and anything that hangs around structure.

Edited by BrianBM

Clousers in the normal colors: chartreuse over white, olive/chartreuse over white, all black, all white with some chartreuse flash (can be excellent in the surf)  , yellow with red and gold flash for pompano

gartside gurglers - whites and tans

FC sand shrimp (bottom fly in second photo)

redfish crack (last photo)

Those should get you started

IMG_20171216_111956223.jpg

IMG_20171110_125037236_HDR.jpg

redfish_crack.JPG