New to fly. Leader question.

Rate this topic

Paul E

Hey everyone,

I am finally going to learn the ins-and-outs of fly fishing. YouTube has been very good to me and I’ve subscribed to some great channels.  However, I really need your input on leaders. 

I plan to get my feet wet (there’s my joke) next week using an outfit I purchased decades ago at a yard sale. No immediate plans to change. 

The reel is a Pflueger Progress No. 1774 and the rod is a two-piece 9’ Conolon LiveFiber F98 by Narmco (later bought by Garcia). 

So, I can pretty much cast but I really haven’t fished. I’m spooled-up with line but the leader was put on for me during a casting class - maybe 13-years ago in Frankfort, Ky. I’m in CT now. 

I want to start, next week, working some golf course ponds near home for bluegills and small bass. 

Please advise on the mono I want to tie and use for a three-piece (5 piece?) leader. What line (certain brands?) and #test?

Any other advice is also most welcome. 
Thank you!

Edited by Paul E

There’s a million ways to skin that cat. If it were me, start super simple. Go with a 3 step leader, I don’t fish fresh too often but when I have the bluegill weren’t too picky. I’m sure someone with more freshwater experience can suggest more specifics but if just use whatever leader material you have on hand and step it down to whatever you deem light enough (4lb)? Like 10,6,4 or 15,10, 6. I wouldn’t overthink it too much your first trip out.

Just now, Shakeyfly said:

Any reason why you want to use a pieced leader and not a tapered? I played around with FrogHair and stepped leaders for a long time. Realized It was just cheaper and easier to get a 2 pack orvis mono. 

Okay.  But, can you be more specific?  More my application, what tapered leader (size?) would you recommend?

I can try. What weight is your rod? 

Orvis sells Tapered 1 piece 9 foot long leaders. You pull them out and loop to loop connect to your fly line (if there are no loops, use a nail knot). Then you tie the fly right to it. As you trim your leader down, and it gets smaller you can add a small piece of Tippet to keep the leader to length. 

Bass I use a 10lbs leader trout I vary usualy from 4x-6x which is like 3-6pounds. 

A built leader is a bit of a pain. 

For the small ponds, bluegill/bass, you will likely be throwing some poppers. Which will require a heavier butt section to “turn over” that leader. 

Show us a pic of that current fly/leader knot you currently have. Is it a tapered leader?  What length?  It may be worth cutting it back to 5 or 6 feet and then blood knotting a foot or two of 10 pound “tippet”. 

Or if you have mastered the nail knot, knot on a new tapered leader. 

For striped bass I usually go with 40#/20#, 5ft of 40 and 4ft of 20 sometimes and I will go with 50/30 or 60/40/20 but really all depends on what works for you. Just avoid going with anything less than 40 attached to your fly line or you risk the mono/fluro cutting through fly line. 

For a brand - Ande or Rio (no reason just what I started buying and haven't changed)

I think most of the bases have been covered.  I use a furled leader made from tying thread.  It's heavy enough to turn over my bass bugs.   The furled part is about 4 feet long and I usually start with a 6 foot tippet.  Since the lakes I fish have bass and chain pickerel I fish with 20 or 25 # tippet.  As already mentioned panfish and bass aren't leader shy.

6050f825ecac7_P5210247(2).JPG.f04cd0a513e1d8f04369541c23f93fbc.JPG

and you never know if you'll run into something bigger

6050f88134f13_P5210249(3).JPG.e134a316eed2840ad81ec415fd021a64.JPG

The furled leaders are a bit pricey.  They run about the same as two Orvis 9' tapered leaders would cost you.  They're durable.  I'm still fishing a few that are probably 10 years old.  All you have to do is replace the tippet when it gets to short.

If you're set on building your own three step leader, I'd go 40-20-12 or even 15#

A straight mono or fluorocarbon leader has to be heavy enough to turn over the flies you're fishing.  I use either 20 or 25# fluorocarbon or mono when I do use a single piece leader.

As far as brands, for tippet I use whatever is left on the spools I use to fill my spinning reels.  Maxima, Stren, Yozuri, whatever's on hand.  If you have heavy line, you can make your leaders from them.

• 1 month later...

Pick up a 3 pack of Rio Powerflex 2x 7.5 ft leaders and some 2x or 0x Rio powerflex tippet and tippet rings.  Tie tippet ring to end of leader with improved clinch knot or davies knot, then attach three feet of tippet using same knot.  The ring will prevent you from continously cutting back your tappered leader to add more tippet.

This very versatile leader setup can be used for panfish, bass, pickeral in ponds and fishing streamers for trout and smallmouth bass on rivers.

Since you are from CT, Upcountry Outfitters in New Hartford will have everything you need and then some.  They also take phone orders and have free 2 day shipping for orders over $50.  They are a great resource and were instrumental in shortening my learning curve.  Good luck and have fun.

I echo the 40/20/12. 4’/2’/2’. Assuming you’re throwing poppers and streamers. Some people keep mentioning like straight leader, 36”, yadda yadda. Sure that works but it kinda sucks and isn’t as nice to cast as a leader with a heavy butt section. Why be a hack? Just make a leader. 
Built one for the park pond by my house to use with an Eagleclaw fiberglass 4wt and sneaky petes. 40lbs rio, 20lbs chameleon, 12lbs green, 0x tippet. 

I always got the same advice when I started fishing stripers. “Just use 8’ 20lbs mono....” sure it works and you’ll catch fish but it just plain sucks to cast compared to even just a 2pc leader with a heavy butt. 

Edited by chuckbucktail