bassturds

Chu 2021

Rate this topic

183 posts in this topic

23 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I saw that photo. if that was the alleged 25lb fish then idk. looks like a nice 8lb fish to me. the other photos tell its real size

Screenshot_20210407-152141_Fishbrain.jpg

I agree. I caught a 16 LB laker years ago in Montana that was much bigger than that one. 

2 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Eastern MA? Arlington B&T in has a pic of a big brown that a kid caught last spring while fishing with his father. Wondering if that's the same fish.

I am not sure. That was central MA. He got it certified at Jerry’s B&T in Milford. It weighed 10lb on the boga right when he caught it. We have video of that. It lost a few oz on its way I guess. 

Got 4 Lakers this afternoon.  Nothing big.  All about 3lbs or so.  Blade baits.

Still looking for my first Smallie of 2021.

Tight lines!

Frezzy

49 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

How do those big fish fight? 

What would they be compared to other fish fighting wise?

Lakers? Mostly like pulling in a heavy weight, although sometimes theyll get a little sporty in.the shallows. 

Of all the chu species, i think smallies offer the best fight (or salmon if you hook a bigger one).

4 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

How do those big fish fight? 

What would they be compared to other fish fighting wise?

The ones I have been catching are real fun, you can tell right away there not your usual resy lakers.   Yesterday I took my 10lb. light rod for the challenge....in 10 min I had one on (the one w/ my foot in the pic)....I had to walk it along shore for a while before landing it.   It also took a run & peeled off line.  That was the shortest but fattest of the bunch, stomach bulging w/ bait fish (the pics don't do justice).

As for smallies, I saw a HUGE one caught yesterday....I can't imagine a fatter one!   They were rising & chasing bait to shore, along w/ lakers.   The guy w/ the smallie also had a large laker on but turned near shore, shook it's head & snapped his line!

Some landed are coughing up shiners....I also tried silver & white spoons for hours just to see....all my fish were caught on gold.

BTW: the guy who caught the big on in the pics was using a FW baitcasting rod, & caught it in an area not considered prime, but right next to one.   You can walk for miles along shore....

For those using inshore gear, or brighter braid do you use a longer than typical mono leader?  Are these fish more prone to spooking than stripers?  I've got my inshore rod spooled with 15 lb chartreuse suffix and I don't wanna spook the fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

For those using inshore gear, or brighter braid do you use a longer than typical mono leader?  Are these fish more prone to spooking than stripers?  I've got my inshore rod spooled with 15 lb chartreuse suffix and I don't wanna spook the fish.

Thats a good question, how long of a leader are people using here?

The problem I have with a long leader is it slows down the cast by knot hitting the guides, especially with really light lures

Edited by Richard_the_Aughth

12 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

I use hi-vis yellow braid at the Chu all the time with no issues at all.  I run long flouro leaders though.  Usually between 10-15' for my leaders.  The only time I use a mono leader is for topwater Smallies.  I use either and FG or Alberto knot to connect braid with leaders and have no issues with reeling the knot onto my spool.  

1 hour ago, frezzy said:

I use hi-vis yellow braid at the Chu all the time with no issues at all.  I run long flouro leaders though.  Usually between 10-15' for my leaders.  The only time I use a mono leader is for topwater Smallies.  I use either and FG or Alberto knot to connect braid with leaders and have no issues with reeling the knot onto my spool.  

I use alberto knot as well but the knot still hits my guides. Wonder what I am doing wrong?

I think I’m going to bring my kids there one day during school vacation week. Which areas would you guys recommend that have the most open exposed shoreline/beach where they won’t be hitting trees while casting? Would like an area where we can just keep walking and casting. We’re fine with walking a few miles. 

36 mins ago, z-man said:

I think I’m going to bring my kids there one day during school vacation week. Which areas would you guys recommend that have the most open exposed shoreline/beach where they won’t be hitting trees while casting? Would like an area where we can just keep walking and casting. We’re fine with walking a few miles. 

Plenty of room now. Water is low