Jcallaham

taping guides

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

what type of tape is used for temporarily placing guides for test casting? I would like them to stay put for one or two short trips down to the beach.

thanks in advance

Don't use tape.

You can't make slight changes in position and it doesn't hold all that well.

Go to a craft store - Michaels or Joanns - and buy 0.5 mm stretch beading thread they use to make little girl bracelets.

Wrap it under as much tension as you can get.  Cover the whole foot of the guide and tie off with a couple of overhand knots. 

I use the same to hold guides when wrapping  - just not so much and not under as much tension so I can get the guides in a straight line.

Herb

low residue duct tape. only need to wrap over the foot twice, can be taken off and used again (have actually used the short strips i rip for more that one rod and it will hold plenty well. have caught and landed a few 3-4lb bluefish while test casting a rod.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use signing tape..... it is very thin and has just enough stickiness to hold when wrapping all the way around the feet... wrap them very tight

Edited by JCorlino033

I use those rod wrapping guide ties avail on the flea bay site (stretch band with bead). They've worked well for me, even small single foot guides, but most of my builds are saltwater so they may not work as well on single foot micro guides if tying those. These are easier to use than the surgical hose rubber pieces because there is no need to pre-position or slide all the bands in place on the blank before wrapping, although I think the surgical bands hold great.

On 3/17/2021 at 4:22 AM, HL said:

Don't use tape.

You can't make slight changes in position and it doesn't hold all that well.

Go to a craft store - Michaels or Joanns - and buy 0.5 mm stretch beading thread they use to make little girl bracelets.

Wrap it under as much tension as you can get.  Cover the whole foot of the guide and tie off with a couple of overhand knots. 

I use the same to hold guides when wrapping  - just not so much and not under as much tension so I can get the guides in a straight line.

Herb

Thanks for this tip Herb, I’ve been super frustrated trying to get guides straight with tape. This was a game changer for me.