gellfex

Going to Ft Myers, hit me with what I need to know for kayak fishing!

64 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, gellfex said:

Wouldn't Navionics on the phone do pretty well at getting me to bottom structure?

Not the same. You want to stay on the fish. Fumbling with the phone, getting wet, jiggin' , too much can go wrong. Better off marking targets and drop another shrimp down. 

3 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Here is your launch point.  Red Marker is the reef. 

That looks like there could be some screaming current!

1 min ago, gellfex said:

That looks like there could be some screaming current!

There is the information, You can do what you want. Good luck.

On the way out to St James, there is a road on the left, Tropical Point.

You can launch a kayak there or you can wade fish .

Picnic table for the wife.

I have caught several species there with fly rod and spinning rod.

Fly rod: Clousers and Gurglers.

Spinning: small Kastemasters, DOA cork with live shrimp.

Wade fishing, be careful of rays.  

They are nasty and painful. Do the sting ray shuffle.

Best of luck.

I know that you're asking about kayak fishing, but if you decide to live it up a little and get a charter with your wife, I can send you the name of the guy who took us out of Jensen's Marina in Captiva. We stayed inshore and caught spanish mackerel, sea trout, etc., oh and a 150 lb. tarpon on the very last cast inshore.

Many years ago I rented a kayak at All Water Excursions Marina in North Naples.  They are right on the water, but they don't have Hobies. So you are probably better off with the place Riddler recommended.  

Also, I have 3 Offshore Angler Ocean Master Travel Rods.  They are $159 and I think they are fantastic.  I originally bought one to travel to Naples and have since bought 2 more.  I use them when traveling, but also they are great to store below deck for surf launches.

While I've spent a few days fishing there, I didn't do so well, so I won't offer any actual fishing advice!

Good luck, have fun and post a report! 

Thanks, @atv223. I'm diving into the travel rod thing, as usual it's confusing. In another thread someone recommended the Okuma Nomad Xpress Inshore, which is literally 1/2 the price of the Offshore Angler!

23 hours ago, gellfex said:

So the wife needed to use some vacation time, I heard some good things about the Ft Myers area for fishing, and it was done. She booked a house for a week on the water in St James City on Pine Island next month. We're flying in (both fully vaxed) so I need to rent a kayak and a vehicle to carry it. I have no idea if the latter is even possible. I think I'm going to buy a 7' travel rod this time instead of bringing a 4' tube, that's just such a PITA. It seems like a good idea to bring my own comfy PFD too. 

Is it worth it to bring my GPS/FF and try and rig it, or just use Navionics on the phone? What else besides rig and tackle is worth bringing? Net? Anchor? 

Tacklewise, I was going to bring plugs like poppers, mullet spooks, and plastic swimmers, small bucktails, and baitholder jigs as for tog. I've got a bunch of 3 & 4" metal flecked goldish rubber and 1/4 oz jigheads from a trip to Chokoloskee years ago. What else?

Lastly, any pointers, without burning spots, about what kind of structure etc to target would be great. It looks like where we're going I might not even have to cartop the kayak to get to some good mangrove areas. I've seen some of Skinner's recent vids from that area, and have the basic idea of tossing topwaters at mangroves and tossing baited jigs at docks.  On that Chokoloskee trip I did manage a couple of reds on the oyster flats despite it being a real crappy stormy day.  Anything on the topic would be appreciated.

I have a place in Bokeelia, other end of island, anything thing you want is there. A great kayak spot is Before Tarpon Lodge and just before Randall center(Caloosa mounds research). public access ,easy and you can go any wheres.Top water, shrimp on popping cork rig. You can slow paddle and flat around the mangroves. Big seatrout. I fish there some evenings. Tropical Ln. is a public spot near wear you will be. The waters are the backside of Matalacha sound.

IMG_0178.JPG

10 mins ago, gellfex said:

Thanks, @atv223. I'm diving into the travel rod thing, as usual it's confusing. In another thread someone recommended the Okuma Nomad Xpress Inshore, which is literally 1/2 the price of the Offshore Angler!

At those prices definitely worth trying one!  I bought my first Offshore Angler Rod probably over 10 years ago.  I don't remember the Okuma's being available at that time.  If I recall correctly, the Offshore Angler travel rods were the cheapest ones around, there weren't too many options and most were expensive.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Does anyone have experience or info about the J.N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge, on the inside of Sanibel? Our AB&B house is a 2 mi paddle right across the channel from it, on the SW corner of Pine Island. That's about what I paddle to get to porgy grounds in the Sound.

Can mud crabs be trapped off a dock? I bet I could knock together a usable trap of 1/4" wire screen from the Depot.

Edited by gellfex

12 hours ago, gellfex said:

Does anyone have experience or info about the J.N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge, on the inside of Sanibel? Our AB&B house is a 2 mi paddle right across the channel from it, on the SW corner of Pine Island. That's about what I paddle to get to porgy grounds in the Sound.

Can mud crabs be trapped off a dock? I bet I could knock together a usable trap of 1/4" wire screen from the Depot.

If you spent a year there you would keep finding new places. For Old Florida its a delight for kayakers, 

So I'm probably totally overthinking the travel rod thing, but I bought a 3 pc 7' Tsunami Classic 6-17lb 1/8 to 34 oz. But as I've been watching more videos both Elias and Skinner are using heavier rods. I'm bringing down some old lower quality 2 pcs that I have that are in the range of the Tsunami and a little lighter, should I return the Tsunami for it's Heavy bigger brother that's 15-25lb and 3/4-2oz? I was worried it wouldn't cast rubber with minimal weight well, but it looks like you need some power to keep these fish out of the mangrove roots!

Another option is to keep the lighter Tsunami and then buy a heavier 2 pc in FL since the locals should have appropriate rods. It's startling though how few 2 pc rods there are even in a well stocked place like Jigging World.