bassturds

Chu 2021

Rate this topic

183 posts in this topic

I'm not a live bait guy I'm always walking and tossing Kastmaster and crankbaits.  Has anyone ever tried Trout magnets with a bobber out there.  I was thinking of giving it a go Saturday morning for a change of pace, any thoughts?

3 hours ago, bartlask said:

I'm not a live bait guy I'm always walking and tossing Kastmaster and crankbaits.  Has anyone ever tried Trout magnets with a bobber out there.  I was thinking of giving it a go Saturday morning for a change of pace, any thoughts?

I fish shiners under a slip bobber setup when I target salmon & rainbows. I even get the occasional laker or smallie on that rig when they are cruising the shallows.

Tomorrow's gonna be a shyte show. I hope you're mentally prepared for this.  :)

86e5e-bonnevilleshadfishing.jpg.06b981d015a39839fa50bba477cecc7d.jpg

28 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I fish shiners under a slip bobber setup when I target salmon & rainbows. I even get the occasional laker or smallie on that rig when they are cruising the shallows.

Tomorrow's gonna be a shyte show. I hope you're mentally prepared for this.  :)

Ive tried the slip bobber approach but i cant get it to stay out there. Do you only do it on clam windless days?

5 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Ive tried the slip bobber approach but i cant get it to stay out there. Do you only do it on clam windless days?

I try to do it at certain spots where the wind's blowing out so I can get a good drift. If the wind's blowing in or diagonally into the shore, you have to keep recasting the bobber, which gets annoying. If the wind is blowing in, I try to do it when it's a light breeze so my bobber doesn't keep getting pushed into shore every 5, 10 minutes.

Dead calm days, when the water is glass, usually isn't very productive because the water's so clear and the fish get a real good look at your offerings.

5 hours ago, bartlask said:

I tried small plastic trout worms on a bobber many times (2nd. rod) drifting by the causeway bridge, not much of anything.   I would try a 'real' meal worm instead.  Almost as convenient!  :)

Are all Trout Magnet jig heads non lead?

2 hours ago, zak-striper said:

86e5e-bonnevilleshadfishing.jpg.06b981d015a39839fa50bba477cecc7d.jpg

It's not the canal....  :)

I hear the water is very low, so there will be plenty of room (to explore).   But, some times the low water lever throws off the fishing?

Was that you zak-striper w/ the blade bait last (good) day of fishing last year?

6 hours ago, bartlask said:

I used to be a chu rat, but don’t fish it as much anymore. The old water bobber totally full with a leech pattern fly always produced the most and surprisingly biggest salmon. For slip bobber fishing pick a location with wind at back and send shiner on a long drift. I always was partial to 5 feet down. For shear numbers of Lakers, a 3/4 ounce rooster tail. Cast, let sink to bottom, slow retrieve. Will outfish standard Kastmaster or Croc all day long. Good luck guys, I may give it a go late Sunday. 

I’ll be there at first light tomorrow with the crowds.  I’ll be close to the road as I can’t stay too long, will report on what I catch/see. 

Kept a laker last year, had a 8” rubber worm in his gut . He never would’ve passed it. Second week. He was the unlucky one, the others were C & R

11 hours ago, Big tree said:

Kept a laker last year, had a 8” rubber worm in his gut . He never would’ve passed it. Second week. He was the unlucky one, the others were C & R

Caught plenty of rainbows with senkos inside

Got there at around 6 (23 deg) and left around 7, it's a little tough to cast when line and eyelets are frozen! Plan on going back either later in the day or later in the week. God luck out there

32 mins ago, bdowning said:

Im guessing a lot of frozen lines and spools this am. :eek: im deferring til sunday or monday.

I wonder if the DCR will have hot coffee and raspberry scones again this year?

15 mins ago, bob_G said:

No

due to Covid restrictions the DCR will be handing out free coffee coupons for Cumberland Farms. DCR is so nice 

19 mins ago, bob_G said:

No, theyll be too busy guarding the gates pre-dawn like Ft Knox. By monday, you wont see them for the rest of the season.