doublegregg

help fishing the middle of a small urban lake?

30 posts in this topic

i'm (still) fishing an urban lake, created by a dam, 10 acres, temperate climate (bay area calif), unstocked, but with LMB, supposedly some sun fish and/or native trout. i fish chiefly along the shores with ultralight lures (rapala, kastmasters, mepps, etc) on 4# mono. i use a fluoro leader. i prefer a 1/12 oz kastmaster, at this point.

 

my question is about fishing the deep middle of the lake. i'm assuming it's deep. i grab my biggest kastmasters,  around 1/4 oz, and heave them out there. i go in every conceivable direction. i vary speed, vary my retrieve, movement, etc. occasionally i may change my kastmaster color, but mostly i'm casting and occasionally changing locations. but i'll have a portion of my fishing where i'm just fishing the deeper areas with bigger lures.

 

i guess i'm probing around for wherever the fish are hanging out in the middle of the lake... 

 

would like to know if this makes sense? or is it futile to be heaving my lures to try to cover the lake ... should i try anything else? i thought metal would be good in the middle of the lake because it is so flashy, easy to get out there, and is adaptable to depth.

 

thank you!

Edited by doublegregg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might work but fish are going to be either oriented to structure or food.  Very rare that they just hang out in the middle unless there is a reason.  

 

If you can find structure (rock pile, downed tree, sudden depth change etc.) Or food (bait fish, insects, crayfish etc.)  You will find fish to catch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As @Captain Ahab said look for structure.  I really like points that have a drop off. 

 

I went out a few days ago and in  the pond I fished the bass seemed to be moving up closed to shore - I hooked 3 bass all of them were in less than 5’ of water.  I was fishing a large jerkbait very slowly - because of the cold water temps I just don’t think the bass are chasing moving baits yet. 

 

 

5B085B31-2F11-49F4-BDD6-A0FE5780C607.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather than worry about the middle, I'd mix up my lure selection and fish known structure at low-light/low-traffic hours..  1/12 oz Kastmaster isn't a terrible trout lure, but wouldn't be my first--or, honestly any--choice for largemouth.

 

Plastic paddle-taioled swimbaits, jigs, or plugs (whether deemed "jerk baits" or "crankbaits" would be better choices for bass.  So would the drop shot mentioned above, a wacky-rigged worm, etc., depending on whether you have to deal with weeds, brush, rocks, fallen trees, etc.

 

But for the most part, fishing structure will treat you better than the presumed depths at the middle of the lake.  Matching the lures to the fish that you intend to catch will also make a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned by others far wiser than I -- look for structure, then more structure. Also know what the fish are feeding on at certain times of year and in certain temps. Are they ambush predators, or opportunistic? And I know you mentioned that it's a temperate Bay Area climate, but are the fish sluggish because the water's cold, or frisky because the water's recently warmed up and has their metabolism pumping? All that being said, I second your choice of lure: if there's one type I've had more luck with than any other over the years, in moving water, lakes, and ponds, it's the Kastmaster -- in chrome or gold, it hardly matters which. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 LMB are still moving slow there not going to chase a small Kastmaster bot would go after a large slow moving plug.605650bac820c_FishonhomemadeDarter1.jpg.c25a2cb385bc4e2e85210f833d5602a2.jpg

 

Oh and as for your avatar l lived around the corner from Woody Guthrie in Coney lsland in the 50s and 60s never got to meet him but there was always someone now and then playing a guitar at on the beach at 36 street. it could of been Woody.

 

Big plus nice an slow

Edited by LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would look into a power drop shot rig or a Tokyo rig maybe half oz will allow you some distance and you can put any soft plastic you want on with a wide gap worm hook and make it weedless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LB said:

 LMB are still moving slow there not going to chase a small Kastmaster bot would go after a large slow moving plug.605650bac820c_FishonhomemadeDarter1.jpg.c25a2cb385bc4e2e85210f833d5602a2.jpg

 

Oh and as for your avatar l lived around the corner from Woody Guthrie in Coney lsland in the 50s and 60s never got to meet him but there was always someone now and then playing a guitar at on the beach at 36 street. it could of been Woody.

 

Big plus nice an slow

I’m a firm believer in throwing bigger baits - especially this time of year.  The water is still cold but the fish will move for a big slow high protein meal. 
 

kudos to you for throwing big baits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tysm guys for the great advice... ok, so tossing even my biggest kastmaster out (blindly) is NOT be a very productive way to find fish... it's such a small lake, i thought it would be a good idea......


right now, i'm not that into worms and plastics at this point.  maybe later,tho.  - but if my kastmaster fetish is not suited to lmb, i'll switch to plugs (i have rapalas). . i enjoy retrieving plugs and spoons, etc..  and maybe later, i'll switch to the fake worms, and i assume carolina or texas rigs...

 

the water temp at my lake was 56F at the shore. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

56 for bass usually means slow and low.  Trout on the other hand will be aggressive.  Try an inline spinners for the trout.  Float and fly (small jig) can be deadly for both species

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 mins ago, doublegregg said:

tysm guys for the great advice... ok, so tossing even my biggest kastmaster out (blindly) is NOT be a very productive way to find fish... it's such a small lake, i thought it would be a good idea......


right now, i'm not that into worms and plastics at this point.  maybe later,tho.  - but if my kastmaster fetish is not suited to lmb, i'll switch to plugs (i have rapalas). . i enjoy retrieving plugs and spoons, etc..  and maybe later, i'll switch to the fake worms, and i assume carolina or texas rigs...

 

the water temp at my lake was 56F at the shore. 

 

As everyone else has pointed out you def should be looking for structure, not out in the middle of the water, despite that being deepest. I caught my biggest large mouth in about a foot of water on a hot summer day, it was seeking shade next to a fallen down tree in the water. 
 

You should be trying other stuff than kastmasters though. Def switch it up to plastics like worms rigged Texas style. Here in NJ, I think you mentioned your in CA, but here in NJ for some reason large mouth bass in the waters I fish love the zoom lizards. We don’t even have native lizards in NJ, yet bass  in the fresh waters I fish slay them vs regular senkos or other worm plastic. 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Bass will be moving up shallow to spawn soon. Cranks and slow-roll spinnerbaits in drop-offs and points near flats where it transitions from shallow to deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, MattieG said:

As everyone else has pointed out you def should be looking for structure, not out in the middle of the water, despite that being deepest. I caught my biggest large mouth in about a foot of water on a hot summer day, it was seeking shade next to a fallen down tree in the water. 
 

You should be trying other stuff than kastmasters though. Def switch it up to plastics like worms rigged Texas style. Here in NJ, I think you mentioned your in CA, but here in NJ for some reason large mouth bass in the waters I fish love the zoom lizards. We don’t even have native lizards in NJ, yet bass  in the fresh waters I fish slay them vs regular senkos or other worm plastic. 


 

ty... i'll keep the plastics in mind. i prefer throwing plugs, tho... uh, maybe the fish don't prefer it, tho, lol...!  

 

i'll stay out of the deep waters. i was spending a couple hours tossing my kastmaster out there... i love tossing those things, tho. i even like the sound the big (1/4 oz, lol) ones make landing in the water. sometimes they sound like a dinner plate...a big phat splash. it's satisfying, but not catching anything will catch up with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you prefer casting and working spoons and plugs to working plastics, consider spinnerbaits or other spoons.  There have been tons of bass caught on Johnson Silver minnows (try a trailer) and I think Daredevil type spoons are more traditional than kastmasters for bass fishing. With a bit heavier setup you'll be able to get a bit further from shore to fish structure you can't reach with a UL setup...or at least I can't

Edited by rathrbefishn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.