Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wishing I was Fishing

Needlefish

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

If I'm not mistaken, the Gibbs needle fish float while the Hab's slowly sinks. They both have their place in the arsenal. Like mentioned above, the Hab's is simply a work of art and the finish holds up much better than any other handcrafted plug I've fished. Not to mention the Hab's from personal experience, cast like long range missles.wink.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Yeah Tim speakin of dem Habs plugs I was with ErikT this weekend and he had those 1oz babies and I fell in love with`em C`mon buddy pull some strings even if ya gotta cwm14.gifcwm14.gifcwm14.gif a little ...........John

They are both excellent plugs W.I.W.F..but habs makes em' in a 3 oz.[and smaller sizes] which was the first ever i have seen..had a few casters out at montauk last season huddled around that plug..one guy saw it and yelled over to his buddies"check this out guys!" i sat it on top of a rock at the bluffs and it was like a prayer session at the alter of roccus,shining flashlights on its olive green/white halo...the finish is awesome! bring on the 25 mph N/E winds!

Yeah:

All the Habs plugs have superior finishes. Used a 1.5 oz needlefish in the eel color on Cape Cod last fall and had over 100 fish on the same plug. Except for changing the bucktail and front hooks the plug looked as though it only caught 5 or so fish.

All the different Needlefish have their place. The Gibbs do float and are different in diameter from the Hab's plugs. The Hab's Plugs do sink so you can cover different depths according to you're retreive speed. they both catch fish if fished in the right areas and conditions......

By the way Don M., I chatted a few times with you at Weekapaug Bait and Tackle last season, in fact you sold me eels a few times, I'm the guy from NJ in the Black Ford. Take Care and I will be seeing you around June, Tell Charlie I said Hi!

I favor Habs (not just the needlefish) over all other wooden plugs for a lot of reasons.

Each lure is truly handcrafted, and each lure is a work of art -- one that was created by John "The Habs Guy" himself. Every chunk of wood is inspected and then after countless steps to preserve the wood and protect the awesome finish (I wish I could talk him into airbrushing my truck) John packages and ships them out as fast as he can make them.

John is a fisherman's fisherman and he knows what kind of performance an angler needs out of a lure... more importantly, he knows how to design lures that fish love.

I'll be trying them on roosters and pargo next week in Costa Rica...and I'll be fishing them with confidence!

Mike Laptew

Gibbs VS Habs Needles, Both are great fish catchers and both have their unique applications. I'll start with the Gibbs 1 ¾ oz: Contrary to what you may have read in this thread they do not float. They do glide across the water surface on retrieve creating a V wake, which is a key with this plug. Because of its surface retrieve and V wake the Gibbs is the plug of choice during flat to moderate surf conditions and when fishing boulder fields with lots of bubble weed. There is no discernable difference in casting distance between the 1 ¾ oz Gibbs and the 2 oz Habs.

The Habs 2 oz needle, Another great plug that also sinks. Upon retrieve it will ride lower in the water column than the Gibbs. Because of this it is very effective in moderate to rough surf(an application similar to the Super Strike Needle). While the Gibbs is being rolled around in rough surf, the Habs and Super Strike needles will glide unaffected lower in the water column. I hope you see a pattern here.

I've been fishing needles for a very long time. I've fished many different kinds. They all have their different applications. Learning the subtleties of each will help you enjoy your surfcasting.

DZ

I like needles.It's a go to plug for me.

I like mine to float nose high.Don't do that well with sinking ones.Probably cause I fish'em so slow.The only colors I ever use them in are all black,black/white belly,all yellow,yellow/white belly.I carry two sizes 5" and 9".I don't use a leader with snaps and a swivel sometimes either.Usually take it off in very clear flat shallow water.

I don't like the plastic ones at all.