CT river boating

Rate this topic

GerGa

Hi guys I used my first boat on some lakes last season and looking to possibly go for stripers in the CT river this spring.  I was wondering if anyone has much experience on the river.  My boat is smaller, a 14.5 ft Lund WC14 w/25hp engine and I just don't know if it is suitable for the CT river.  I'm more concerned with the big boats throwing huge wakes.  Looking at the Middletown area or even below the I95 bridge at the mouth.  If anyone has any insight that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by GerGa

Hi Gerga, yeah there are some dickheads on the river throwing huge wakes but you should be fine with this boat. I've used a tandem kayak both around the Goodspeed Bridge and down around the mouth of the river without too much problem. Just stay aware and be ready to turn into the wake a large boat throws your way. If you can go weekdays instead of weekends, so much the better. Lotsa googans got into boating due to covid, they're real weekend warriors. 

13 hours ago, Good2Go said:

Hi Gerga, yeah there are some dickheads on the river throwing huge wakes but you should be fine with this boat. I've used a tandem kayak both around the Goodspeed Bridge and down around the mouth of the river without too much problem. Just stay aware and be ready to turn into the wake a large boat throws your way. If you can go weekdays instead of weekends, so much the better. Lotsa googans got into boating due to covid, they're real weekend warriors. 

Norwalk harbor was a literal minefield last July. Always has been bad, but it just got scary

big wakes shouldn't be a problem - most of the fishy areas, even south of the bridge are no wake zones anyway.  just stay north of the breakwaters and you'll be fine in a boat of that size.  if anything, you'll have an advantage because you can get up on some of the flats and gravel bars that the larger boats won't go near.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

On 3/20/2021 at 9:23 AM, Eye_dock said:

Norwalk harbor was a literal minefield last July. Always has been bad, but it just got scary

Sat out last year (I'm normally out of Norwalk). Just curious if you're referring to heavy traffic in general or a ton of new boat googans? Definitely seemed like a lot more accidents in the western LIS last year. Cheers.

9 hours ago, writefish1 said:

Sat out last year (I'm normally out of Norwalk). Just curious if you're referring to heavy traffic in general or a ton of new boat googans? Definitely seemed like a lot more accidents in the western LIS last year. Cheers.

Yes to both

Thanks everyone.

I don't have poles setup for stripers just poles for general pond fishing.

I was thinking Ugly Stik striper rods 7'mh (3/8-1oz lure rating), and Daiwa BG spinning reels.  I was told a 2500 or 3000 reel would be fine, so was thinking a BG 3000.

Any opinions on reel size?  And is Berkley big game 12lb mono fine or should i go heavier?

Looking to throw out crankbait, poppers, soft plastics. Probably getting 2 poles.

Thanks

Edited by GerGa

Not sure if all makers sizes compare but I'd likely be no lower than a 5000, max 7' rod, and why not 20# braid? Stonger than the mono, not as susceptible to line twist. Just tie a fluoro or mono leader direct to braid, no more than 3.5-4 foot. 

Edited by Good2Go
undoing spell check

• 2 weeks later...

You can launch at great island in Old Lyme, head south and you will be just east of the break wall and away from the boat traffic. The fishing is good in that area but you need to learn the sandbars, it's all soft bottom. I kayak fish there a lot just go at low tide and you will see the layout. I use a penn battle 3000 with 20# braid (look at the new battle 3) and I have no problem even with big fish.