RyanPost

Any migratory fish yet?

Rate this topic

169 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

It feels great to be out after hospital.

Still got to take it easy, but yeah it feels great!
A couple of hours and I’m toast.

gill netters will start to see a few quality fluke a week or so from now, main body of fish still in 40 fathoms or so , this full moon will start them pushing shallower.

Hit up a few of the usual Western Sound spots this afternoon. Not a thing. 

Mid 60s for the next two weeks. Mid/late April is looking fun! 

1 hour ago, JohnW93 said:

Hit up a few of the usual Western Sound spots this afternoon. Not a thing. 

Mid 60s for the next two weeks. Mid/late April is looking fun! 

It was excellent conditions for fishing today, I even went into the water and broke out the surf gear for a bit. Had to break in my new spool of line.

34 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Ton of bunker way up in the canals today Nassau county.

Been working those bunker on an off around the bay, nothing on them yet, soon though....

Posted (edited) · Report post

The arrival of spearing are a necessry event, they spawn during new or full spring moons in our bays  and have yet to show up in good numbers.  I'v seen spearing as early as march though this year's cold has delayed their arrival from deeper water.  Most of the resident fish that stuck around are still keyed in on mud bottoms and worms....when the spearing flood in, game on.

Edited by DeepBlue85

4 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

The arrival of spearing are a necessry event, they spawn during new or full spring moons in our bays  and have yet to show up in good numbers.  I'v seen spearing as early as march though this year's cold has delayed their arrival from deeper water.  Most of the resident fish that stuck around are still keyed in on mud bottoms and worms....when the spearing flood in, game on.

There was plenty of spearing in the canal today in Suffolk. hopefully any day it opens up. 

Edited by Tunaman131

Good sign, probably the leading edge that shoot to the deep back for the warmer water they prefer.  Some probably dont leave entirely.   I noticed a small school around a mud flat i frequent as well, still far from the bay-wide biomas that occurs once they fill in which should be this week.

Consistently modest results for two weeks on artificials in the Western Sound. Short "when it's convenient" outings producing on average 1 schoolie 19-25" with one fish probably just making 28". Best outing was 3, a few blanks mixed in too. Bloodworms and more planned outings would likely do better. Bunker but no spearing. Bunker are large adults.

Edited by Crabcakes

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Consistently modest results for two weeks on artificials in the Western Sound. Short "when it's convenient" outings producing on average 1 schoolie 19-25" with one fish probably just making 28". Best outing was 3, a few blanks mixed in too. Bloodworms and more planned outings would likely do better. Bunker but no spearing. Bunker are large adults.

You're absolutely right. Was able to nail a 22" this morning on a Bass Assassin. The guys using bait are having better results from what I hear/see.