Scouting Tactics Evolved.

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Livefreeordie said:

I hope you have fun and find fish with the drone. It's funny because I remember that years ago, any mention of drones on SOL would elicit outrage. IDK if a drone is a more or less effective scouting tool than walking and looking, but I suspect you'll see/learn things you would not have, otherwise. Also, it just looks like fun

I used to hate the F-n things. I've had some run ins with people buzzing me when I'm out in public places, harassing at low level and annoying me with the noise. I also had an issue with a guy buzzing my kids at a playground, very low level, very intrusive. The guy appeared to be hiding and took off when I tried to confront him. Very creepy.

At close range the noise sucks and I can't stand it when someone is flying low when I'm in a quiet place.

Having said all that, I have really come around to appreciate what can be done with them. What they bring to the table in the world of YouTube type videos can't be denied. The videos Capt Castafly posts here are very cool. All the best fishing videos use drone footage and some of the blitz videos I've seen are absolutely amazing. 

As long as you do it right, don't buzz people without their consent, don't make a nuisance of it, they are very cool.

2 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

I hope you have fun and find fish with the drone. It's funny because I remember that years ago, any mention of drones on SOL would elicit outrage. IDK if a drone is a more or less effective scouting tool than walking and looking, but I suspect you'll see/learn things you would not have, otherwise. Also, it just looks like fun

50 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

I would attempt to smash a drone if I found some guy buzzing my kid. 50/50 that drone would get 'good' video of me embarrassing myself trying to smash the drone

He got good video of me giving him the finger, searching for him, then charging off across the ball field in his direction. He was far enough away that he had time to retrieve the drone and get his car and screw before I had chance to discuss it with him.

Drones, I find them interesting but dread is always in the back of my mind when I see them.  When I was working at the War College they were, and still are, a very valid area of concern as a delivery agent for nefarious actions.  If you're ever in a crowded setting and see them... beware.  

On 3/19/2021 at 3:34 PM, DZ said:

Drones, I find them interesting but dread is always in the back of my mind when I see them.  When I was working at the War College they were, and still are, a very valid area of concern as a delivery agent for nefarious actions.  If you're ever in a crowded setting and see them... beware.  

Been saying it years, It’s only a matter of time. Can’t believe it hasn’t happened yet. 

54 mins ago, turkaholic said:

I don’t see many on Block. I believe there are restrictions with the airport being so close. I always have my 12 gauge in the truck for the rare occasion. I am not a fan. Privacy is a hard thing to get these days. 

Steve do you still hunt Turkey's on Block?  

No, I never hunted them on the island. They were not true wild birds and were fed by residents. They were mostly contained in the Great Swamp area. There is a good sized flock around the Westside started by Tim McCabe that has flourished. He runs the horseback riding business. Big birds probably taste good, like piping plovers. My 35 year obsession with turkey hunting around the Northeast has faded a bit as my hunting partners have become to old to hump miles in the mountains. I still hunt them but not a crazed as before. Now I’m obsessed with fishing , lol that never fades, ever 

2 hours ago, turkaholic said:

No, I never hunted them on the island. They were not true wild birds and were fed by residents. They were mostly contained in the Great Swamp area. There is a good sized flock around the Westside started by Tim McCabe that has flourished. He runs the horseback riding business. Big birds probably taste good, like piping plovers. My 35 year obsession with turkey hunting around the Northeast has faded a bit as my hunting partners have become to old to hump miles in the mountains. I still hunt them but not a crazed as before. Now I’m obsessed with fishing , lol that never fades, ever 

McCabe's flock would chase our buggy pecking on the front tires when we were turning into Southwest.  

On 3/18/2021 at 8:38 AM, DZ said:

What is the range of these things?  Seems like it could save lots of walking on desolate shorelines like Block to see if areas are weeded up.  Are they line of sight or can they turn corners with high bluffs or do you loose control?  

This setup has a roughly 6 mile range, 30-32 minutes of flight time per battery(the kit i have has 4 total batteries; and auto "return to home" feature integrated so when it nears critically low in power it auto calculates distance and self returns back to point of origin.