bennie

Redoing you yard

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lawn 102

1. Test the soil to see what it needs with a soil test kit.

2. Amend the soil based on the test results.

3. Determine if you need sun or shade grass depending on how many hour of sunlight the areas of your lawn gets.

4. Find out what agricultural growing zone you are living in and plant turf sun or shade grass seed that grows well in your zone.

5. Use a slow release starter fertilizer before you seed.

6. Do not cut the new grass until it has established it roots and is at least 2 plus inches long.

7. Perennial grass grows best in the cool seasons, so fall is best for planting new grass. Spring is OK if you are willing to water into the warm season. Water newly planted seed once a day for about ten minutes if needed until the new grass get about 2" tall. 

8. Fertilize twice in the Fall and if you have weeds use a fertilizer with weed killer. 

9. Feed once in the very early Spring with preemergent fertilizer to prevent crab grass and adventurous weeds from germinating.

10. Keep your grass height about 3" plus to retain moisture and discourage weeds during the warm season.

11. Cut frequently so you are not removing more than 1/3 of the grass plant.

12. If you in live area with trees you need to get the leave off the lawn in the Fall. They leaves smother the grass and make the soil more acidic.

13. Grass plants have a life spawn of 3 to 5 years so you will need to reseed weak areas of your lawn periodically. After 3 years I can see where the the sunny and shade grasses are doing well, so I have a better guide as to where to reseed shade grass and sunny grass areas.

14. Make sure your mower blades are sharp so you cut the grass instead of tearing it up and ripping the newly established grass plants out of the ground. If the tops of your grass plants look like they were ripped instead of cut. sharpen your blades.

I live on a wooded lot so I planted shade grass in the low light areas and sun grass in the sunny locations. My lawn it too large to water, so some grass plants may go dormant Mid-Summer, but they come back in the Fall.

Southern stains of turf grass as just about the opposite of Northern and transition zone grasses and they green up and May and brown out in September, so you need to feed and water them during their warm growing season. 

If you do those things you will have a great yard without using insecticides and pesticides.

Most consumer quality seeds and fertilizers are the cheapest junk the sellers can find, so your newley planted grass may not survive in your growing zone. It may sprout, but it will not hang on throughout the year.

No wonder folks consider lawns evil.

Edited by Jay Blair

18 hours ago, Jay Blair said:

Lawn 102

1. Test the soil to see what it needs with a soil test kit.

2. Amend the soil based on the test results.

3. Determine if you need sun or shade grass depending on how many hour of sunlight the areas of your lawn gets.

4. Find out what agricultural growing zone you are living in and plant turf sun or shade grass seed that grows well in your zone.

5. Use a slow release starter fertilizer before you seed.

6. Do not cut the new grass until it has established it roots and is at least 2 plus inches long.

7. Perennial grass grows best in the cool seasons, so fall is best for planting new grass. Spring is OK if you are willing to water into the warm season. Water newly planted seed once a day for about ten minutes if needed until the new grass get about 2" tall. 

8. Fertilize twice in the Fall and if you have weeds use a fertilizer with weed killer. 

9. Feed once in the very early Spring with preemergent fertilizer to prevent crab grass and adventurous weeds from germinating.

10. Keep your grass height about 3" plus to retain moisture and discourage weeds during the warm season.

11. Cut frequently so you are not removing more than 1/3 of the grass plant.

12. If you in live area with trees you need to get the leave off the lawn in the Fall. They leaves smother the grass and make the soil more acidic.

13. Grass plants have a life spawn of 3 to 5 years so you will need to reseed weak areas of your lawn periodically. After 3 years I can see where the the sunny and shade grasses are doing well, so I have a better guide as to where to reseed shade grass and sunny grass areas.

14. Make sure your mower blades are sharp so you cut the grass instead of tearing it up and ripping the newly established grass plants out of the ground. If the tops of your grass plants look like they were ripped instead of cut. sharpen your blades.

I live on a wooded lot so I planted shade grass in the low light areas and sun grass in the sunny locations. My lawn it too large to water, so some grass plants may go dormant Mid-Summer, but they come back in the Fall.

Southern stains of turf grass as just about the opposite of Northern and transition zone grasses and they green up and May and brown out in September, so you need to feed and water them during their warm growing season. 

If you do those things you will have a great yard without using insecticides and pesticides.

Most consumer quality seeds and fertilizers are the cheapest junk the sellers can find, so your newley planted grass may not survive in your growing zone. It may sprout, but it will not hang on throughout the year.

No wonder folks consider lawns evil.

Well  a country boy can survive,,,,,,,:D

5 hours ago, bennie said:

Well  a country boy can survive,,,,,,,:D

Yes they can.

When my wife and I built our little cottage in the woods one of my wife's friends with a Turf Grass Agronomy degree said she would help us plant our lawn and get us good quality seed, but she never got around to it. The landscaper that looked at our home site said we would never be able to grow a lawn on the site due to the poor soil. I figured how difficult could it be and I did some research on the internet and planted it myself.  If I can grow a lawn in an area with rocky acid subsoil in the transition zone that is not ideal for Northern or Southern strains of turf grass I figure anyone could do it with the right seed and materials.

Looks like a lawn to me.

20200503_111902.jpg

Edited by Jay Blair

8 hours ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

hay will grow hay, it has seeds. straw will not seed. good luck

Exactly.  Hay is bad; straw is good. 

4 hours ago, rwalter7 said:

Jay Blair,

so who makes a good seed and fertilizer?  And where to purchase?

It lives,,,,,:laugh: sta-green water soluble and seeds from the "seed ranch" in Florida,,,,:rav: not the bunny ranch in Nevada,,,,,:beatin:but things are popping up,,,,,,,:D

20210328_191534.jpg

On 3/28/2021 at 3:02 PM, rwalter7 said:

Jay Blair,

so who makes a good seed and fertilizer?  And where to purchase?

I get the certified seed from the Super Seed store online, and commercial grade fertilizer like Lebanon Pro from a local farm and feed store. The SS site has seed selector for the different zones and sun and shade seed. 

Edited by Jay Blair

The grass is coming along,,,,,,:laugh: planted some move burmuda seeds last week,,,,,,,,:eek:  my garden with some reach and agriculture development I might be able to stop world hunger and global warming,,,,,,,,,,:D

20210427_220110.jpg

20210427_220017.jpg

20210502_144841.jpg

20210502_144754.jpg

Edited by bennie