gellfex

Going to Ft Myers, hit me with what I need to know for kayak fishing!

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

A light jig head with a soft plastic tail tipped with a small piece of shrimp is a winner. Try moving it slower and faster.

Also shallow diving floating minnows around 4 or so inches long will attract snappers and jacks and whatever. When you

move from spot to spot throw something behind you to troll along, you can stop when you hit some action. Subsurface minnows will out produce top waters most of the time.

Edited by Seakarp
additional stuff

Small paddle tails, shrimp imitations thrown tight to the mangroves has resulted in snook.

Troll small swimmers or paddle tails for ladyfish. Then chunked ladyfish into the mangrove pockets ,which has worked well for me in the past for reds.

Edited by CharlieB

Thanks guys, I'll try some of this stuff Thursday. It's one of the frustrating things about fishing to me is not knowing whether I'm using the wrong thing, I'm in the wrong place or both!  When my parents first took a place in Delray I tried to fish the pond with the kid trying all sorts of things from nightcrawlers to top waters and got nothing but sunnies. Once we switch to wacky hooked senkos we were catching bass like crazy.

Today is a rain out and tomorrow is visiting cousins in Fort Lauderdale that we haven't seen for ages. If it was just scattered cells coming through I'd be out there, but this is pretty continuous today.

5 hours ago, RAW said:

GO to Bokeelia !!!!!!!!!!!!, just take a car ride, your in protected open clean water

Do you mean the public county lavender landing boat ramp?

Tarpon Lodge, you launch kayaks, great meals and your about a 1000' from great fishing. Of course  Capt. Con's at the end by Bokeelia Pier, water my plants on way by; 

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

The weather cleared up this afternoon and I got a late afternoon paddle in. 2 barely keeper mangroves and a 16" red. Got a nice swirl on the spook. Filled the belly of a paddletail with shrimp Pro cure...nada.

Everyone I've spoken with said the fishing has sucked this week.

2 hours ago, RAW said:

Go to Cape Weather, Capt. Russ, fishing Bokeelia on shrimp, over 60 fish around the piers yesterday

Hey, I really appreciate your trying to give me some help, but your posts are too short and not informative enough to actually give me information I can use. I can't find Cape weather on a map! And I don't see what fishing grounds are near the lodge. 

The only thing I can figure out to do is to launch at the Town ramp and fish the area east of there inside.  Looks like it's going to be pretty breezy tomorrow.

Google in "Bokeelia Fishing pier live web cam," on the side are fishing reports from most all guides who fish around the piers. When viewing web cam you will see all the kayakers coming and going. People launch right by pier. The other place is 1000' before Tarpon Lodge and Randall research, public access to very nice flats, Just paddle past Tarpon Lodge, water 3-4' and just full of everything your looking for.I throw top water plugs for the sea trout (20-27") the snook are there and caught on spoons, plugs ,shrimp.  PM me if you want a call, Bob

How long are you staying? I'll be back in town next Tuesday and would be glad to go out with you and show you some spots. I kayak fish Sanibel, and Pine Island 3 or 4 days a week.

Edited by Ed M

5 hours ago, Ed M said:

How long are you staying? I'll be back in town next Tuesday and would be glad to go out with you and show you some spots. I kayak fish Sanibel, and Pine Island 3 or 4 days a week.

That's an awesome offer Ed, but sadly we're leaving Saturday night. It's been really nice here despite the iffy weather, the wife really likes it, so perhaps we will make this a regular thing and I can take you up on that!

Thanks @RAW, we put it at the Town ramp in Bokeelia and the wife toodled around the inside while I tried snapper fishing around the mangroves and went out front despite the strong breeze and fairly heavy chop that had the nose of my T14 buried at times. 

I was trolling a shallow diving swimmer and the reel went off!  Felt like a nice fish, a real fighter, I was wondering what it was, fought hard, wasn't giving up like a bluefish. Finally got it up: it was a 5 lb blue! I traveled for this???

I saw some pelicans diving on bait by the shore, went over and tried tossing a spook in there on several other things. Nada. It's been fun but tough going here. I probably should have booked at least a day of guiding. But at least we've been getting out, Carmen of Carmen's Kayaks, where we rented the boats, said she couple had booked her guiding all week but hadn't gotten out yet because of the weather!

I'm from Ct. and winter in Fl. I fish LI sound when I'm in Ct. It took me a long time to get the hang of flats fishing because your not looking for bottom structure and the fish can be anywhere. The best thing to do is to pick a area and really work it, you will almost always get something. If you go next year let me know and we can get together.

On 4/21/2021 at 1:10 AM, gellfex said:

Looks like it's going to be pretty breezy tomorrow.

IT's been windy almost every weekend this year there, and a lot during the week. I was out last week, we went 8 for 14 on Tarpon 90-130#. Was planning to go PErmit fishing but was too windy to run off. NExt day the captain I was with had a dozen up to 30#. I fished Matlacha Sunday and it was too windy. We ended up catching a few 26-30" Snook 100 feet from the boat ramp, and a few more around docks. We fished mangroves for hours with nothing. .

video-1618869482.mp4

video-1618880460.mp4

Edited by Billy 40

On 4/22/2021 at 8:07 AM, Ed M said:

I'm from Ct. and winter in Fl. I fish LI sound when I'm in Ct. It took me a long time to get the hang of flats fishing because your not looking for bottom structure and the fish can be anywhere. The best thing to do is to pick a area and really work it, you will almost always get something. If you go next year let me know and we can get together.

Hey Ed, 

You generously offered last April to let me join you fishing around Pine Island but we were leaving before you were returning. Well we're going to be there again on the 13th of Dec, and I was wondering if you were around? My 22 year old son and I will be fishing, and it looks like the guide we had booked for a few days may have crapped out. This time we're staying in Bokelia. 

Unfortunately you don't have enough posts for PM's, it's like 15. You can email me, 'my username'@hotmail.com

Anyone else have more kibbitzing in this thread, feel free! I didn't do that great on my own last spring.