San juan worms self destructing?

Rate this topic

fishfinder401

11 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

I tried that, and the weird thing is the material seems to come out from the sides if that make sense? Im probably just using the wrong chenille

Likely the type of chenille you are using.

As Kid mentioned, ultra chenille is by far the best.

I still like to burn the ends on it as well to give it a taper. Light pink for some reason has worked very well in the past for me.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

I haven't use a San Juan worms in a while.  Most of the trout streams I fish have more sunfish than trout in them and the sunfish will do a number on them.  I have some chenille's that seem to come apart when I'm wrapping them.  Trying to get a tight wrap with them I find myself holding string rather than chenille.  I've been putting them  in a separate bag, so I don't use them again.

As far as bass flies, I'm not sure if the mop chenille is the same chenille that's sold in craft stores.  That's seems to be pretty tough.  I brought a skein of white chenille on sale and I'm using it to tie some bass flies.  What I did with this one is twist the chenille together before tying it in.  It's about 4 inches long.  I plan to add a marabou tail to them this year.

605bdd72ede17_P4030493(2).JPG.7f0d8d140a955d899204bd1721170295.JPG

Mop pieces are pretty tough but the longest I've been able to find are about 2 inches. I figure I could put two together and make a "wacky worm" fly or just twist the craft store chenille and use that.

Zonker strips should work but the fly wouldn't have the same characteristics as a San Juan Worm.