RyanPost

Any migratory fish yet?

Rate this topic

233 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Fishing supposed to be fun.

That is a main reason I start fishing.

No need for fancy VS spooled with "best braid ever" newest Century and $50 lure.

No need for new moon tides; incoming first two hours and beginning  of outgoing.

I am no accountant to keep a log 

I work two jobs so I am going when and if I can.

Just go out,breath the salt air,  try different thing and enjoy being by water.

Catching fish comes as a bonus.

I agree with you in some aspects, however if you work a lot like most of us do, a log will help you dial in windows, obviously being out there regardless will bring some peace and enjoyment, if you fish often enough sometimes buying higher end gear will be more cost effective in the long run (not worried about getting it wet/sandy/serviced every 6 months. The "most expensive braid" is usually your average braid, the expensive lures are sometimes collectibles which is another passion on its own or people fish them. I usually fish stuff under $30 tops, some people play lotto or some cigarettes. It is what is is, its all a matter of how serious you take your fishing or what you expect to get out of it. Fishing to me is fun and can get frustrating, but what else doesn't? There are just different tier of fisherman and thats fine 

Ive logged about 5 seasons now, and I can tell you the skunking and spoils have taught me a ton.

Being a desk jockey, I log every trip into excel to learn from experience.

With kids, nagging wife and a 2 hour commute, I can no longer fish two tides a day.

Its like showing up to a spot when everyone else is leaving and you know this spot doesn't turn on until last 2 of outgoing.

2 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

Its like showing up to a spot when everyone else is leaving and you know this spot doesn't turn on until last 2 of outgoing.

Log sounds like a good suggestion, or at least a mental note for time of tide. Yesterday, I did just that, came when others were leaving. Heard there were schoolies before, but saw nothing caught except an hour after sunset a schoolie was caught by someone else. Got nothing and tried metal jigs, walmart special bucktail, sp minnow and top water plug. Going to keep trying. Being out on the water is sure fun and relaxing but but being my first season it's better to learn when fish is actually there lol. Talking about south shore areas.

3 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

Ive logged about 5 seasons now, and I can tell you the skunking and spoils have taught me a ton.

Being a desk jockey, I log every trip into excel to learn from experience.

With kids, nagging wife and a 2 hour commute, I can no longer fish two tides a day.

I want to get into logging my trips. What are you keeping track of? I assume date, time, tide, and wind direction? 

1 hour ago, Angler 5511 said:

Log sounds like a good suggestion, or at least a mental note for time of tide. Yesterday, I did just that, came when others were leaving. Heard there were schoolies before, but saw nothing caught except an hour after sunset a schoolie was caught by someone else. Got nothing and tried metal jigs, walmart special bucktail, sp minnow and top water plug. Going to keep trying. Being out on the water is sure fun and relaxing but but being my first season it's better to learn when fish is actually there lol. Talking about south shore areas.

Don’t listen to anyone! There either lying or clueless. Find a spot you like based off structure and go back at night. Ignore the crowds. 

11 hours ago, Angler 5511 said:

You wont remember a mental note in 2 years...

1 hour ago, Blank Disc said:

You wont remember a mental note in 2 years...

I can’t remember what happened two days ago but I can tell you the exact date, time and tide I caught fish 10 years ago 

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, li_bass_hunter said:

I can’t remember what happened two days ago but I can tell you the exact date, time and tide I caught fish 10 years ago 

And the color of the lure.

:howdy:

Edited by Popasilov

17 hours ago, li_bass_hunter said:

Can you remember the tides and times you didn't catch? 

Posted (edited)

29 mins ago, Blank Disc said:

Can you remember the tides and times you didn't catch? 

Nope that’s why a log is pure gold 

Edited by li_bass_hunter

Finally got one.  Small at sunrise on south shore open beach on Thursday.  Hit a spot further east this evening and got another schoolie.  I feel like the next few weeks will be good.  Glass half full?