Roccus7

Rut - Roh, Maine EcoNazis Targeting Soft Plastics

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, BradO said:

More and more brook trout are coming thru the ice with rubber baits in their guts.  I had a nice 12" trout spit this one up when it hit the ice on Crystal Lake in Gray in January.  I fish almost exclusively with plastic baits.  But lost baits are creating an issue.  I do not know what the solution is.  But common sense says it is an issue.

0324211015_HDR.jpg

If that's the case, the practical solution has probably been enacted, but not enforced (making littering in our waterways illegal).  I can all but guarantee that if we were only talking about soft plastics legitimately lost during the act of fishing, this would not be an issue...however, land based littering is far worse, but the enforcement of that law is minimal (I know of two people in my entire life who were ticketed for littering...and in both cases, it was because the said offenders drove right by police cruisers while throwing trash out their window)

Edited by albacized

Being a life time outdoor enthusiast and fisherman  and witnessing the changes that have occurred in my life time,  I feel anything that can be done to change the degradation of our fisheries is a good thing. I am sure they can come up with a harmless material to make lures out of. We as fisherman should stand behind any positive change. I believe Berkley changed their formula to make their products bio degradable. If it good for the fish and the environment its good for me.

On 3/24/2021 at 10:23 AM, BradO said:

More and more brook trout are coming thru the ice with rubber baits in their guts.  I had a nice 12" trout spit this one up when it hit the ice on Crystal Lake in Gray in January.  I fish almost exclusively with plastic baits.  But lost baits are creating an issue.  I do not know what the solution is.  But common sense says it is an issue.

0324211015_HDR.jpg

Wacky rigged Senko type baits like that are the biggest problem. They tear off the hook too easily and should be fished with an o-ring to help it stay on the hook. I would be a fan of a new regulation requiring it. 

I spend a lot of time on Winnipesaukee and love to snorkel.  We stay on a 47 acre island and it is amazing to see how many soft plastic lures litter the rocky bottom.  They bleach out white and are super-easy to see.   A group of us once snorkeled around the entire island and picked up about a gallon of soft plastic lures.   I am not entirely sure what threat they pose, but it can't be great.  I have a friend who is a fisheries biologist with NH Fish & Game and he says that they find a lot of soft plastics inside of all species...often poking out of the fish's vent.

We have ditched all lead in NH fresh water and it was not a big deal to go with tungsten -- just a bit more expensive. I am hopeful that they can develop some biodegradable alternatives for soft plastics.    For my freshwater jigs, I have gone mostly to deer hair with no noticeable reduction in catch rates.   I still use other forms of soft plastics.

On 3/27/2021 at 9:26 AM, Topside2 said:

I spend a lot of time on Winnipesaukee and love to snorkel.  We stay on a 47 acre island and it is amazing to see how many soft plastic lures litter the rocky bottom.  They bleach out white and are super-easy to see.   A group of us once snorkeled around the entire island and picked up about a gallon of soft plastic lures.   I am not entirely sure what threat they pose, but it can't be great.  I have a friend who is a fisheries biologist with NH Fish & Game and he says that they find a lot of soft plastics inside of all species...often poking out of the fish's vent.

We have ditched all lead in NH fresh water and it was not a big deal to go with tungsten -- just a bit more expensive. I am hopeful that they can develop some biodegradable alternatives for soft plastics.    For my freshwater jigs, I have gone mostly to deer hair with no noticeable reduction in catch rates.   I still use other forms of soft plastics.

I’m also on-board with looking into this and trying to find a suitable substitute to non-biodegradable plastic. I do use soft plastics; in fact they are mostly what I fish with, both fresh and salt, so an outright ban would be a huge bummer for me, but I can’t deny the impact I have witnessed. The little body of water near my house seems to get a little worse every year and I am worried how it will impact the fish long-term. I can’t claim innocence on this one either, especially when it comes to Senko-type worms. No matter how you fish them, there’s a pretty good chance of going through at least a couple per fishing trip. That’s gonna add up. 

Edit: I just read that Z-Man ElazTech IS biodegradable. That’s actually what I already use for saltwater and for Ned rigs in freshwater. They are a little bit of a pain to store (they can get warped or stick to other stuff in sun/heat) but they are extremely durable otherwise and have great action. I will have to give their stick baits a shot this year. 

Edited by drmevo

That may explain why a zman I was using and then stored in a box with other soft plastics decided to melt when it got warm in the car.

Seems to be mixed reviews on elaztech being biodegradable, however, I think just the fact that it’s significantly more durable than pvc/plastisol soft baits helps a lot.

Anyone ever use biobaits? Claim that they’re 100% biodegradable. I’ve seen a lot of companies claim that for various plastic items, but they almost all require a commercial composting facility to break down.

Maybe rabbit fur is the answer ? Been tying Buggs for when I go south again you can fish them without plastic trailers and still look awful lively. Always looking for ways to reduce the impact of catch and release fishing and all fishing for that matter. If we don't help things out who will.

On 3/29/2021 at 1:23 PM, C.Robin said:

Seems to be mixed reviews on elaztech being biodegradable, however, I think just the fact that it’s significantly more durable than pvc/plastisol soft baits helps a lot.

Anyone ever use biobaits? Claim that they’re 100% biodegradable. I’ve seen a lot of companies claim that for various plastic items, but they almost all require a commercial composting facility to break down.

Is elaztech actually biodegradable? It doesn’t say anything on the packages about it, just says non toxic. You would think they would use being biodegradable as a marketing strategy if it were true. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

Is elaztech actually biodegradable? It doesn’t say anything on the packages about it, just says non toxic. You would think they would use being biodegradable as a marketing strategy if it were true. 

Seems to be a mixture of oil/TPE, which I certainly would not classify as biodegradable. Less toxic than PVC? Absolutely. Less likely to end up in our water bodies? I’d say so, they’re certainly more durable than traditional soft plastics.

Googling elaztech only has 3rd parties claiming it’s biodegradable, I don’t see any statements from z-man stating that.

Edited by C.Robin

23 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Seems to be a mixture of oil/TPE, which I certainly would not classify as biodegradable. Less toxic than PVC? Absolutely. Less likely to end up in our water bodies? I’d say so, they’re certainly more durable than traditional soft plastics.

Googling elaztech only has 3rd parties claiming it’s biodegradable, I don’t see any statements from z-man stating that.

I found this on ********.com:

"ElaZtech is the toughest soft plastic bait you will find on the market; as much as 10X Tougher than other soft plastic baits. ElaZtech resists nicks, cuts, and tears better than other soft plastic baits. This makes the Palmetto BugZ great for the bushes, wood, grass, rocks where bass spawn. It’s naturally buoyant material allows the bait to float off the bottom to create a more visible target. Unlike most other soft fishing baits, ElaZtech is non-toxic, biodegradable and contains no PVC, Plastisol or Phthalates."

It's April 1, watch out for crap like this...

MLF Bass Pro Tour Bans Berkley PowerBait MaxScent

By MLF Communications 18h ago

mlf-bans-berkley-maxscent.jpg

Major League Fishing (MLF)  announced today a rule change to Bass Pro Tour Rule No. 7 regarding Tackle and Equipment, which addresses the usage of Berkley PowerBait MaxScent baits on the MLF Bass Pro Tour. Effective immediately, anglers that compete on the Bass Pro Tour are prohibited from using any Berkley PowerBait MaxScent product, both in practice and competition.

"MLF has studied the use of the Berkley PowerBait MaxScent since its launch in 2018, and we've made the decision to no longer permit its usage on the Bass Pro Tour," Aaron Beshears, MLF Bass Pro Tour Director said. "The ban applies only to Berkley PowerBait MaxScent baits. At this time, original Berkley PowerBait and Berkley Gulp! baits are not included in this restriction.

For further clarification on the elimination of Berkley PowerBait MaxScent from Bass Pro Tour competition, visit MajorLeagueFishing.com.

"The bait has simply evolved to a point that it provides an unfair competitive advantage to Bass Pro Tour anglers that cannot use the product - whether through limited availability or competing sponsorship restrictions," Beshears continued. "That said, Berkley PowerBait MaxScent baits will still be permitted in our MLF BIG5 tournament circuits. This decision is consistent with the wishes of the majority of our Bass Pro Tour anglers."

Berkley remains a sponsor of MLF and the Bass Pro Tour, and MLF is currently in discussions with the company and its stakeholders regarding this decision.

"We are proud to be an angler-driven league and to continue to support our anglers and their livelihood with this decision," said Boyd Duckett, MLF co-founder and President of the Professional Bass Tour Anglers' Association (PBTAA). "The Alabama Rig was banned in 2013 for similar reasons and we believe this is the next crucial step to creating a level playing field and ensuring no one angler or group of anglers has an unfair advantage over the rest of the field.

"Since 2012, we have prided ourselves on listening to our anglers, providing them with excellent tournaments on premium fisheries and a game that can be played and won by any competitor. We believe the game must continue to evolve as well in order to preserve the integrity of the sport."

The Berkley PowerBait MaxScent products which are now prohibited from usage on the Bass Pro Tour are:

• PowerBait MaxScent Creature Hawg
  • PowerBait MaxScent Critter Hawg
  • PowerBait MaxScent D-Worm
  • PowerBait MaxScent Flat Worm
  • PowerBait MaxScent Flatnose Jerk Shad
  • PowerBait MaxScent Flatnose Minnow
  • PowerBait MaxScent Hit Worm
  • PowerBait MaxScent Hit Worm Magnum
  • PowerBait MaxScent Kingtail
  • PowerBait MaxScent Lizard
  • PowerBait MaxScent Lunch Worm
  • PowerBait MaxScent Meaty Chunk
  • PowerBait MaxScent Power Chunk
  • PowerBait MaxScent The General

P.S. APRIL FOOLS! 

When you fish the crystal clear waters of Maine, you can see the rubber baits all over the bottom. And Bud Light cans.