coolhandfluke

5lb mushroom anchor good enough ?

27 posts in this topic

i see them on amazon for 15.00    not even sure i will use it much but if i decide to do some crabbing i am guessing it will work.

we would crab once a year in a rental boat, so i cant see taking two traps and a handline on each yak be an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

i see them on amazon for 15.00    not even sure i will use it much but if i decide to do some crabbing i am guessing it will work.

we would crab once a year in a rental boat, so i cant see taking two traps and a handline on each yak be an issue.

Depends where you're fishing.  Where would this be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made this last fall after using 3 or 5# grapnels anchors for years. Works like a charm on sand or rocks. Two 36" pcs of #4 copper and 8" 3/4 pipe, filled with lead. If you snag, it bends when you pull up.

 

5f9b2913dd898_reefanchor.PNG.77d49a2a08e4e940d6f27540ee803e45.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3or 4 lb rubber coated hand weight you see people running with.. if that won’t hold you the current is not safe to anchor in my opinion. Tied to 20 pound line with float. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a dumbbell weight. I have two different ones, an 8 for everyday use and a 10 for heavy current/strong wind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gellfex said:

Made this last fall after using 3 or 5# grapnels anchors for years. Works like a charm on sand or rocks. Two 36" pcs of #4 copper and 8" 3/4 pipe, filled with lead. If you snag, it bends when you pull up.

 

5f9b2913dd898_reefanchor.PNG.77d49a2a08e4e940d6f27540ee803e45.PNG

on a kayak ?   looks like it will hold my 22ft boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Depends where you're fishing.  Where would this be?

just in the back waters  if i do crab.   i wont be anchoring in any rivers most likely.    i think the crab rental boats use 8lb so i figure 5lb will suffice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

just in the back waters  if i do crab.   i wont be anchoring in any rivers most likely.    i think the crab rental boats use 8lb so i figure 5lb will suffice.

Yes that’ll work fine unless the current is really moving.  If you’re talking about south Jersey back bays it doesn’t take much to hold unless you’re in a channel close to the inlets.  See ya out there! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Yes that’ll work fine unless the current is really moving.  If you’re talking about south Jersey back bays it doesn’t take much to hold unless you’re in a channel close to the inlets.  See ya out there! 

yep   behind ac or off the maurice and or mullica rivers if we crab.   mostly our trips will be for enjoyment .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made up two for a local kayaker after he saw my pogie net weights. Used old window sash weights that I sealed 2x in epoxy. The bigger the window you are replacing, the bigger the weight. He liked the cylindrical shape for storage. I assume they work , but have not spoken about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2021 at 8:51 AM, coolhandfluke said:

on a kayak ?   looks like it will hold my 22ft boat.

Check the dims, it's only 18" long straightened out, weighs less than 3#. Punches above it's weight class, and very hard to lose in the rocks. I've even used it as a grapnel to hold onto rotting piers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Get one of these. Just tie it up like a wreck anchor (main line to the front and a break away on the back) so it breaks free if stuck.

6b9e3e8a-7f23-4e80-aa46-cf92ab302d94_1.7

Edited by rockyoutdoors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rocky i saw those for sale also .they do collapse for easy storage. i bought the mushroom as its real small as not to take up room and its not like i will be a hardcore fishing from the yak. its just for pleasure and maybe crab a little .   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.