Richard_the_Aughth

Is trout season happening this year?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Went out for a little bit after work. Had the river all to myself and hooked up pretty quickly. Let’s keep opening day on a Wednesday from now on!!

2 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Yes! ..... but two years ago they stocked about 30 in the pond during normal opening day.

If you remember last year, no one knew the start of trout season with the virus being around.

They actually had the pond stocked, but the parking areas were closed, even across the school yard.

I had the whole pond to myself most of the time. I would let friends park in my driveway, short walk.

30! Holy smokes. 

As irrational as the concept of “trout ponds” really is... opening day has always been something I look forward to every year.. my Bday is on the 14th, so it’s landed on the ”second Saturday in April’” many-a time... so it’s just one of those weird things that I've

grown to really appreciate... for some reason I love the anticipation of getting up at @$$ crack of dawn, hopeing I can find a spot to park...or even a good spot at my favorite hole,  just to land some glorified gold fish... silly? Yes... but hey...a  17” Goldie on UL set up... doesn’t get much better then that!  Landed 10 fish (3salmon, 5 bows, a golden and a nice brown) in an hour. With a few lost fish and lot of hits...  in the end, I had a blast this morning catching fish off a dock and chatting with the guys next to me. Ultimately isn’t that what it’s about?  (Not how I Normally do fishing life, but for opening day, why not!

DE82C944-E5E7-4546-93DE-6126550FA37E.jpeg

74483100-929E-4452-9F31-0786D9AA85E6.jpeg

85BBF12E-81C8-428D-A523-22A90D2DE21C.jpeg

ED114E12-767B-417F-861B-EC8506C40D6E.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Glad to hear that others had more successful opening days.  I feel that the small pond i fish was less stocked then it has been in years passed, usually you can see a few schools swimming around and i could only find one when i scoped out the area the day before.  We arrived at 6:30am, a young couple was leaving with10 fish.  Unfort it was pretty darn cold, and after 2 hrs my son was cold and bored. In 2 hrs i saw 2 fish caught by a crowd of 20 + people, that is the worst i have ever seen on opening day.  Saw no salmon or golden trout.  We had one bite, which we lost and that was it.  There were a lot of disappointed kids.  My son and i had a great day, regardless and that is what it is really about catching would have just been a bonus.  

To me i would rather grab a bucket of shiners and head out bass fishing, or get kid into schoolie bite in a few weeks.  Hatchery trout fishing feels like fishing for goldfish to me.    But its fun to have traditions and reasons to take the kids out for something different.

Edited by Kooky

grown men, fishing a kids only trout pond, in waders and with a fly rod, might be the funniest thing I've ever seen. 

59 mins ago, Kooky said:

Glad to hear that others had more successful opening days.  I feel that the small pond i fish was less stocked then it has been in years passed, usually you can see a few schools swimming around and i could only find one when i scoped out the area the day before.  We arrived at 6:30am, a young couple was leaving with10 fish.  Unfort it was pretty darn cold, and after 2 hrs my son was cold and bored. In 2 hrs i saw 2 fish caught by a crowd of 20 + people, that is the worst i have ever seen on opening day.  Saw no salmon or golden trout.  We had one bite, which we lost and that was it.  There were a lot of disappointed kids.  My son and i had a great day, regardless and that is what it is really about catching would have just been a bonus.  

To me i would rather grab a bucket of shiners and head out bass fishing, or get kid into schoolie bite in a few weeks.  Hatchery trout fishing feels like fishing for goldfish to me.    But its fun to have traditions and reasons to take the kids out for something different.

march and april LMB fishing is the best of the year, to me. 

1 min ago, HugeDinghy said:

march and april LMB fishing is the best of the year, to me. 

I have tried in March but unless its really nice the kids dont last long w cold. April we will try to hit it hard.  

Tried to go to two of my favorite ponds yesterday (opening day) and we couldn't get close to the ponds....so much for [anti-]social distancing. :niffty:

Made it this morning:

Saw a bald eagle too.

AlexRonTrout21.jpeg