7XXz bearings.

Rate this topic

I can't take apart the bearings on my 700z reels.  My fingers just get the ring out to take the sheilds off.  Not the bearings it's me.  So I'm getting new ones.  

Any great bearing replacements?  Figure if I'm gonna order new bearings anyway, might as well upgrade.  

lf your trying to get the pinion bearing out and it won't come out remove the spool shaft remove the rotor un-screw the three retaining screws that hold down the cover that holds down the pinion bearing put some penetrating oil on the outer race of the bearing remount the rotor without the bearing retaining cover & screws and pull it apart a little heat would help if it won't budge.

Get the bearings with rubber seals they keep water out for some amount of time and if you need to clean out the bearings the seals pop of easily, clean re-grease, and push seals back on, it's not that easy to do with metal shield bearings.

Get bearing with a number that ends with xxx2rs which means two rubber seals.

Edited by LB

I got the bearings out fine. But they feel like they're chunked up with dried grease.  The rest of the reel was nearly seized with grease so dry it was powdered.  

I wanted to service the bearings, but I physically can't get the sheild off.  My hands are too weak & shaky.   Just not worth it.    I'll probably throw the bearings in a jar with Hoppes for awhile then blow them around with some compressed air and keep them for backup. 

I see the rubber sealed bearings and ceramic ones.  

Just looking for opinions. 

I see bearings by Fast Eddy. Rubber sheilds.   Any thoughts on them?

Edited by PSegnatelli

On 3/18/2021 at 11:03 AM, PSegnatelli said:

I got the bearings out fine. But they feel like they're chunked up with dried grease.  The rest of the reel was nearly seized with grease so dry it was powdered.  

I wanted to service the bearings, but I physically can't get the sheild off.  My hands are too weak & shaky.   Just not worth it.    I'll probably throw the bearings in a jar with Hoppes for awhile then blow them around with some compressed air and keep them for backup. 

I see the rubber sealed bearings and ceramic ones.  

Just looking for opinions. 

I see bearings by Fast Eddy. Rubber sheilds.   Any thoughts on them?

When I re-built and “Staaled” my 704z I replaced the bearings with Boca ceramic bearings, the $28 ones. I used their lightning oil not grease, to lubricate the bearings. Still slick as greased lightning even after three seasons of plenty of dunking and abuse.

Thanks guys.   

I went with the FastEddy brand.  

I have all my oem bearings sitting in some WD40.   Ill give em a good spin with air. Then oil them and keep them for spares. 

I'd like to try the ceramic ones but too pricey for me.  

13 hours ago, handi2 said:

Many of the Penn reels use that same size bearing. From the Z series to the International 30’s. 

Was your bearing all metal or did it have a white nylon inner race? 

All the same size.  704z, 710z & 712z. Of the 5 bearings.  One had a white nylon inner.  That one bearing spins the best.  They are all sitting in WD40.   I'm waiting on more canned air & the new bearings. 

I'm going to try and take one of the new ones with the rubber seals apart.   If It's a PITA I will just buy a bunch more and consider them a consumable and replace as needed.  

Alright. So I got 99% of my parts (waiting on bail springs but only one needs a new one atm a 712z)  i have 5 of 6 assembled. 

710z, 714z, (2) 704z, and (1 of 2) 712z.  

All but the 712z work great and reel nicely.  

The 712z works but feels like I'm reeling really sluggish.  Backwards reels nice, smooth and if you give the handle a spin will continue to reel.  Forward I hear no grinding, but it's like I filled the thing with putty.  Tried oem bearing & a new bearing.  Same.  

Going to break it down again, maybe I missed something, try some of the new guts I just got.