Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alan Hawk

Rear drag? what the.....

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Have you ever used a rear drag reel in serious fishing? I've always considered them something to be given to kids to start with then dispose. Or is it because I've never seen any quality reel with one? icon25.gif

I've thought the same thing myself at times. One of the best spinning reel drags I ever used was on an old Cardinal 4 reel, which I still own by the way. This reel has the drag knob on the bottom of the back of the reel and I can't remember how many large weakfish and bluefish I put in the boat using it.

OK techies, explain this lack of rear drag phoenomena to us.

Spigolaconfused.gif

I used one for winter steelhead fishing as I could adjust the drag after the hookset and not worry about catching the line with a gloved hand.

gad

Vic Dunaway, reviewing a new crop of reels in The Florida Sportsman some years back, had my favorite comment ever on the things when he wrote Serious anglers have never quite known what to make of rear drag spinning reels, finding them too awkwardly shaped for paperweights, and too light to serve as anchors. ...or something pretty close to that. Couldn't agree more wink.gif

I use to use the old Shimanos when I was a kid,and they all had a rear drag back then.I remember only getting one season out of them though,they would be trash from all the big blues we used to catch biggrin.gif

Once I started using the penn metal bodies with front drag,I never looked back.

Spig is right on. The old Zebco Cardinal rear drags are some of the best ever made. The two larger models (#6 & 7) make great intermediate jetty reels if you after blues or weakies up to 24" or so. Rear drag also eliminates the possibility of line getting wrapped around the drag knob, always an exciting occurence with a fish on. Also easier to reach when you have to make a mid-fight adjustment. I'll take a rear drag anytime!

alby

Even Penn caught the rear drag bug back in the 80s. They had some small and intermediate size models---they weren't very good.

IMO it's not the rear drag design per se that's bad, it the wuality of the rear drag reels out there today.

I use a Shimano TX rear drag for freshwater and it works OK. But I'd never use any rear drag model (save an original Cardinal if I could get my hands on them) for saltwater.

The Cardinals marketed by Abu Garcia in the mid 80s were Asian crap, nowhere near the quality of the original Cardinals that were imported by Zebco.