Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rick G

Abu 7500 CT/Big Game Drag?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Earlier this season,i purchased an Abu 7500 CT reel and i'm really liking this new winch lately,line size/capacity,very smooth casting.

I know the Abu's have never been known for a strong drag,so i installed the "extreme smoothie" drag washers in hope to get some better pressure.Two main questions:

Shoul'd the drag make a "clicking noise" when the line pulls off of the spool? I'm not sure if this is normal,i installed the new washers before fishing this reel,and it makes a clicking noise every turn of the spool?...please say yes!!

Also,i have to really wrench down on the star drag knob to get any useable drag pressure,i thought the smoothies would help here,but this puppy is almost fully locked down to get a good,useable drag spooled with 50# spectron,maybe this is just normal for the Abu?

Thanks for any help here crew,its the 11th hour of the season,herring are in,and there still catching blues up north..the only fat lady singing will be at the end of your line,with the drag peeling [clicking icon15.gif ]from your spool! Go get em!!!

The clicking is normal.I put extreme smoothies(from the SOL store) in my 7000 series abus and have the same reaction as you-the reel doesn't get as tight as I'm used to.My 7500c3ct was the worst-pretty easy to pull drag with the star locked down.I pulled it back apart and found that some oil from the RH bearing had migrated into the drag washer stack.I cleaned it all up with brake cleaner and reassembled the reel with only a very small amount of oil in the bearing.Much better;but still a lot different from what I've gotten used to.7000pro rocket and 7000c3 with the smoothies are the same-hard to get the drag to tighten all the way down.Might be a good thing once we get used to it.