EricDice

Funky rigged eels

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I have three riggies in the freezer. Starting to smell funky - not terrible but not great.

Do you toss them out?

Do you still fish them?

If they are funky while in the freezer then it's probably time for fresh riggies. The hardware and hooks can probably be salvaged and reused depending on wear/rust.

3 hours ago, Foureel said:

Are they rigged with circle hooks??  Legally they need to be as bait and J hooks are a no no

No, not circle hooks. I’m having amnesia as I type. 

3 hours ago, PaulS said:

Throw them out. I just threw a couple away after hearing my wife complained for a few weeks.

Yeah, I added yet another bag to throw my wife off the trail. Meanwhile, I’m about to salt & freeze some bloodworms which would go over worse were she to find them & know what they are. 

Besides another few rods and at least one more spinning reel, I definitely need a second smaller chest freezer in the garage. ;-)

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

If they are funky while in the freezer then it's probably time for fresh riggies. The hardware and hooks can probably be salvaged and reused depending on wear/rust.

I have some yet to be rigged eels that were frozen fresh last October. Honestly, I just don’t have the energy or enthusiasm for rigging more eels. 

I have caught on some nasty smelling eels that i have kept using. But when they get that i found more problems like hooks tearing etc. I also just tuck them on the side of my bag  so it depends on the how bad smelling they are and how the fishing is.If your eels in the freezer smell bad it might be time. with the new circle regs i will be using rigged eels a lot more as to not bring attention to an eel container

I would start with starved newly rigged eels. Since your existing eels potential effectiveness is in doubt enough to post about it likely that issue will fixate in your brain with each fruitless cast. Why not eliminate the doubt with a few minutes of work?

Get rid of them.  As soon as you put them in a surf bag it will take on the odor and is almost impossible to remove. Nothing like a fresh riggie for effectiveness.

10 hours ago, Foureel said:

Are they rigged with circle hooks??  Legally they need to be as bait and J hooks are a no no

I think they just had a ruling on that to clarify some of the new rules. I believe the new decision on rigged eels is.. it's going to be left up to the individual states to decide if they require circle hooks or not. Technically you could be fishing for bluefish not using circle hooks but if you catch a bass it has to be immediately released..no harvest.

1 hour ago, shark lobster said:

Are they packed in kosher salt?

I thought about that as it’s how I do bloodworms. Kosher salt & frozen. 

But rigged eels with the hooks, I would expect the salt to corrode the hooks while sitting in the freezer?

I keep rigged eels stored in containers filled with water over the winter preventing freezer burn or any other smell.     There well preserved not to get any waffle stink !

1DD8E064-917B-495D-B9CE-55834BBFDCDD.jpeg