Avet SX for Yak

Rate this topic

coastalfreak

Looking to purchase the Avet SX 5.3 to use off of pier and yak/boat for big drum, big blue/flathead cats, blacktip/bull sharks, rays, and gar, primarily. Casting won’t be critical with this reel, more of a lob about 50 feet at maximum, if ever. I plan on buying a Fathom and a dedicated surf stick for my long distance stuff. I would be dropping 4-6 oz of lead with cut bait with this setup. I’m new to the big game scene so I don’t know a lot about this. 

Im thinking of pairing it up with an Ugly Stik Tiger rod.

Any thoughts on if this is the right tool for the job? If not, what would you use? 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

45 mins ago, Mlima5 said:

Sx for a bull shark? Good luck with that. Ive got an MXL 5.8 that i like alot for stripers that may do you better. Still light for bull sharks though id think 

I meant to say sharks in the 3 foot (give or take) or less range. Should have clarified, I apologize. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

Personally, I don't cast bait on a kayak, I fish up and down and focus on keeping bait right off the bottom or suspended in the middle of the water column.

A lever drag does a good job of suspending baits just off the bottom as you can use the drag to apply just enough tension to prevent the bait and weight from causing the baitclicker to slip.

If you will be holding the rod and reel in hand the Komodo 471SS could handle most of everything you mentioned, plus fill a duel purpose role as a lure reel.

The down side is the clicker lacks the tension strength to keep bait and weight suspended off the bottom when fishing vertically if you will be leaving the set-up in the rod holder.

Myself?

I would get a dedicated shark set-up if you are going for big bull sharks from boats and kayaks and a second dedicated everything else set-up.

An SX G2 on an Uglystik Tiger would be a good everything else set-up.

I don't have any desire to catch a shark or big ray on a kayak, others here might have a recommendation for those set-ups, but a Penn Senator 113 might not be a bad place to start from the kayak.

1 min ago, the3fishheads said:

That's an 8 footer taken on a fathom 12. The reel is not much bigger than a peanut.

Sx would have been twice as much work to beach that thang.

Screenshot_20210316-135352_Chrome.jpg

How do sand tigers compare to bull sharks in terms of fighting power? Just from my experience (one bull shark on a Raptor HXW) an Avet SX and Fathom 12 are both to small.

17 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Looking to purchase the Avet SX 5.3 to use off of pier and yak/boat for big drum, big blue/flathead cats, blacktip/bull sharks, rays, and gar, primarily. Casting won’t be critical with this reel, more of a lob about 50 feet at maximum, if ever. I plan on buying a Fathom and a dedicated surf stick for my long distance stuff. I would be dropping 4-6 oz of lead with cut bait with this setup. I’m new to the big game scene so I don’t know a lot about this. 

Im thinking of pairing it up with an Ugly Stik Tiger rod.

Any thoughts on if this is the right tool for the job? If not, what would you use? 

I have an Avet sx 5.3 and i do not like it and would not take it for sharks.  Drag is way underpowered. Even with max drag line comes out on a musky hookset. I would go with a penn squall 12 - my personal favorite overall reel for the money. Squall has very heavy drag and and land big sharks but can also be used for freshwater - musky and cats. 

1 min ago, Beastly Backlash said:

How do sand tigers compare to bull sharks in terms of fighting power? Just from my experience (one bull shark on a Raptor HXW) an Avet SX and Fathom 12 are both to small.

Bull sharks absolutely are stronger. I brought a real nice one ( ~8’) boat side down in the keys, and it was a 20 minute fight with a 50w international. Granted, we forgot a fighting belt so I did not get max leverage on it,

but I’m not sure how much it mattered given that for the first ten minutes of the fight the shark basically went about it’s business lol.

Sand tigers fight like most other sharks (excluding makos, threshers, bulls),

a bit underwhelming pound for pound.