chumfish

Whacking Day!

Rate this topic

168 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Tom T said:

Considering the widely accepted evolutionary chart, I'd say about the same.

My naked ass doesn't look like that.

1 hour ago, HopHead said:

Because it's so delicious lol......they didn't eat that because they could.

They didn't really eat it.  They just boiled everything because they were dirt ****ing poor.  Brisket being fairly passable when slow cooked became the American affectation for the holiday.  A cheap cut of crap meat slow cooked in water with potatoes.  I made cb hash for breakfast which I doused heavily in Cholula.  Erin la Mexico!  It's good on rye with mustard.  Kosher is best for CB but BBQ is where it's at for brisket. 

1 hour ago, Billybob said:

Is there a trade that the Irish are noted for, like most other ethnicities?

Bar tending ?

Peace

5 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

then they put those BBQ shows on the cooking channel and now it's pricey as hell.

Dude.... BBQ brisket is sort of my thing.  In TX I could I get an untrimmed brisket at the supermarket for $20-30.  They had a bin full of them.  In NJ what they call untrimmed is trimmed as hell.  I need to go to a butcher to get the less cut piece of crap meat with more crap on it and it's like $90.  Should not be. 

3 mins ago, Niffty said:

I need to go to a butcher to get the less cut piece of crap meat with more crap on it and it's like $90.  Should not be. 

yyyyyyyyup,

I like to make them, but it is no longer a cheap way to feed a lot of people.

I look forward to a corned beef dinner and a pint of Guinness every St Patrick's Day.

Blast the Irish music and to hell with anyone that complains.

Oh, and corned beef is a completely American creation.

The Irish look at it and ask "Why did you ruin that meat by boiling it?"

We boil it because the meat packagers liked to salt the hell out of it (preservative) and you HAD to boil it to get rid of most of that salt. Also, the main difference between red and grey corned beef is that the red has been treated with saltpeter to preserve the color.

21 mins ago, Niffty said:

They didn't really eat it.  They just boiled everything because they were dirt ****ing poor.  Brisket being fairly passable when slow cooked became the American affectation for the holiday.  A cheap cut of crap meat slow cooked in water with potatoes.  I made cb hash for breakfast which I doused heavily in Cholula.  Erin la Mexico!  It's good on rye with mustard.  Kosher is best for CB but BBQ is where it's at for brisket. 

Absolutely.....magical things can be done with corned beef and taters, hash being one of my favs.....I was just referring to the "boiled dinner" abomination.  When I was over there in 85 we stayed at a bud's family's place and a giant bowlful of boiled, skinned potatoes was served with every meal.......which slathered in butter, s and p are delicious.