Mattyice572

Snake head

31 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Mattyice572 said:

Thanks for all the replys on this thread, it is much appreciated... as far as spot burning goes, i dont really believe in such a thing. Just my personal opinion. Majority of water ways are open to the public and helping a fellow fisherman have a good day on the water is a solid good deed in my book, especially if youre helping that person follow through with one of their dreams. I have taken alot of friends to spots i know have good hook up rates, and plenty of people have taken me to good spots to fish as well. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming season! 

That's great just do not do it on the internet.  Sharing with your fishing buddy is a whole lot different then sharing with the entire world 

 

Stay away from my spots please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Captain Ahab said:

That's great just do not do it on the internet.  Sharing with your fishing buddy is a whole lot different then sharing with the entire world 

 

Stay away from my spots please

:clap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought this community was supposed to be about helping each other... if you dont want to help, dont respond to the post its pretty simple, but im thankful for those who are willing to help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I target is snakeheads for freshwater species anymore. They fight better than bass and eat better than striper. They have one of the best top water bites I have ever seen. 

on that note I keep 2 or 3 and release the rest. A law cant force anybody to kill a living being. it must be returned to the same body of water right away. I live in PA and fish in maryland. If you are ever looking for areas in MD or DE shoot me a private ill give ya spots. I think everyone shoot catch these fish and see what they are truly about. these fish have brought so much money into maryland and other states with people making baits for them and tornys going on i hope it becomes a game fish with a limit. They are no different than a bass when it comes to being a predatory fish. The flat head and blue cats in the potomac are making a much much bigger impact on the eco system than snake heads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What made me interested in targeting them is that I've heard they'll murder a topwater on the dog days of summer under a burning sun when bass have retreated to stay cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fish the Potomac and local waters around northern Virginia.  I am not sure if it is just where I fish, but it seems like the snakehead population has tapered off.  Several years ago I used to catch larger fish with more frequency.  Last year I only caught about a dozen with the largest being under 5 pounds.  

 

The fight varies so much from fish to fish, but the best part of snakehead fishing is definitely the violence of the strike.  Ferocious, pull the rod out of your hands, strikes.  If you are lucky they will make multiple leaps and runs, if you aren't they will come to the boat like a log and blow up right at the boat when you are trying to get the boga in their mouth. 

 

I usually catch mine on the edge of grass mats with either a spinnerbait or hollow body frog.  It is a PITA getting your lure back, their mouths clamp down and won't open.  Makes it really hard to get a boga in their mouth.  Just talking about it makes me itch to fish.

 

Tight Lines

 

Bruce

Edited by bruceinva

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mattyice572 said:

Thought this community was supposed to be about helping each other... if you dont want to help, dont respond to the post its pretty simple, but im thankful for those who are willing to help. 

 

To the guys who chase big snakehead full time, you are an absolute nightmare. It's the last species people should be spot burning. This is the one happy fishing place on the internet that doesn't allow it, part of the reason SOL is as robust a forum as it is. Plenty of sites for spoonfeeding spots, not that that really helps you as an angler. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've seen in DE they haven't had the horrific effect we were all terrified of years ago.  I've actually read some research indicating that their repeat spawnings and tons of fry have actually added to LMB forage in many areas and haven't seen a change in the bass and panfish populations. Targeting them for the last couple years I don't see the voracious predators that they are made out to be.  Don't get me wrong, topwater frog blowups are amazing in ferocity but there are just as many days sight casting to them they just watch the lure go by.  To each their own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, fishguts430 said:

All I target is snakeheads for freshwater species anymore. They fight better than bass and eat better than striper. They have one of the best top water bites I have ever seen. 

on that note I keep 2 or 3 and release the rest. A law cant force anybody to kill a living being. it must be returned to the same body of water right away. I live in PA and fish in maryland. If you are ever looking for areas in MD or DE shoot me a private ill give ya spots. I think everyone shoot catch these fish and see what they are truly about. these fish have brought so much money into maryland and other states with people making baits for them and tornys going on i hope it becomes a game fish with a limit. They are no different than a bass when it comes to being a predatory fish. The flat head and blue cats in the potomac are making a much much bigger impact on the eco system than snake heads. 

 

Glad you brought up flatheads.

 

They trump blue cats and snakeheads and then some as far as predatory prowess. They are very very aggressive, smart, and the least gap limited fish in North America. They are also predatory from day one. Once caught a 2in flathead on a 4in redworm.

 

It is nothing for an 18in flathead can eat a 8in shad or 8in bass; and these people think snakeheads are hardcore.:laugh: An adult snakehead is chump meat to a 40in flattie, Lol! Flatheads are the musky of the catfish world except they are much better breeders, parents, and more adaptable which can equal greater numbers.

 

Blue cats are nothing compared to flatheads either. Until a blue cat gets some substancial size to it they are primarily generalists with diets composed of vegetation and invertebrates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2021 at 8:44 PM, Mattyice572 said:

Majority of water ways are open to the public and helping a fellow fisherman have a good day on the water is a solid good deed in my book

 

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished. 

 

And as someone who lives near the epicenter of snakehead land, it is only a matter of time before they start shutting down those spots with no parking signs or no fishing signs due to increased crowds and the issues that follow them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone that wants some facts about snakeheads and what they have done to other fisheries, YouTube "John Odenkirk Snakeheads". He is a VA marine biologist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here is a summary ...
 
It’s been 13 years since the snakehead, a.k.a. the frankenfish, was first found in the Potomac River. Initial predictions were dire, but during recent years it’s become clear that the snakehead is just another fish in the river.
 

The snakehead has not destroyed the Potomac River’s ecosystem as first predicted, and it appears that it’s coexisting with the other game fish in the river just fine. According to John Odenkirk, Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) biologist, the bass population in the Potomac River is better now than in recent years.

 

---

 

And as someone mentioned above, the numbers seem to be retracting, not growing. Which I believe he explains the reasoning behind in some of his videos and articles. 

Edited by PhilCVG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2021 at 9:55 AM, Mattyice572 said:

Hey guys, i am trying to land a snake head this season. I have never caught one before and they look awesome and i bet they put up a nice fight. I live in northern nj, around the ringwood area, can anyone confirm any snake heads in this area or near by? Was also hoping to find these beasts in a lake rather than a river if you have any info you dont mind sharing it would be much appreciated, im a catch and release all day type of guy so ill be popping those trophys right back in to catch another day no worries about me hacking the heads off. Thanks!

 

On 3/16/2021 at 4:34 PM, MattieG said:

I think this thread pretty much violates the rule of spot burning? Although if you were planning on harvesting them, maybe mods would look the other way? 
 

I say that because you need to harvest these things. You do not catch and release snake heads. Some states may even have laws regarding it, I think some do.


If you happen to find these fish, please don’t be acting all excited like your post seems to be. When you find snake heads you should be worried. Worried about what they are doing to the ecosystem. They are an invasive species, and destroy everything. Might also be a good idea to call fish and game and let them know where you caught them.
 

 

We do not allow posts asking for specific spots here.  EVER.  It doesn't matter if they are invasive species or not as there are tons of invasive species in our waters.  No spot burning posts are allowed so if this thread is to continue, keep the areas general or talk about tactics and such.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2021 at 8:44 PM, Mattyice572 said:

Thanks for all the replys on this thread, it is much appreciated... as far as spot burning goes, i dont really believe in such a thing. Just my personal opinion. Majority of water ways are open to the public and helping a fellow fisherman have a good day on the water is a solid good deed in my book, especially if youre helping that person follow through with one of their dreams. I have taken alot of friends to spots i know have good hook up rates, and plenty of people have taken me to good spots to fish as well. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming season! 

This rule isn't up for debate.  It's been around for a long time.  Please keep to forum guidelines whether you agree with them or not.  ;)  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.