tbush

adventures in boat ownership

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have a 2005 23' Maycraft ccx with a 200 etec.  Despite a few pricey repairs to my motor, Im very happy with how she handles and fishes.   Back in January I got an engine alarm while running out to tog fish approx 22 miles out of my inlet (Cape May).  Had to pull her back and call for a tow.  Turns out the alarm was for water in the fuel.  At the advice of my tech, I drained my tank (60+) gallons and pressure tested it.  Found that the gasket on my sender was leaking  but youll have that If its installed with only 4 out of 5 bolts.  Talk about a can of damn worms....  I replaced the fuel fill hose and vent hose.  The fill hose was shot- cracked and saturated with fuel. The vent line was pretty much fine but no sense in not replacing it.   While i was wrapping up for the day I noticed my vent , located on the starboard side about 6" below the rubrail, was installed FACING FORWARD :eek:.  This style vent is about 1" in diameter x 3/4'' width and has 2 holes offset on the bottom with the forward side hole positioned perfectly to suck up salt water while running :banghd:.   Long story short,  i replaced the vent with a different style that faces aft and will not suck up any more water in the fuel tank.  Im 98% sure my tank is good but will not know for certain until I test it in the next day or so.  Good Times!!

On 3/21/2021 at 0:12 PM, tbush said:

I have a 2005 23' Maycraft ccx with a 200 etec.  Despite a few pricey repairs to my motor, Im very happy with how she handles and fishes.   Back in January I got an engine alarm while running out to tog fish approx 22 miles out of my inlet (Cape May).  Had to pull her back and call for a tow.  Turns out the alarm was for water in the fuel.  At the advice of my tech, I drained my tank (60+) gallons and pressure tested it.  Found that the gasket on my sender was leaking  but youll have that If its installed with only 4 out of 5 bolts.  Talk about a can of damn worms....  I replaced the fuel fill hose and vent hose.  The fill hose was shot- cracked and saturated with fuel. The vent line was pretty much fine but no sense in not replacing it.   While i was wrapping up for the day I noticed my vent , located on the starboard side about 6" below the rubrail, was installed FACING FORWARD :eek:.  This style vent is about 1" in diameter x 3/4'' width and has 2 holes offset on the bottom with the forward side hole positioned perfectly to suck up salt water while running :banghd:.   Long story short,  i replaced the vent with a different style that faces aft and will not suck up any more water in the fuel tank.  Im 98% sure my tank is good but will not know for certain until I test it in the next day or so.  Good Times!!

How did your adventure turn out?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I recall a similar situation with one of my fathers boats years ago. 29ft cabin/fishing boat. Kept getting fuel in the tank, no one could figure out from where, dealer and manufacturer rep kept blaming the fuel dock or us not tightening the fuel cap. We ended up installing fuel separators but had to dump them after every trip. Eventually my father and I figured out the problem. It was twofold. The tank vents were installed right below the end of the walkway to forward deck and facing forward enough that water from rain/washing and spray from running would run down the gunnel into vent. They also failed to put a loop in the vent hose to act as a water trap. Once we fixed those issues, no more water in the tanks. 

Edited by Fishjerk

On 8/14/2021 at 5:51 PM, flylikabird said:

How did your adventure turn out?

so far so good.  fuel tank is good, e tec running good... till its not :point:

My nephews boat has an undiagnosed water intrusion tank issue. He lost an outboard because of it. Has drained completely multiple times and had the issue looked at by several dealers, all of who would say it is fine. However, it was not and his separator would fill with water in 15 minutes of running. Put on a brand new mercury 4 stroke and as soon as that issues came back, he got so frustrated he put a portable external tank on it to carry out the season. 

In his case, I think the previous owner was an idiot and did something like pulled a vent line or drilled a hole into the tank doing something else. Tank could be cracked or an exposed hole somewhere too. 

Edited by NHAngler

On 3/21/2021 at 0:12 PM, tbush said:

..  I replaced the fuel fill hose and vent hose.  The fill hose was shot- cracked and saturated with fuel. 

I'm gonna guess that you have a long fill hose. Even if not, it gives me a chance to remark on something that burns me up. I've seen too many boats with poor designs re location of the fill cap and the tank. Fill lines should be as short as possible. When they're long, there's prolly gonna be a sag in there someplace where fuel is gonna pool and sit, and eat away the hose, possibly leading to disaster like a fire or explosion if it starts leaking when you're using the boat. That's not an ethanol problem, it's a design problem. The SeaCraft I once owned had a really crappy design that way. The fill spout was way up near the bow, and most of the tank was aft of the console, and I didn't like that just from looking at the arrangement. I knew something was wrong the first time I went to fill the tank, which was 90 gal. I was filling an empty tank, but I could only get in about a gallon at a time. The sensor in the gas pump handle thought the tank was full and kept shutting off. It was gonna be a short trip, so I quit after 20 gals. Used it one more time that way. At first I was confused about the cause, but it became apparent there was some kind of blockage. So I brought it to a yard and had them remove the fill line. This line was like 12' long in a 21' boat! Just assinine design. What I think causes that kind of half-assed design is that there's a designer sittin at a computer laying things out on some CADD program, but that guy isn't necessarily the greatest mind when it comes to practical (and potentially very important in safety terms) design issues. And the actual builders who know that stuff don't get enough say.

So the fill got relocated to the console, with a line about 2.5' long, mostly straight down into the tank. No way for fuel to pool in the line. Problem solved. There was no way anybody was gonna replace that 12' long line anyway; they had a hell of a time just pulling it out. :dismay: :scream:

Edited by PatchyFog

On 9/18/2021 at 7:43 PM, PatchyFog said:

I'm gonna guess that you have a long fill hose. Even if not, it gives me a chance to remark on something that burns me up. I've seen too many boats with poor designs re location of the fill cap and the tank. Fill lines should be as short as possible. When they're long, there's prolly gonna be a sag in there someplace where fuel is gonna pool and sit, and eat away the hose, possibly leading to disaster like a fire or explosion if it starts leaking when you're using the boat. That's not an ethanol problem, it's a design problem. The SeaCraft I once owned had a really crappy design that way. The fill spout was way up near the bow, and most of the tank was aft of the console, and I didn't like that just from looking at the arrangement. I knew something was wrong the first time I went to fill the tank, which was 90 gal. I was filling an empty tank, but I could only get in about a gallon at a time. The sensor in the gas pump handle thought the tank was full and kept shutting off. It was gonna be a short trip, so I quit after 20 gals. Used it one more time that way. At first I was confused about the cause, but it became apparent there was some kind of blockage. So I brought it to a yard and had them remove the fill line. This line was like 12' long in a 21' boat! Just assinine design. What I think causes that kind of half-assed design is that there's a designer sittin at a computer laying things out on some CADD program, but that guy isn't necessarily the greatest mind when it comes to practical (and potentially very important in safety terms) design issues. And the actual builders who know that stuff don't get enough say.

So the fill got relocated to the console, with a line about 2.5' long, mostly straight down into the tank. No way for fuel to pool in the line. Problem solved. There was no way anybody was gonna replace that 12' long line anyway; they had a hell of a time just pulling it out. :dismay: :scream:

The fill line and vent line are about the same length- approx. 6'.+/-  The fill cap is located midship on the gunnel parallel to the fill in the 88 gallon tank.  The belly in the line is definitely the reason it was leaking.  Your logic is sound in eliminating the fill line and replacing it with  a direct, short fill on top of the tank itself.  Too late for me as I replaced both.  

19 mins ago, tbush said:

The fill line and vent line are about the same length- approx. 6'.+/-  The fill cap is located midship on the gunnel parallel to the fill in the 88 gallon tank.  The belly in the line is definitely the reason it was leaking.  Your logic is sound in eliminating the fill line and replacing it with  a direct, short fill on top of the tank itself.  Too late for me as I replaced both.  

6' isn't bad. But a sag is gonna cause problems eventually.

As I get older I get more worried about break downs and try to make sure everything that could be fixed is. Since I fish solo most of the time I carry a full tool box and parts for things that could go the wrong way. If everything isn't perfect I don't go, just like a private aircraft.

There are no guarantees however. LOL