LockedDrag

Hard lead vs soft lead

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Purity of the lead.   Anything hard is alloyed with other metals.  

I've been casting weights with some really hard stuff. It's was PITA to work with but I did it. 

Pure lead is so nice to pour.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

21 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Purity of the lead.   Anything hard is alloyed with other metals.  

I've been casting weights with some really hard stuff. It's was PITA to work with but I did it. 

Pure lead is so nice to pour.  

So soft lead is easier to work with? Does the hardness matter? I figure it doesn’t make much of a difference if it’s all going to be bouncing bottom and chipping regardless

I used to buy rolls of soft roofing lead sheet.  But, it's getting hard to find because of concerns from the nanny state.

After melting & cleanin lead scrap for years, I'd just buy pure lead from rotometals.   

Sure I saved money, but spent alot time.   

I've got around 70lbs of old roofing sheeting to process still.  I'm waiting for a nice day so i can do it outside.  Soo smoky & stinky with all that tar stuck to it.  But when it's done it's nice lead. 

Lookin at the weather. Maybe this week.  

* I've just started getting into casting fishing stuff in 2020, all my other casting was for shooting and decoy anchor weights.  Lots of cheap shotgun slugs & buck from promo trap loads.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Didn't know rotometals sold on Amazon.  

1roll is 50lbs6055ac8d7856b_Capture_2021-03-20-04-00-46.png.aebcdd8e491e42cd844595ae3b43a9f0.png

Or if u want 1lb bars. $100 or more is free shipping from their site. 6055acc7cc009_Capture_2021-03-20-04-02-44.png.b20e932cfefe13147fabcc957e029515.png

Personally I'm done with big pieces.  1lb blocks from now on.   

Edited by PSegnatelli

Using pure lead for jig heads is fine, but when it comes to sinkers, use anything that melts in your pot. Wheel weights, type metal , unknown but low temp melt is fine. Tin and antimony are the two most common metals that are alloyed with lead to make it harder and produce finer detail.in the finished product.They are also slightly lighter than lead,  Also a thin section lure, like a sandeel, should have some % of them to keep the lure from bending &.chipping Best teacher is experience, but be careful.

I've had good luck buying lead from ebay.  If their photo shows a shape that is obviously melted, like an ingot or muffin, then I'm confident I can melt it in my do-it melter.  Haven't had any issues painting.

IMG-0175.jpg

Soft lead for sinkers and jigheads. Yes, they do dent easily so the paint does chip off easily.  

Hard lead for lures like Diamond Jigs or Butterfly jigs.  You don't want these bending with the softness of pure lead.

3 hours ago, dieselgrady said:

anything that melts in your pot. Wheel weights, type metal , unknown but low temp melt is fine.

But what you will find if it's not pure lead is sinkers or jig heads will be lighter, that could be a good thing bigger profile with less weight.

Been casting my own jigs and sinkers for more years than I care to admit to. I started out with wheel weights and graduated to "pig"  lead from the plumbing supply and wound up using rolled shower pan lead from the plumbing supply.  I am told shower pan lead is the purest and softest you can buy.

It just isn't worth the trouble to use hard lead on jigs. Blank spots you get on the shank of the hook is really irritating! Soft lead is worth the extra $.

I will cast Tog and Cod sinkers from hard lead because the molds don't have intricate shapes so you don't get blank areas and I lose a lot of those. I can live with the fact that they aren't spot on in weight.

Marc

Edited by mml4