Need some Quonnie wading advice

Rate this topic

HL

New to RI after 20 yrs fly fishing the Cape Cod estuaries and outer beaches.

Plan to wade Quonnie from the boat ramp going north.  I see that there is shallow water paralleling the channel.  I hate soft bottoms.  Question: Is the bottom firm enough to wade to the "T" at the end of the channel - and - do I have to keep shifting my feet so they don't sink.  I'm real bad remembering to do that :-)).

Regards and thanks.

PM me if you prefer.

Herb

3 mins ago, HL said:

New to RI after 20 yrs fly fishing the Cape Cod estuaries and outer beaches.

Plan to wade Quonnie from the boat ramp going north.  I see that there is shallow water paralleling the channel.  I hate soft bottoms.  Question: Is the bottom firm enough to wade to the "T" at the end of the channel - and - do I have to keep shifting my feet so they don't sink.  I'm real bad remembering to do that :-)).

Regards and thanks.

PM me if you prefer.

Herb

It’s been a long time I been there but I remember it being pretty solid to wade. Best to go at dead low tide and scout it out to find out any possible danger zones though. 

Yes, it's a very firm hard packed sandy bottom.

It's safe, very gradual depth change, most flats type fishing, nothing to worry about.

Best times near low tide, two hours before and after, only because your fly can reach the channel and deeper water.

The further you go out from the new boat ramp the better. Try to got out there at the last navigation buoy.

There's always tiny baitfish in the skinny waters along the banks.

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Yes you can wade right from the boat launch beach and fish the channel in a few different spots. The current is very strong so probably yes you need to keep moving your feet. Best way to fish quonny pond is with a kayak, you can move around to different wadeable spots or hide your yak and go fish the RIMS side without having to drive down the sand trail :)

21 hours ago, HL said:

Thank you LockedDrag

Thank you Capt.

Thank you trwhite.  "RIMS" ???

Herb

"Rhode Island Mobile Sportsmen (i think?)." They have a campsite at the end of the breachway on the side that is only accessible by sand trail. *

Edited by TimS
Please don't recommend folks break the law - thanks :-)

I am surprised the spot burn police haven't gotten all over this.

As a possibly interesting side note, sometime in the early 1970s when I was little I watched my old man wade out there with a bamboo freshwater fly rod and catch a few schoolies. At the time, salt water fly fishing was no where near as common as it is today. I remember overhearing some tourists remarking on the flyrod saying "I didn't know there were trout in there".

2 hours ago, rbart said:

Great advice. Suggesting guys drive  illegally on a public forum... that won’t lead to anything bad. Unbelievable 

Honestly didn’t know that it was illegal. Can you point me to where it says that? Because the CRMC affidavit says you can drive down the quonochontaug sand trail between certain dates as long as you don’t go on either side of the trail or on to the beach.

I haven’t done it in a few years so I might be out of date. Either way I doubt bringing a kayak from the public lot across the channel is illegal. 

59 mins ago, HL said:

I don't think it's spot burning to ask if bottom is hard or soft.

I didn't ask if there are fish there

Herb

It's no skin off my back. I don't fish there.

I'm just surprised nobody got upset by detailed directions for a spot that can fit only a small number of guys and has limited parking. 

I've seen the spot burn police get up in arms over mention of beaches that are miles long with multiple parking lots.

Edit to add; anyway, everybody knows they are no fish there. Or anywhere in RI.

Edited by mikez2

6 hours ago, trwhite said:

Honestly didn’t know that it was illegal. Can you point me to where it says that? Because the CRMC affidavit says you can drive down the quonochontaug sand trail between certain dates as long as you don’t go on either side of the trail or on to the beach.

I haven’t done it in a few years so I might be out of date. Either way I doubt bringing a kayak from the public lot across the channel is illegal. 

I had a friend who passed away was a RIM's member. He once told me that being a RIM's member gave them the permission and the right of way to cross over Weekapaug Yacht  Club land, other wise they had no access to get to their property. 

No other people had that permission.  

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

8 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I had a friend who passed away was a RIM's member. He once told me that being a RIM's member gave them the permission and the right of way to cross over Weekapaug Yacht  Club land, other wise they had no access to get to their property. 

No other people had that permission.  

It’s strange because the weekapaug private security guards will only give you a hard time about the date, which they will lie about if the weekapaug folks decide to extend their summer a little bit, though there is a laminated sign with the regulations right behind where they stand. I wonder who they take orders from.  Either way it’s not easily clear who can go down there and I suppose that makes it easy for people to make up their own rules. 

I avoid the whole place or just use a kayak because the turf war in the whole Quonny area is just not worth it. Lame but it is what it is.