bran_dj

Brooklyn Kayak Company

56 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, Africaster said:

Schrodinger’s cat

It's 50% kayak and 50% what?

@bran_dj  They are not designers or mfrs, they're branding Chinese Alibaba kayaks they get by the containerload. That said, I don't know if they're worth the price. I've gotten plenty of Chinese knockoffs tools & electronics that were totally worth what I paid and more. I'd look into their customer service if a drive breaks.

2 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

I'd suggest looking at the complaints to the Better Business Bureau about this company.

Holy cow....they have some bad reviews. Mostly with the shipping company they used and weaseling out of warranty.

3E3B3A0B-85D9-43B2-A3C8-0BB7A71680E1.png

23 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Holy cow....they have some bad reviews. Mostly with the shipping company they used and weaseling out of warranty.

Isn't that something Hobie has been repeatedly accused of? Seems like standing behind your warranty, or having a solid one to begin with, just isn't something many companies see as a value, regardless of industry.  I always get a kick out of warranties for cars or water heaters that cover parts, but not shipping or labor that can cost far more than the part.

4 mins ago, gellfex said:

Isn't that something Hobie has been repeatedly accused of? 

It's the internet - complaints will ring and echo. Hobie fixed/replaced everything that needed fixing/replacing on my kayak, having to go through dealers instead of direct was annoying but otherwise I'd say they are a solid company and if you polled Hobie owners they'd score well above average. 

Posted (edited)

4 mins ago, buddha162 said:

It's the internet - complaints will ring and echo. Hobie fixed/replaced everything that needed fixing/replacing on my kayak, having to go through dealers instead of direct was annoying but otherwise I'd say they are a solid company and if you polled Hobie owners they'd score well above average. 

So does Brooklyn Kayaks get the same benefit of the doubt? Seems to me the whole BBB stuff is useless without knowing the scale of the business and the customer to complaint ratio. Problem all over the internet with any review site like Yelp.

As for Hobie, my take is that most Hobie owners, like owners of most sports equipment, use them very lightly and they hold up fine.  They were never designed for the heavy use guys like Elias put on them.

Edited by gellfex

9 mins ago, gellfex said:

So does Brooklyn Kayaks get the same benefit of the doubt? Seems to me the whole BBB stuff is useless without knowing the scale of the business and the customer to complaint ratio. Problem all over the internet with any review site like Yelp.

As for Hobie, my take is that most Hobie owners, like owners of most sports equipment, use them very lightly and they hold up fine.  They were never designed for the heavy use guys like Elias put on them.

Lol wtf is brooklyn kayaks? 

Define "lightly" - Elias is a one off - guy breaks kayaks he does it for a living. Despite his public row with Hobie and Old Town sponsorship he's still in an Outback that he bought with his own money. 

Sounds like a Kastking argument to me.

Do they write the same BS about the company being a group of college friends getting together and selling Chinese knock-offs as quality?

6 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Everything is fine with Hobie if you are in warranty.  Paying today's Hobie price instead of the good ole 1750 is over. You kinda want 5 years out of a a Hobie for that kinda money. Some get that and some don't. All depends on the user. 

Old Town PDL has proven to be for some a better option. A reliable track record as compared to Hobie better warranty than Hobie. Better Customer service than Hobie were you can actually call and talk to the factory or deal with the local dealer. 

Amazon reviews were funny. You get the obvious fake reviews " tracks great, fast, stable", where they visit forums or watch you tube videos to get the kayak fishing lingo. The. You have the true reviews which sneaked by the Amazon Algorithm.

6B87F556-20B8-4250-BDFC-66F6B8CE6249.png

B22CE715-288F-44FB-ABFF-AED4241625DD.png

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Everything is fine with Hobie if you are in warranty.  Paying today's Hobie price instead of the good ole 1750 is over. You kinda want 5 years out of a a Hobie for that kinda money. Some get that and some don't. All depends on the user. 

Old Town PDL has proven to be for some a better option. A reliable track record as compared to Hobie better warranty than Hobie. Better Customer service than Hobie were you can actually call and talk to the factory or deal with the local dealer. 

Definitely seems Old Town raised the bar with warranty/customer service, if they ever make an inflatable PDL I'm there

Edited by buddha162