gellfex

Going to Ft Myers, hit me with what I need to know for kayak fishing!

64 posts in this topic

The kayakers now are catching trout, snook and big Jack and launching from Tarpon Lodge which gets you into fish quickly. It also protects from winds coming across Charlotte Harbor. :rav:

14 mins ago, RAW said:

The kayakers now are catching trout, snook and big Jack and launching from Tarpon Lodge which gets you into fish quickly. It also protects from winds coming across Charlotte Harbor. :rav:

Cool, sounds fun! We never did that area of the island last time, the wind was from the west a lot. What's the deal with Tarpon Lodge, do they have parking and a public launch?

I'm also shopping for another travel rod. What weight class would you say is best for there, 8-16, 10-20 lb or heavier? I was going to use a 3000 spooled with 15lb braid. but I do have a couple of Spinfisher 4500s with 30lb.

Current rules.  Live bait rules.  I've fished quite a bit just south of Fort Myers around Estero Bay and the passes that lead to it.  Fish early and late, I've had the best success at night around structure.  Always keep a walking topwater tied on as well.  If you get around docks or oyster bars make sure your leader is up to snuff, had to go to 30# to keep from getting broken off.  Retie often.  Good luck!

9 hours ago, gellfex said:

Cool, sounds fun! We never did that area of the island last time, the wind was from the west a lot. What's the deal with Tarpon Lodge, do they have parking and a public launch?

I'm also shopping for another travel rod. What weight class would you say is best for there, 8-16, 10-20 lb or heavier? I was going to use a 3000 spooled with 15lb braid. but I do have a couple of Spinfisher 4500s with 30lb.

Tarpon lodge has launch and parking/ couple bucks but worth it to in prime waters in less than a1000,. Bring a drag anchor, 1 gal. Paint pail filled with sand for current when you hit the mother load bring both rods or reels. The 15 lb is fine around open water, heavier for mangroves . :rav: