Capt.Castafly

Fish Finders in Fly Fishing !

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone notice my catch rate up? ..... Bigger fish?

Clients coming back more often, even in the pandemic?

There's a reason, Technology?

Yes! I have used nature and birds to find feeding fish, nothing better?

Yes! I have used drones to find surface blitzing fish at a distance.

Yes! I have used fish / depth finders with added resolution and more scope.

But the biggest advances by far and game changer last season was the addition of an underwater camera.  

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

I took advantage of the "get a second one and just pay the shipping and processing fee" offer and was disappointed that both were the same color (thought they'd at least mix things up).  One thing I noticed is that it came almost two weeks earlier than I expected.....

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have had enough experience with an Everglades backcountry tarpon guide to set me off on a new, technological quest.  I noticed as we were running the maze of the channels that there were occaisonal fish symbols on his gps map.  I didn't give them much thought until he ran a complicated back maze and emerged on a river and cut the engine.  All was quiet, without sign of life.  He asked to see my tarpon rod and began fixing the bite tippet and tied on a fly of his choice.  I noticed a fish symbol on his map.  We waited about 10 minutes but nothing showed.

Finally he shrugged and directed my attention to an overhanging tall mangrove tree on the far bank.  He instructed me that as he poled up quietly I was to drop the fly against the bank exactly at the base of the trunk, let it sink to the count of five, and begin a slow retrieve.  I noticed the fish symbol on the map...now right off the bow.

Bullsh#t, I thought.  In the dark water, visibility was zero.  No one has fish symbols for exactly where individual fish are!  But I did as he instructed.  On the second slow strip I saw a deep golden flash and thought....No Way!  And then things came tight and we were off to the races for 8 jumps before my backing snarled and the fish broke off.  70-80#.

Later, he shut down along a shoreline and began poling toward another fish symbol.  Now he had my full attention.  Right under that bush, he instructed, look hard.  If you see anything at all on the bottom that looks out of place, put the fly first 4 feet on one side, then 4 feet on the other side, or whichever side you think might be a head.  In the tannin stained water I looked hard, and eventually vaguely saw what looked to me exactly like a sunken tree branch single line.  I see a branch, I told the guide.  Cast to it, he replied, it might be a fish.

Bullsh#t, I thought to myself, its a branch, so I cast right onto it.  The explosion rocked the boat as a 100# tarpon fled.

Too close.....the guide said, and shrugged.  You have got to find the head end, and then get it in front of it, but not too close, or too hard.

I have more similar stories.  So what is my quest?  Find a side-shooting sonar that will show me the outline of a laid up tarpon in that kind of water....to the degree that I can see which is the head or tail end.

I have bought a promising unit.  Now I just need to get my vaccinated a## back to my flats boat in Miami and back to those fish symbols.

Coming to the Cape in June, by the way, 5th thru 19th, with a group.

Edited by Peter Patricelli

Not an underwater camera but does “see” sideways underwater, Got a Simrad EVO last fall. At first it seemed out of place on the little console but now can’t imagine being without it. Great seeing snook under docks and hanging next bridge pilings.  Also sea trout on grass flats. Well worth the $$$$

I strapped mine to a sea robin, released it at Watch Hill (after extensive training of course) the fish made its way up Taylor Swifts plumbing and now I'm a Gazillionaire!!!!!  

2 hours ago, Beomurf said:

I strapped mine to a sea robin, released it at Watch Hill (after extensive training of course) the fish made its way up Taylor Swifts plumbing and now I'm a Gazillionaire!!!!!  

See ..... I'd don't have any idea how to train a fish except maybe spreading some bait or pellets to bring it back?

I would hate to lose a expensive camera. Some bigger fish too could eat him up!

I take and put a tether and tie it to the harness and free spool the reel. 

On 3/19/2021 at 6:49 AM, Capt.Castafly said:

But the biggest advances by far and game changer last season was the addition of an underwater camera.  

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

Nice underwater camera, hoping to get one soon

On 3/19/2021 at 7:49 AM, Capt.Castafly said:

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

The young lady bowling was the best!