gray gables

New tractor

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

I've got a cub cadet/yanmar. Basically just a yellow/black yammer with cub cadet badging.   I bought it in 16 and it has been very dependable.   I originally was looking at used Case 580s but got realistic and bought a smaller machine.   This one is 31HP .

IMG_0386.jpeg

Yanmar has been around for a long time. I don't know if they still do, but they made the engines for all of the John Deere compact and sub-compact tractors for a long time. That is what is under the hood of my JD 25hp tractor.

11 hours ago, gray gables said:

I might bite the bullet and invest in a new tractor. Looking at the yanmar series. Any opinions on this manufacturer? 

I need to sell this:shrug:

20210225_163657.jpg

3 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

I've got a cub cadet/yanmar. Basically just a yellow/black yammer with cub cadet badging.   I bought it in 16 and it has been very dependable.   I originally was looking at used Case 580s but got realistic and bought a smaller machine.   This one is 31HP .

IMG_0386.jpeg

Cub cadet stop making those. I believe they are all yanmar now that are black an red. 

2 hours ago, BLilly said:

Yanmar has been around for a long time. I don't know if they still do, but they made the engines for all of the John Deere compact and sub-compact tractors for a long time. That is what is under the hood of my JD 25hp tractor.

They still make engines for Jon Deere and kubota. 

I had a Massey Ferguson 26 hp. 

Front end loader and backhoe. 

I bought it with 500 hours for $11,500 15 years later I sold it for $9500

What a machine. Not one thing broke on it. Just change oil. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bought a YM series 1978, 20 HP, 3 cyl. with turf tires, still purrs, had a 5' belly mower and I punished it yearly mulching the brook line and fields with a 6' bush hog, Only normal repairs. Always kept out of weather, Kept things  sprayed down with Film Fluid, Did wear out 4 seats

Edited by RAW
addition

15 mins ago, RAW said:

Bought a YM series 1978, 20 HP, with turf tires, still purrs, had a 5' belly mower and I punished it yearly mulching the brook line and fields with a 6' bush hog, Only normal repairs. Always kept out of weather, Kept things  sprayed down with Film Fluid, Did wear out 4 seats

My only drawback about buying one is I have no place to store it. If I do buy one I can create a space to make a shelter to keep it out of the weather. Plus I can write it off thru my business. 

My Massey Ferguson was always stored in a warehouse or in my garage. 
I had a special trick to get it in my garage with a 7 foot overhead door with that roll over bar. 
Cover storage is very important for longevity of the machine. 

I was just thinking of Dan’s when he built that shed. 

How big a machine you looking for? What's the primary purpose? 

I just traded in my 23HP 1992 John Deere 770 for $7000! Crazy!! I bought it used for $11,000 and have owned it for 15 years, up until recently it has been flawless, but over the past year some things have been going downhill. It needs new tires, the fuel tank needs to be drained and lined, all the hydraulic lines need to be replaced. I decided to trade it in for a new Massey Ferguson;  35 HP with a 5' front end loader. It's actually being delivered tomorrow. It will drive the implements I need it to drive;  brush hog, rake, tiller. The only thing I am not certain about is the hydrostatic transmission. But it's the way of the future. I think all the new compact JD machines are hydro. MF models are coming in considerably less than comparable JD models. 

The resale value of these machines is excellent, so even if but something 5-7 years old and don't like it after a couple years you can sell it for nearly what you paid!