Kima

Cutting a GSB

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I've been having a hell of a time trying to find a GSB 1201M near me but I managed to find a 1321M. If I were to cut 6-12 inches off the bottom of that, how similar would it be to the 10 footer?  Would I be making a mess out of a good blank?

For the record, most of what I throw is 2 ounce jigs or 4 ounce pencils. 

I also considered buying a GLB 1081MH but I figured the heavier stuff would be a problem on the smaller rod.

Pulled out both my 1201m and 1321m to compare. The 1321 is more parabolic than the 1201m. The arcs don’t match. The 1201m actually feels like it has a little more power even though they cast the same range.

You might be able to get the 1321m close to the 10’ by taking some off the tip and then the back. Not sure what the tip would come out to but getting a tip top with small ring may be problematic.

I would take up SFM on the fiberstar or wait on the GSB 1201m.

4 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

you could also try the fsc1207. i have one you can check out, where in ct are you

Northwest, Waterbury area. 

I got sick of breaking St Croixs all the time so I decided to start using GSBs because they're darn near indestructible.  I don't know anything about the FSC lineup.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I cut 2 1321m's down to 10'. Took 12" off the butt. Love the sticks. They cast very well and handle big fish well. Been running them for years.

Edited by Bob C.

On 3/19/2021 at 7:37 AM, DEM Parking Lot said:

I had a raw 1321l cut down to 10' then built.  It was very top heavy and not the same feeling as a 1201.

Cut it from the butt or the tip? 

I have 1322L new gsb. And thinking of cutting it down few inches from the top. To make it a bit stiffer. Wondering if anyone did something similar and how it worked out.

Misha, what do you hope to accomplish by making it stiffer?

By cutting from the tip you will make the rod less moderate in action.

Stiffer will not extend its lure rating but may help in fish fighting ability.

1 hour ago, SurffisherMike said:

Kima if you are in the greenwich/stamford area let me know you can check out the fsc 1027.

I appreciate the offer, but I already ended up buying and building the 1321. That pretty much burned my fishing rod budget for the year.

In case anyone was wondering, I didn't end up cutting it.