gray gables

New tractor

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

I would put some serious thought in the need for the backhoe attachment.  Save the money and use it to rent a mini excavator for the few times you’ll need it.  The small hoe is a fun toy but not very practical to get work done. 

The backhoe seriously limits the versatility of the smaller tractors.   Lots of implements that you can rent for use on a 3 point hitch with a PTO that wouldn’t be an option with the hoe.  The list keeps getting bigger every year for power attachments. 

Get the forks, you’ll end up using them more than the bucket to move stuff around.  They are a lot safer for odd shapes and big items that won’t fit in a small bucket. 

Get a good dark cover to keep the machine out of the sun, lots of plastic on the newer machines. Really durable at first until the solar radiation gets to them after a few years and they get brittle, especially the seats. 

17 mins ago, Micropteris said:

I would put some serious thought in the need for the backhoe attachment.  Save the money and use it to rent a mini excavator for the few times you’ll need it.  The small hoe is a fun toy but not very practical to get work done. 

The backhoe seriously limits the versatility of the smaller tractors.   Lots of implements that you can rent for use on a 3 point hitch with a PTO that wouldn’t be an option with the hoe.  The list keeps getting bigger every year for power attachments. 

Get the forks, you’ll end up using them more than the bucket to move stuff around.  They are a lot safer for odd shapes and big items that won’t fit in a small bucket. 

Get a good dark cover to keep the machine out of the sun, lots of plastic on the newer machines. Really durable at first until the solar radiation gets to them after a few years and they get brittle, especially the seats. 

I don't need any pto attachments.  The good thing about the backhoe is it has a pincher claw on it. Be great for working on my stonewalls. Forks, well don't need those either. My neighbor has a set that clamp on that I could borrow if I need them. 

20 hours ago, gray gables said:

I don't need any pto attachments.  The good thing about the backhoe is it has a pincher claw on it. Be great for working on my stonewalls. Forks, well don't need those either. My neighbor has a set that clamp on that I could borrow if I need them. 

Is the thumb (pincher claw) manual or hydraulic ?  My guess is manual but that is ok.  They are handy at times.  

5 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

Is the thumb (pincher claw) manual or hydraulic ?  My guess is manual but that is ok.  They are handy at times.  

It's manual, better than nothing though. Went up today and took it for a test drive and filled out my finance application.  

2 mins ago, gray gables said:

It's manual, better than nothing though. Went up today and took it for a test drive and filled out my finance application.  

Manual is ok.  There have been a lot of times I wished I had a manual thumb on my machine.

Good luck with it.  

On 3/18/2021 at 6:17 PM, RAW said:

Owned both 8n and 9m . most difference was tranny. "Rubber wheel bulldozer"

9n was 3 speed and 8 n was 4 speed?

1 hour ago, Dave588 said:

9n was 3 speed and 8 n was 4 speed?

never had land smooth enough to get to top gear in either!

2 hours ago, RAW said:

never had land smooth enough to get to top gear in either!

The only  place I could use the top gear or fourth gear was on a paved  street

It was just too fast. 

Kubota's have a great track record. My only concern would be 22HP with a backhoe. 22HP diesel is a powerful machine to run various equipment;  front loader, finish mower, brush hog, etc. But that's not a lot of power and size to run a backhoe IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Twocylinder said:

Any opinions on the sub-compact Kubota? Looking at a new BX23s with loader and BH ...22HP ...$21,100 ....

Look at the yanmar tractors.  That's what I'll be buying. 

I hear ya ...I'm not planning on doing much digging ....but I've used my buddies Case with a thumb many times for lifting and lugging ....and it has been a real backsaver. I got a Kubota dealer right in town ....no Yanmar dealers even close to me....

4 mins ago, Twocylinder said:

I hear ya ...I'm not planning on doing much digging ....but I've used my buddies Case with a thumb many times for lifting and lugging ....and it has been a real backsaver. I got a Kubota dealer right in town ....no Yanmar dealers even close to me....

The backhoe is an expensive option, 7k or so. Imo kubota and john deere have the name that's why they get the prices they do for them. 

Just checked out the New Holland 25S ...24.7 hp vs 21.6hp on the Kubota ... Not as pretty as the Kubota, but seems a lot more rugged, and a couple grand cheaper ....

11 hours ago, Twocylinder said:

Any opinions on the sub-compact Kubota? Looking at a new BX23s with loader and BH ...22HP ...$21,100 ....

That is the exact tractor I bought new years ago. For its size it never felt under powered. I have dug and pulled out some very large tree stumps with it.

Any interest in a used one? Getting ready to have a major sell off and head south.