Old photo, my dad and I

Rate this topic

bob_G

1 hour ago, capecodder said:

I believe I see an old Fenwick rod with a Mitchell reel. Cork tape on the rod and the reel taped on with electrical tape. No reel seat needed.

That was the process during that time frame to tape the reel to the rod . It made the reel warmer to hold during the colder months The old Mitchells were noisy but they kept on ticking under many different fishing conditions. Peace and Prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

1 min ago, Angler #1 said:

That was the process during that time frame to tape the reel to the rod . It made the reel warmer to hold during the colder months The old Mitchells were noisy but they kept on ticking under many different fishing conditions. Peace and Prayers

I have an old Fenwick glass rod.the things a beast.

troll #122  <*)))<

1 min ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I have an old Fenwick glass rod.the things a beast.

I have one still in my collection down stairs , it was made up by Charlie Whitney with all of the fixings and it belongs to my middle son. Yes they were good rods in the surf and held up well when the fish got to be brutes. I would also say that the lami super cutter was also a great surf rod and both rods good make a good cast with a plug or with weights  Peace and Prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Just now, Angler #1 said:

I have one still in my collection down stairs , it was made up by Charlie Whitney with all of the fixings and it belongs to my middle son. Yes they were good rods in the surf and held up well when the fish got to be brutes. I would also say that the lami super cutter was also a great surf rod and both rods good make a good cast with a plug or with weights  Peace and Prayers

I was casting a softball with a threaded rod and eye bolt thru it at the casting event, 9 ounces

troll #122  <*)))<

2 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I was casting a softball with a threaded rod and eye bolt thru it at the casting event, 9 ounces

I recall that little casting demo from another time . Just think of how far you can still put a plug or a even a Jig with that combo. I am still hoping we get to have the super cutter redone , so some can experience how it was back in another time , before all of these graphite rods came along. Peace and Prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

On 3/18/2021 at 10:43 PM, capecodder said:

I had the same IH Scout, same color (come to think of it I think that’s the only color they are in early on) mine was the pickup version. I think gasoline was about 20cents back then. 

Cool picture

Yeah, October 1973 was just before the first OPEC oil embargo, when the price of gas doubled. By Christmas it was about 70 cents/gallon.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

One of my old Scouts was a 3 speed 4 cylinder, but it was an early Scout II. Not a highway truck at all, but that was ok because I owned it when I lived on Nantucket. I called it my Tonka Truck, and it was great  on the beach.

profile pic Penn Squidder, Lami 01166, Atom 40. 1975 or so. My go to for a couple of years when I was a kid.....

20 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

I had a 69 Scout 800 also with the 4 cylinder. That thing was unstoppable off road. Definitely not a highway machine though. If I remember correctly, it was a 156 ci motor at about 80hp. :laugh:.

80mph! :laugh: .  I couldn't get mine to go over 60.  It was great, I never got stopped by the cops because I couldn't go fast enough.  The downside was, girls were not impressed.

The Sultan of Sluggo

12 mins ago, bob_G said:

80mph! :laugh: .  I couldn't get mine to go over 60.  It was great, I never got stopped by the cops because I couldn't go fast enough.  The downside was, girls were not impressed.

No! 80 hp (horsepower). 60 mph was definitely top end on those little pigs. And the girls not being impressed is an understatement. :laugh: We had to go most places in my girlfriends car because she was embarrassed to be seen in my Scout. :shrug: :laugh:

6 hours ago, bob_G said:

These days girls would be all over that thing. Until they got in and the mackerel stench hit them like a freight train

9 hours ago, b-ware said:

Out here in western mass. if you wanted to go off roading with your scout you always had your buddy tag along with his Jeep or Powerwagon...............

For rescue and towing puposes...............

I had a 1972 Wagoneer that was pretty much unstoppable--provided that it started. The electrical system didn't like water.

GM 350, Turbo 400 tranny, Dana 20 transfer case, with HD Warn hubs. I never had to drop it into 4wd Lo.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver