bennie

Redoing you yard

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

4 truck loads of top soil and 50 40lb of bags just to make it more level 4 bails of hay,,,,:howdy: 6lb of miracle-glo and the seeds at the seed ranch out of Florida 2lb of Bermuda 1lb of creeping bentgrass and 1lb of Scott's sun&shad it's most likely crab grass,,,,,:laugh: but that's ok it makes a great big litter box for my pet tiger,,,,,,,:D

20210317_194914.jpg

20210317_194953.jpg

20210317_195020.jpg

Is this the way to do it? Mine has gone to crap and I couldn't revive it. Seed just won't grow besides vine and weeds. 

Tried aerated one year and did nothing.

9 hours ago, foxfai said:

Is this the way to do it? Mine has gone to crap and I couldn't revive it. Seed just won't grow besides vine and weeds. 

Best time to grow a new grass is fall time. Nice sunny days and cool nights. 

I have know idea what I'm doing,,,,,:howdy: but I did some research and got my seed from "ranch seed" not to much from Lowe's because they sell poop,,,,,,:) the best thing I can tell you is a little top soil over the grass seed and a little bit of hay and alot of rain or poop city water helps,,,,,:banghd: for the marijuana plants just dont give them to much attention,,,,,,,,:D

23 hours ago, foxfai said:

Pointless without irrigation.  I've got a guy who puts down "natural" fertilizer and low impact weed killer, he does 6 treatments a year, and I have a sprinkler system.  This is my lawn in May.

20200516_193727.jpg.12a147f639904318dfd5e78a257e4996.jpg

Grass can be a pain in the arse. Dont know where you live but many state colleges offer free soil analysis. A lot of times of topsoil needs to be amended. Where Im located we usually treat it with lyme as part of a new lawn installation. How much and what kind of starter fertilizer did you use ?

12 hours ago, riggler said:

Grass can be a pain in the arse. Dont know where you live but many state colleges offer free soil analysis. A lot of times of topsoil needs to be amended. Where Im located we usually treat it with lyme as part of a new lawn installation. How much and what kind of starter fertilizer did you use ?

I'm using 5lb of sta-green water soluble it's generic miracle grow,,,,:wag: but this is more of a experiment,,,,,I'm in the Roanoke Virginia area and know body uses Bermuda or bentgrass,,,,,:eek: always fescue or the rich homes Kentucky,,,,,:laugh: but I think the experts hear are uneducated jack legs just trying to making a dollar,,,:stick:so I'm going big,,,hehe,,,,,,,:D

17 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Why not Kentucky Blue? 
Creeping Bent is used for golf greens up here. 

Well I put 1in of golf green grass,,,, years ago at my parents house and it took off,,,,,,:laugh: it was the best like walking on carpet,,,,,,,:D

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don’t know if they sell it where you are, but I love using Milorganite fertilizer- organic.  Lowes or Home Depot carry it.  Will not burn your grass and it’s a slow release so it lasts a while. Here’s mine in June.  No aerating, just fertilizer few times a year.

F873E016-2647-4D94-A496-8DDD49806D96.jpeg

Edited by Jimo95

You can always try zoysia  seed ,not the compost mix..the plugs are a pain in the butt.....starting in May not the fall....it does get brown post first frost ,...once established less cutting less chemicals...for the back yard it's perfect....

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have no idea when it comes to Bermuda grass or warm species like St. Agustine grass, but it looks like you have dry sandy soil.

Organic material and possibly some clay soil will help. If your soil PH is on the acid side you may need to add some lime to your amendment programs. A soil test is in order if you want to know what your lawn needs.  

I do know that Kentucky blue and many tall fescue grasses will not do well down South.

Do your soil test and and check to see what species of grass do well in your growing zone and go from there.

Most of the commercial fertilizers and seed are overpriced junk and contain fillers.  I use a turf grass quality seed recommended for my specific growing zone. I also use a commercial grade slow release high nitrogen fertilizer because that is what the soil test said I needed. The Commercial turf fertilizers are cheaper, last longer, and generally give you a better result.

Most consumer quality seed like Scotts are junk because the contain super cheap Kentucky 31 a rough fescue and other older fescue strains. Turf quality fescues are tested by the Turf Grass Association for things like what zones they will grow in and other things like drought resistance, disease resistance, color, texture, and are guaranteed not to have weed seeds.

I live in the Transition zone between the areas where warm and cool growing types of grass do well, so growing a good lawn it is a challenge.

I put in this new lawn by myself after we cleared our lot in the woods. Not much top soil and rather acid conditions. I had to amend with lime and use a slow nitrogen release commercial fertilizer. I killed the clover that invaded the lawn last Fall.

20200503_111436.jpg

20200503_111635.jpg

Edited by Jay Blair

12 hours ago, hwsmike said:

Lawns are an evil entity

Amen brother. Looks like some of these guys worship the Dark Lord. My "lawn" is smaller than a lot of your walk in closets, and I still couldn't get it to thrive. I want to let the raspberries take it over, but the wife objects.