tristate

Old School

32 posts in this topic

Had a 61 Scout in the 70s a 152 4 cyl. Put an 8 track in it. Also a carburetor, shocks, gauges, and rebuilt the wiring harness when it caught fire, wider wheels and tires, when the muffler went I replaced it with a glass pack, sounded cool. Brake jobs were simple. It had positraction front and back. It had 2nd, 4wd  with Hi and Low range in both. 2wd low range,  haven’t seen that in a long time. I had about $1,000 dollars involved. I had confidence I could get to the beach and back (90-140) depending on where in Jersey or Delaware I was bound. I sold that truck for more than I payed for it. 

I have a 2012 Pathfinder. I spent $400 twice to fix power windows that I really don’t want. Last year I needed catalytic converters on one side, this year the other side needed replacement along with sensors and some do -dad that works with the air bags that required dismantling the steering wheel.  $2500 so far this year. Now the key fobs don’t work. So long story short it seems to be some    body control module that is $1400. We are not supposed to work on our trucks anymore, but it is getting impossible financially to keep them running. Parts are out off sight and if you can get them you won’t know how to fix them. There needs to be a vehicle with a simple design and affordable parts that the average guy can keep running. There I’ve vented. 

Thanks for listening, 

An angry old man.

PS

Also my wife says I’m grumpy .

Good to hear from an oldtimer letting the youngbloods know that trucks aren't made like they used to be. I myself like older beach trucks, I'm running a 98' Explorer and in the process of putting my 91' Ford Quigley back in action. Parts are easy to get and for the most part easy to maintain. Can't see myself using a 60K truck on the sand especially the way I fish.

My current truck is a 2005 Titan. It’s old and like you said when it needs parts it’s big money. Have to do driver side cat $1500.

My first 4x4 was a 78’ Bronco. Easiest truck to work on. 351M, C6 auto, Dana 44 in the front and 9” rear. This truck was bullet proof and cheap to fix. Even with 33” tires this truck was better on gas than my Titan!

They don’t make them like they used to. Still enjoy wrenching on a simple machine. This was my second car when I was 18. Still have it.

5D709977-2545-4E3E-925D-96EBC5B23A0D.jpeg

I don’t think it’s cost effective to try to keep a vehicle for a long time anymore. There’s too many things to break and the repairs are all complicated and expensive. Just a couple of repairs can add up to a whole years worth of a new car payment. Once things start breaking trade it in fast. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

I don’t think it’s cost effective to try to keep a vehicle for a long time anymore. There’s too many things to break and the repairs are all complicated and expensive. Just a couple of repairs can add up to a whole years worth of a new car payment. Once things start breaking trade it in fast. 

Gospel.

Sad, but the times of driveway and home garage car repairs have seen better days. Down now to wiper blade replacements, most bulbs and brakes. Other than that, it goes in, including oil changes. Repair costs are crazy, they need to charge $100 an hour or more just to make a living.

I do lease my other car, affordable monthly nut ($335) and its under warranty until I turn it in, hopefully before brakes. Right now, due back in December and has 32K on it, good up to 45K so mileage won't be an issue. Next up is either a Toyota Camry or  Kia K5. The Camry is the superior car but I'm not buying, only renting, whoever gives me a better deal is the winner.

36 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Gospel.

Sad, but the times of driveway and home garage car repairs have seen better days. Down now to wiper blade replacements, most bulbs and brakes. Other than that, it goes in, including oil changes. Repair costs are crazy, they need to charge $100 an hour or more just to make a living.

I do lease my other car, affordable monthly nut ($335) and its under warranty until I turn it in, hopefully before brakes. Right now, due back in December and has 32K on it, good up to 45K so mileage won't be an issue. Next up is either a Toyota Camry or  Kia K5. The Camry is the superior car but I'm not buying, only renting, whoever gives me a better deal is the winner.

I do all my own repair work except for warranty stuff. I enjoy doing it but it is getting to be a hassle. With current designs you can’t fix anything without taking half the car apart. Even changing the oil on my wife’s 4Runner is a pain. You have to remove 3 pieces of skid plate and then the oil filter is a cartridge style that makes a mess. Plus you can only get the cartridges from Toyota. Luckily I haven’t any problems with the 4Runner yet and our other vehicle is a 2nd gen Tacoma which the only thing to break so far is front wheel bearings. 

I see the auto auctions on tv, Barret and Jackson, etc.. 15 k for a basically  new 1987 Dodge Ram or Ford Bronco. Mint. 15 k out the door. I would much rather that than buy new. That's just me. 

15 mins ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

I see the auto auctions on tv, Barret and Jackson, etc.. 15 k for a basically  new 1987 Dodge Ram or Ford Bronco. Mint. 15 k out the door. I would much rather that than buy new. That's just me. 

Strange as that seems it is a very interesting idea. I actually can’t get the truck I want from  any dealer.

I have a new hyundai kona.

it’s pretty much an allwheel drive computer.

it has this crap on it called “lane assist” which boils down to it driving itslef as long as my hands are on the wheel.

I aint fixing it, and I’ll be quick to sell it when i need to. 

30 mins ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

If you could get one from somewhere with a dry climate and no road salt usage would be great. I would love a clean low mileage XJ Cherokee.

3 hours ago, z-man said:

I do all my own repair work except for warranty stuff. I enjoy doing it but it is getting to be a hassle. With current designs you can’t fix anything without taking half the car apart. Even changing the oil on my wife’s 4Runner is a pain. You have to remove 3 pieces of skid plate and then the oil filter is a cartridge style that makes a mess. Plus you can only get the cartridges from Toyota. Luckily I haven’t any problems with the 4Runner yet and our other vehicle is a 2nd gen Tacoma which the only thing to break so far is front wheel bearings. 

There is an aftermarket company that makes an adaptor to get rid of the silly cartridge filter and change over to spin on.

2 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

There is an aftermarket company that makes an adaptor to get rid of the silly cartridge filter and change over to spin on.

Thanks. I’ll have to look into that. 

19 hours ago, z-man said:

Bought my Titan in 06. Finished paying for it in 2012. Haven’t had a car payment in 9 years. 186,000 miles.

Brakes tires and battery’s have kept it going. Did one manifold and cat, $1500 and the starter which is under the intake was around $600.  Wish I could do this work but it is involved and lots of plastic bits that I will break. Still do the brakes myself.

Been lucky with this one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, tristate said:

Strange as that seems it is a very interesting idea. I actually can’t get the truck I want from  any dealer.

i know. i am not a "car guy" but that's what i want. a good truck. gas, spark, air. i can fix that! 

i saw an old school, early 80's Jeep Cherokee Laredo. practically brand new, mint. 20 k. the auctions are the way to go. 

Edited by Nite_Bite_00