skinnywater

Selling a collection

40 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

I hear ya, I heard it was impressive. I have  quite the large collection of Penn Spinfishers, every one of the first four generations to be exact, and many more custom reels I have done over the years. All my stuff is displayed, about 2500 plus  lures, and about 200-300 Penn reels, takes up some room, but is neat to see. I also collect anything fishing related.

Every time someone gives me a hard time about my reels I think of the pictures I have seen of your PENN collection.  

9 mins ago, ged said:

Every time someone gives me a hard time about my reels I think of the pictures I have seen of your PENN collection.  

Thanks man, being the zb guy you are, I think you would like the polished Penn I have just about done. A lot of custom work and parts.. I will post it when I am done in the drilled Penns thread.

I must say I just hope my wife doesn’t sell them for $1 a piece at a yard sale. I mentioned this to her once and she told me “You really think I don’t know what they are worth after how much you spend on them” .

I have seen a few of your collections on here and must say they are Very Cool. 

10 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

Thanks man, being the zb guy you are, I think you would like the polished Penn I have just about done. A lot of custom work and parts.. I will post it when I am done in the drilled Penns thread.

When I look at my stuff I wonder if I have a problem. When I first saw a picture of your collection I thought, man he needs an intervention!

Few people want to buy a collection that has already been collected.  The joy of collecting is the hunt.  If you're going to sell a collection of anything do it one piece at a time if you can and spread it out over time.

5 hours ago, mako capt said:

Few people want to buy a collection that has already been collected.  The joy of collecting is the hunt.  If you're going to sell a collection of anything do it one piece at a time if you can and spread it out over time.

Not sure I agree with this.  When I was collecting, whole collections were key.  I'd buy a lot of 100 to get 75 I wanted.  The hunt is fun but to some collectors it's about the quarry, not the hunt.  Sorta like some guys like the fight of a striper and fish light gear.  Others like that picture on the mantle and will fish 100 pound test to get the fish in to take that pic.

Check out the auction that I just listed in the thread above. It's incredible.

I've been a collector of NY baits since I met Frank Pintauro. Before that, I was a plug hoarder; who fished the hoard.

I have sold Pichney, Musso & Krystock collections; but I  never sold an entire collection to one person. I have traded all my darters to one & my needles to another. I simply lost interest when I moved on to earlier baits; so they had to go.

I get enjoyment out of what I collect and that is worth alot to me.

But, when it's time to go, it's gone. I try to get as much money or baits as I can for them; but alot go for less than I paid. That's when the enjoyment factor kicks in. Every day that I had them was worth something.

I have recently gotten into 19th century NY metal; so I guess that means my Russo's, Snook Baits & Kendens are the next to go. But for right now; I'm still a buyer of those builders.

Keeps me out of jail. Stay safe. B

5 hours ago, DaveC said:

Not sure I agree with this.  When I was collecting, whole collections were key.  I'd buy a lot of 100 to get 75 I wanted.  The hunt is fun but to some collectors it's about the quarry, not the hunt.  Sorta like some guys like the fight of a striper and fish light gear.  Others like that picture on the mantle and will fish 100 pound test to get the fish in to take that pic.

I agree that 'whole collections' are great; but few & far between. I've always enjoyed the hunt.

On 3/18/2021 at 8:15 PM, 7 Rivers said:

Whoa let’s see! I must have missed these pics. 

31 mins ago, 1badf350 said:

Whoa let’s see! I must have missed these pics. 

Lol, just about done, i will let you know when i post it...

to really answer this question one would need to known what your trying to sell...baskets full of plastic beaters...high end vintage mint condition plugs...if its a basket full of beaters dump them all in one cheap lot....mint high end vintage plugs..post them two at a time....dumping a lot only means you'll be getting beat down in price because the money total will be to high for most...the money guys are fast dumping their collections because of all the bs that's flying around...and not looking to buy anymore.

Over a 30 yr. time frame I bought,sold and collected bamboo rods. I had a Vietnam buddy who came back from the service in rough shape from agent orange. He worked in the Leonard bamboo shop and then that got difficult , He was a master rod restorer, but anyways I bought rods from auctions and Ebay that he would restore, and I would sell so he could make a living. Fast forward 10 yrs. I just sold my best rods to a collector over the years who  bought a dozen or so rods. Sold all to him for a lot less than value, but it went to someone who appreciated cane. All good karma

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/19/2021 at 6:25 PM, bob jones said:

I agree that 'whole collections' are great; but few & far between. I've always enjoyed the hunt.

i was never as big a collector as some here but what i did collect i enjoyed the hunt the most.

Edited by big popper

On 4/12/2021 at 4:52 PM, RAW said:

Over a 30 yr. time frame I bought,sold and collected bamboo rods. I had a Vietnam buddy who came back from the service in rough shape from agent orange. He worked in the Leonard bamboo shop and then that got difficult , He was a master rod restorer, but anyways I bought rods from auctions and Ebay that he would restore, and I would sell so he could make a living. Fast forward 10 yrs. I just sold my best rods to a collector over the years who  bought a dozen or so rods. Sold all to him for a lot less than value, but it went to someone who appreciated cane. All good karma

nothing wrong with that.you enjoyed them now someone else is thats how it should be.