gellfex

Going to Ft Myers, hit me with what I need to know for kayak fishing!

64 posts in this topic

I fished Florida in a yak for a whole month this year, and only missed a few days. The very first place I fished turned out to be my favorite one, lots of action under a bridge fishing the pilings. Every time I went to a new spot it did not pan out as good as the first. I would suggest getting a Florida fish ID app or a little fish ID book that they sell. If you plan on fishing with live shrimp you will need a little livewell bucket with an aerator. I purchased mine online for about 30 bucks. 5 dozen live shrimp may seem like a lot, but the bait stealers will make you feel like you did not bring enough bait when you are in the right area. The water is very clear down there and I was getting more bites when I used 10# fluorocarbon leader. If you will be tossing jigs I would go heavier of course.

This was my first year fishing from a yak down there and I learned a lot and I still have a lot to learn. You will have fun down there, just don't get burned on your first day. Good luck.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Check Estero River Outfitters for rentals as well.

***didn't realize the thread started in March.  Did the trip happen yet?

Edited by CharlieB

Well, we arrived last night as Carmen's Kayaks delivered a T120 and T140 to our rental in St James. We took a voyage this afternoon on the west side of the island, tiny bit windy, I saw a few fish jump but could not get myself a bite or even a swirl casting close to the mangroves.  I was mostly casting the jumping minnow chrome spook, also tried a rubber with shrimp Pro Cure. I'm looking into some shrimp for snappers, I'd like to put something on the table. Reading structure of mangroves is hard.

At least getting the boats in & out of the water from the bulkhead seems to be not a problem: Elevator going up!

IMG_20210418_170345783_copy_1152x864.jpg.9dab0b645fada3f78cd15ab7ce91d066.jpg

If you can get to the other end of the island, 13 miles, Fish around all the piers and over by Tarpon Lodge , That end has cleaner water, less wind. PM me if need further help

The fish jumping are most likely mullet. 

Welcome to florida.

Don’t let the possibility of the rain over the next couple days keep you from going out. Be aware of lightning, if you hear thunder keep an eye out. If you have to find cover get up tight in the lee of the mangroves. Put your rods down and horizontal. Most the storms don’t last very long. I’ve hide under bridges during storms. 

Rain here is not an all day event and certainly not something that happens over a big area this time of the year. It’s going to be a bit muggy the next couple days, hence the rain, then cooler less muggy weather before the weekend. 

Mangrove fishing is nothing more than cast, move, cast, move again. It’s a game of right place, 5 ft away and nothing is there. Look for little pockets, could be a small bend back, or a down branch. Sometimes it’s hanging branches of oysters, cast under and you might find something. 

If you find an area of hardwoods one side and mangroves the other, fish the mangrove side. Fish each leg of a dock. Don’t spend a lot of time just a few minutes and move on. Fish a pvc pole sticking up, structure is the key. Signs of no wake or manatee signs, fish them, both poles and both sides of the poles. 

If you get into an area of small mangrove snappers, just move on. They will steal your bucket of shrimp that quick. 

If your fishing from a dock keep the bait bucket closed. The local birds will reach in and clean you out. 

2 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

Mangrove fishing is nothing more than cast, move, cast, move again. It’s a game of right place, 5 ft away and nothing is there. Look for little pockets, could be a small bend back, or a down branch. Sometimes it’s hanging branches of oysters, cast under and you might find something. 

If you find an area of hardwoods one side and mangroves the other, fish the mangrove side. Fish each leg of a dock. Don’t spend a lot of time just a few minutes and move on. Fish a pvc pole sticking up, structure is the key. Signs of no wake or manatee signs, fish them, both poles and both sides of the poles. 

If you get into an area of small mangrove snappers, just move on. They will steal your bucket of shrimp that quick. 

If your fishing from a dock keep the bait bucket closed. The local birds will reach in and clean you out. 

Thanks for the info. When you say 'fish' are you speaking exclusively of live shrimp? I have an aerator but I don't have a bucket for it. It just seems a huge pain to have a live bait on the kayak. The guide who rented us the kayaks here claims that she uses frozen shrimp to the mockery of many and kicks their ass.

I saw an interesting video where a guy would chum an area to draw in the snappers and then throw a pin fish chunk to snag out the big ones.

2 hours ago, RAW said:

If you can get to the other end of the island, 13 miles, Fish around all the piers and over by Tarpon Lodge , That end has cleaner water, less wind. PM me if need further help

Thanks for the tip, we're looking to explore other parts of the island anyway. I assume you're talking about tossing shrimp also. Boy, John Skinner makes bringing up game fish with a spook look so easy!

6 hours ago, gellfex said:

Thanks for the info. When you say 'fish' are you speaking exclusively of live shrimp? I have an aerator but I don't have a bucket for it. It just seems a huge pain to have a live bait on the kayak. The guide who rented us the kayaks here claims that she uses frozen shrimp to the mockery of many and kicks their ass.

I saw an interesting video where a guy would chum an area to draw in the snappers and then throw a pin fish chunk to snag out the big ones.

Work/fish the areas, it doesn’t have to be using shrimp. Could be a jig and plastic too. The frozen shrimp are soft and fall off a hook easy. I’d say try a package for yourself and see. You can fish shrimp live that do die, they will work fine. You can remove the head and thread the tail on a jig. 

8 hours ago, gellfex said:

Thanks for the tip, we're looking to explore other parts of the island anyway. I assume you're talking about tossing shrimp also. Boy, John Skinner makes bringing up game fish with a spook look so easy!

Shrimp is candy, but easily lots, The area from Tarpon Lodge and Bokeelia has 100's of mangrove cuts loaded with snapper and snook, popping cork.  Top water earl am or after 4 , less than 20' from mangroves. 

Gell, another thing you can do that works well for reds and snook is bait soaking. Buy a package of frozen finger mullet. Think you get about 6 for $5. 

Cut the tail off and cut chunks from there. Use a small egg sinker as weight. Toss it up and into the mangroves, let the current carry the scent. Sometimes it doesn’t take long and you’ll get a fish. Other times you have to move a few times to get one. If you can fish the long edge of a island and moving tide that carries the scent down the entire side of the island. 

Set the rod and fish a second one while you wait. I’ll give it up to about 20 minutes and then move on. Change the chunk and try again.  

On 3/15/2021 at 10:10 PM, The Riddler said:

Causeway Reef would be your closest shot from Sanibel. If conditions are good you can easily reach it. You may get lucky and have more kayak anglers heading out the same day as you. 

6139C3CD-F914-4649-B4CD-B85EA0ED63F1.png

What app is that? 

1 hour ago, saltfisherman said:

Gell, another thing you can do that works well for reds and snook is bait soaking. Buy a package of frozen finger mullet. Think you get about 6 for $5. 

Cut the tail off and cut chunks from there. Use a small egg sinker as weight. Toss it up and into the mangroves, let the current carry the scent. Sometimes it doesn’t take long and you’ll get a fish. Other times you have to move a few times to get one. If you can fish the long edge of a island and moving tide that carries the scent down the entire side of the island. 

Set the rod and fish a second one while you wait. I’ll give it up to about 20 minutes and then move on. Change the chunk and try again.  

I heard the chunks worked, I picked up a 10" mangrove today on frozen shrimp and decided to sacrifice it for chunks. The damn snappers didn't seem interested in eating their buddy. 

We were up near Matlacha just north of the causeway onto the island, there is a park with a launch.  I'm going to photo and post my ghetto rental car roof rack. 

All afternoon there were large mullet jumping, but just a dusk over by the main channel they were schools that look like bunker. I tried tossing my chrome spook in and around them but got nothing. Did see a sizable snook and a nice sheepie in the mangroves.  Frustrating afternoon, but the wife had fun toodling around in her kayak checking with me every once in awhile.