NightMoves00

New Electronics

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hello, 

thinking about pulling the trigger on a 35’ Egg. That being said she needs all new electronics. I see Garmin has a nice all in one combo GPS, Fish, & Radar 9” for around 2500... w/o transducer... Simrad is in the same ball park I believe. The radar on the boat currently works and is in good condition, just old. I’d prefer to keep all the systems the same. Maybe this year I just get new gps/fish finder... run with the radar this year? Thoughts on which systems I should go with? Thank you.

I'm happy with my Simrad.  Have sidescan, etc. plus GPS, but my radar is standalone.

But if you're putting everything on a single screen, you might want to see if you can fit something bigger than a 9-inch display.  I've got a 9-inch and it gets crowded just with depth/sidescan/GPS.

Personally, I don't like having everyting in one unit.  It is very nice for some things, and I wouldn't want to be without my Simrad.  However, I also run standalone radar, a standalone GPS, and a standalone fishfinder, because things can and do go out of service.  When you lose your GPS, you can make it home even in bad conditions on a compass, GPS, and radar.  Lose your finder, and you can still sort of fish structure if your GPS numbers are good.  Lose it all at once, and you'd better be good at dead reckoning, or else face a dificult trip home.

Copy that thank you. Yes I should have explained that better. I plan on two screens at the very least. Maybe 3. Def two to start. GPS and Fishfinder on 1 and radar on the other. Then when navigating home or to the grounds just run gps and radar. Thank you.

13 hours ago, NightMoves00 said:

Hello, 

thinking about pulling the trigger on a 35’ Egg. That being said she needs all new electronics. I see Garmin has a nice all in one combo GPS, Fish, & Radar 9” for around 2500... w/o transducer... Simrad is in the same ball park I believe. The radar on the boat currently works and is in good condition, just old. I’d prefer to keep all the systems the same. Maybe this year I just get new gps/fish finder... run with the radar this year? Thoughts on which systems I should go with? Thank you.

what number gamin would that be.....

I agree with Charles. I run different units for radar, chart plotter and depth. My radar is 30 years old but still gets the job done.

45 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I agree with Charles. I run different units for radar, chart plotter and depth. My radar is 30 years old but still gets the job done.

Ok cool thank you. Yeah the radar is an older one but it works. I guess I should get two GPS/Sounder Combos? This way they are all run separately but if one **** out I can split screen the other? 

9 hours ago, CWitek said:

I'm happy with my Simrad.  Have sidescan, etc. plus GPS, but my radar is standalone.

But if you're putting everything on a single screen, you might want to see if you can fit something bigger than a 9-inch display.  I've got a 9-inch and it gets crowded just with depth/sidescan/GPS.

Personally, I don't like having everyting in one unit.  It is very nice for some things, and I wouldn't want to be without my Simrad.  However, I also run standalone radar, a standalone GPS, and a standalone fishfinder, because things can and do go out of service.  When you lose your GPS, you can make it home even in bad conditions on a compass, GPS, and radar.  Lose your finder, and you can still sort of fish structure if your GPS numbers are good.  Lose it all at once, and you'd better be good at dead reckoning, or else face a dificult trip home.

12 mins ago, NightMoves00 said:

Ok cool thank you. Yeah the radar is an older one but it works. I guess I should get two GPS/Sounder Combos? This way they are all run separately but if one **** out I can split screen the other? 

Sounds like a reasonable compromise.

I've done the separated units, I much prefer integrated. New electronics are light  years ahead of even a few years ago.

I put a Garmin 942XS on my sailboat a few years ago.  Easy to integrate, even backwards to my older SIMRAD autopilot and Garmin radome.  Connecting up the network for sensors like simple depth transducers with an NMEA2K network now means you get depth data on the garmin which is useful for a lot of reasons.  I get the old school tendency to keep things separate but the new stuff is pretty good.  I always keep a backup chartplotter GPS on all boats and on my sailboat I have a handheld Garmin in a Pelican box.  And let's not forget that all modern smartphones have GPS built in and there are free navigating apps that work even with no cell signal so not much of an excuse there.

I run dual Garmins on my 17 Whaler, which is clearly overkill lol, but I love the new sidescan and this way I can keep chart open on 1 unit and sidescan on the 9".  Each is "standalone" with it's own fused power supply but also networked together with NMEA2K so I can get data like ETEC engine performance.

I personally prefer Garmin but I think they are all pretty good.  I was not impressed with Raymarine Axiom when I went to compare.  My brother has dual Raymarine touch screens on his Regulator and the sonar performance is a joke.

On 3/15/2021 at 6:18 PM, NightMoves00 said:

Maybe/maybe not

I might be wrong, but I think on many of the systems, assuming you are buying two of the same, one acts as master, one as slave.  If your master has say the ducer cable plugged in and craps the bed, you may lose that on the other.  Most have internal gps antennas nowadays I think, so you'd still have that.  NMEA backbone may get you around some of that?  IDK.

It is nice to have multiple units though, for the obvious, then neat stuff like displaying engine data that isn't guaged.  They do make nmea conduits for many non-nmea equipped engines to get data into your units.  And different in your situation with a FB, but I have a large unit on the dash, a smaller unit overhead in the box which allows me to see the scope when fishing and standing aft

I am checking with the local boatshops that sell/install electronics to see who is upgrading and what might be available from those that upgrade every year.... Two have told me they are just doing installs so far as everything they have has been sold to go on new boats, which are all sold out! Hate my Raymarine A78 and the rep was downright rude to me at the Riisa show three years back. Looking into Garmin and Simrad, 9". Who knows what????

I have a space issue at my helm. I like the multi function unit. One screen to save on space. With multiple screens I loose visibility in front of me. I have the Garmin 10 inch display and also run a tablet with the Navionics app running. I like the contort detail on the app. The 10 inch Garmin is mounted to the roof of the pilot house. 

I went with the Garmin echo Map 94sv UHD when it went on sale and WM price matched BP price. Has the older 54 transducer, which is smaller and will be fine for my inshore applications. This is not radar compatible, as I will not be considering it for this 20' cc. Hope to be installing it soon. Also found a new home for my old Raymarine unit.

That's a great unit.  I put one on my Whaler this spring.  2 of my buddies are also running them on smaller boats.  Hard to beat, great performance.

20210404_130455.jpg.ba15aaa45c9698a736d8fcbe5f8d090e.jpg

Garmins are alotnmore user friendly, also nema2000 backco e does not include transducers , transducer would be plugged into one of the mfd and would talk to each other via Ethernet cable, if the mfd where the transducer were to crap the bed, you would have to unplug transducer from bad mfd and plug into good one