bassturds

Chu 2021

Rate this topic

183 posts in this topic

Took my boys over to scar hill on Sunday to skip some rocks and enjoy the weather.  The water is insanely low. At least there will be plenty of space opening weekend...

1 min ago, bdowning said:

May do some shore recon in the next few days.

I have a buddy who reconnoitered the Chu the other day. 

This season, I plan to hit the smallies hard. Have always been drawn to the Rez because of the trout and salmon fishery that I rarely target smallies. I have only caught them by accident on spoons targeting lakers. 

Just curious, for those dedicated smallie anglers, what's your go to method for the early spring bite? 

On 3/25/2021 at 9:03 AM, Dah seee said:

This season, I plan to hit the smallies hard. Have always been drawn to the Rez because of the trout and salmon fishery that I rarely target smallies. I have only caught them by accident on spoons targeting lakers. 

Just curious, for those dedicated smallie anglers, what's your go to method for the early spring bite? 

Early spring is jerkbaits and jigs for me.  Chu Smallies just smash jerkbaits.  Use big jerkbaits.  Nothing smaller than 110 size.  I go much larger.  Perch color is tough to beat as an all around producer.  White in cloudy/low light conditions.  Ghost/transparent colors like pro blue or elegy bone in the sun.  Casting distance is critically important for consistent success on Chu smallies.  Long rods with 10lb braid to 8-10lb flouro leader.  Focus on secondary points leading into spawning coves.  Hit me up during the season.  I will be out there 3 days a week chasing the brown bass.  Happy to share reports.  

On 3/26/2021 at 8:55 PM, frezzy said:

Early spring is jerkbaits and jigs for me.  Chu Smallies just smash jerkbaits.  Use big jerkbaits.  Nothing smaller than 110 size.  I go much larger.  Perch color is tough to beat as an all around producer.  White in cloudy/low light conditions.  Ghost/transparent colors like pro blue or elegy bone in the sun.  Casting distance is critically important for consistent success on Chu smallies.  Long rods with 10lb braid to 8-10lb flouro leader.  Focus on secondary points leading into spawning coves.  Hit me up during the season.  I will be out there 3 days a week chasing the brown bass.  Happy to share reports.  

Frezzy mind if I PM you as well?  I'm down there often and truthfully I have a love /hate relationship with the place.  I can't tell you how many miles I've hiked around fishing with very few fish to talk about.  I'll be down there for sure either Sat or Sun,  either way lets hook up sometime.