Quinapoxet Dam removal??

Rate this topic

zak-striper

The water at the 'Chu is pretty low at the moment, at 88% in early March.

The last time it was that low, 85%, in April/May of 2015, was when they dropped the water level for the water main replacement near the causeway.

I've recently seen it mentioned on Facebook that the Quini river dam might finally be coming down. Is the water level drop in response to the work? Has anyone heard of the dam removal starting in '21?

I did a little digging on line to see if there was any news about the dam. I found the following from the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority websites:

https://www.mwra.com/projects/water/7347-quinapoxetdam/7347-update.html

https://www.mwra.com/01news/2021/030121-quinapoxet-dam-notice.html

And the following: 

(NTP=Notice to Proceed and SC= Substantial Completion)

quini.jpg.75af9c7275abb999c378a6249f0f2f0e.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

Interesting.   That's been talked about for years.  The reason thrown out for not doing so was the DCR was concerned that when the dam was removed, decades of toxins would be released into the watershed.    The old Holden dump was located about a mile upstream from the dam.   The dump was also located on a hill just above the Quinapoxet River. 

You're not allowed to stick your big toe into the Chu, for fear of getting fined.  But a town dump located on the banks of a river flowing into Boston's water supply is A Ok. ;)

The Sultan of Sluggo

I sent an email last august

Here is the response:

Thanks for your inquiry Mr. O'Connor.  I am glad to hear that you enjoy fishing the Quinapoxet River.

Work towards removal of the Quinapoxet Dam is a collaboration between MWRA, DCR-Division of Water Supply Protection (DCR), and Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game Division of Ecological Restoration (DER). A feasibility study for removing the dam was prepared by Milone and MacBroom (MMI) in June 2016. This study included development of topographic mapping, geomorphic characterization, hydrologic and hydraulic analysis, geotechnical borings, wetlands delineation, and sediment sampling.

The feasibility study included sampling and analysis for both sediment and substrate. Through a pebble count analysis and analysis of grain size, it was determined that the bed is largely comprised of coarse-grained sand/gravel/cobble. MMI reasons that the absence of fine-grained sediments can mean a lower risk of contamination. Sediment samples were collected from the bed and soil samples were collected from overbank areas and tested pursuant to 314CMR 9.07(2) and DEP Policy Com-97.001. The results were compared to MCP Reportable Concentrations. MMI indicates that all of the results were “not detected” and/or were less than the reportable concentration. They’ve indicated that contaminant levels appear consistent upstream, within, and downstream of the impoundment and that the dam removal process will not require special handling or provisions.

Work currently continues towards advancing to a final design with Milone and MacBroom. MMI will be refining the conceptual design and preparing plans for MEPA, DEP, and local conservation commission permitting. A detailed sediment management plan for both construction phase and post-dam removal phase is also being developed. This plan will identify mitigation measures to assure flow velocities of the restored river reaches will not cause erosion. Turbidity in the water will be monitored during the construction process. 

I will also mention that the Town of Holden is required to monitor the landfill off of River Street in Holden and submit a report to DEP. They have a consultant under contract for this work and they also include our office in their reporting. They regularly monitor the leachate and the Quinapoxet River itself through a series of 32 groundwater monitoring wells and 25 sampling sites. Reports indicate that the leachate is contaminated with naturally occurring arsenic and other metals that are mobilized by reducing conditions caused by the landfill. However, all testing has shown no contamination of the river. Their report also indicates that they’ve observed groundwater at roughly 50 to 58 feet below grade, and the bottom of the solid waste material is approximately 40 feet below grade. They therefore conclude that groundwater is not in contact with the solid waste material present.

I hope this information is informative and helpful. 

Bill Hickey
DCR Community Relations 

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

When the dam is removed, I wonder if LL will spawn there like the Stillwater?

I would think so. Won't it be great to have more areas for people to rip spawners off of their redds?

Embrace American Privilege

9 hours ago, DAQ said:

I would think so. Won't it be great to have more areas for people to rip spawners off of their redds?

Like what people do fishing for spawning steelhead in NY and PA?

Edited by ged