bassturds

Chu 2021

Rate this topic

261 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

For those using inshore gear, or brighter braid do you use a longer than typical mono leader?  Are these fish more prone to spooking than stripers?  I've got my inshore rod spooled with 15 lb chartreuse suffix and I don't wanna spook the fish.

Hmm, I don't think of stripers as being line shy. I use 40lb braid and a 40lb fluorocarbon leader.

At the 'Chu, the water is crystal clear, just like Quabbin. If it's sunny, no wind and the water's like glass, don't expect to catch much.

At the 'Chu I use lo-vis green, 15 lb braid. I have a 3', 12lb flourocarbon leader attached with a tiny barrel swivel. I use a small duo lock snap for attaching lures.

Edited by zak-striper

4 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

I don't wanna spook the fish.

If you plan on targeting salmon up there, they have really good eyesite so they can be spooked by line, especially on sunny, calm days. 

I know guys at Quabbin who troll for salmon who use a 4lb or 6lb leader, which I think is nuts because I've had lakers bite off an 8lb leader more than once.

Edited by zak-striper

1 hour ago, z-man said:

I think I’m going to bring my kids there one day during school vacation week. Which areas would you guys recommend that have the most open exposed shoreline/beach where they won’t be hitting trees while casting? Would like an area where we can just keep walking and casting. We’re fine with walking a few miles. 

I would recommend scar hill

Zilch today, nothing at all....no one even got a bite!  It's all over, just in time for the weekend rush.

+1 for Scar Hill, walk as far as you want to the right....maybe some serious fishermen to the left.

Hooked into a fish with good weight that pulled drag late yesterday afternoon. Got it within 15 ft of shore and it managed to wrap my line around an immovable object. Just couldnt free it and eventually the fish freed itself. Gaaaah !

Charlie-Brown-Good-Grief-HEADER_0.png

The skuck is finally gone. Got there at around 5 am perfect conditions got 2 very nice Lakers one on a silver spoon the other on a shiner both of them were above the "normal" chu size. Left at around 830 the wind really picked up and the bite died.  No pictures just unhooked them both and pointed them back to open water.

1 hour ago, bartlask said:

The skuck is finally gone. Got there at around 5 am perfect conditions got 2 very nice Lakers one on a silver spoon the other on a shiner both of them were above the "normal" chu size. Left at around 830 the wind really picked up and the bite died.  No pictures just unhooked them both and pointed them back to open water.

:th:

wow.......no talk of ticks?

nobody die yet?

or are you saved by the mask?

Edited by unskunk

Ticks are a real issue out there. 

My son contracted Lyme Disease when he was 12 from a tick he got while fishing with me at the Wachusett. Scary part was we never found a tick or classic bullseye. It was a summer fever, followed by concentration issues at school in the fall and finally a diagnosis of a swollen lymph node. I could go into more details but it would be a waste of typing to you.

So Ticks are no joke.

Got it?

I was talking to a ranger there last Thurs. who said he got a bullseye deer tick once which got bigger, but he never got Lyme. 

I'm thinking the recent deer hunts are cutting down on the deer ticks?  

The ranger also said he caught a guy (w/ his girl) fishing in the No Fishing Area that day....had his rod lying flat perpendicular to the water in some rocks, but w/ a tell-tail bobber in the water.   No license either, lol.