Striper1851

Trolling Motor Question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Decided to make the leap and installed a bow mounted MinnKota Riptide Terrova (24V, 80lb, 60”) on a 19’ boat. After the much more than nickel and dime additional things needed that added up fast for the installation came to more than expected. Oh well, it’s a boat

I do a lot of salmon/trout trolling in deep Maine lakes, so no brainer to keep tracks on my spots and circle around in deep water. 

I to plan to also use for inshore saltwater on the MA Northshore for Stripers.

My questions is for those who have gone this route: does the spot lock work well enough with incoming waves for holding close off rocks (i.e North Shore) to flip mackerel or surface plugs? How much trust do these iPilots have to keep me off the rocks at a reasonable distance if I have a solid fish (assuming batteries and motor working as expected, of course)? Any experienced comments appreciated.

Edited by Striper1851

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanx for reply, still haven't really tried out due to non-windy weather and didn't actual fish, but will post when I do.

Edited by Striper1851

Wait till you try it for cod and haddock, holding yourself right on a pile of fish or slowing your drift to keep your line straight up and down, a real game changer!