Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Nantucket for Easter - should i bring my gear ?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

BIL bought a house on the east side of the island near Sesachacha Pond and we're all going for 4 days for Easter in two weeks

I know very little about surf fishing Nantucket except that when I was there 2 years ago the seals made it impossible.

What can I expect fishing from the beach this early in the year ?

Water Temperature Table of the Northern Atlantic Coast

Water Temperature Table of the Northern Atlantic Coast (Map-based Web page)
Last Updated: Sun Mar 14, 20:31:21 UTC 2021
Location Recent
Temperatures
MAR APR
1-15
APR
16-30
MAY
1-15
MAY
16-31
JUN
1-15
JUN
16-30
JUL
1-15
Bar Harbor, ME 35.8
(03/14/2021 20:18 UTC)
38 42 45 47 51 54 56 58
Eastport ME   38 39 41 43 44 46 46 50
Portland
ME
  37 39 41 47 51 54 57 60
Portsmouth
Harbor NH
  37 41 45 48 52 54 56 60
Boston, MA 38.8
(03/14/2021 20:12 UTC)
41 45 49 54 58 61 63 66

Its too early for the beach.  Bring a light rod, there are plenty of stripers in Sesachacha pond.  Also, you don't need a freshwater license to fish any of the ponds on island.

14 hours ago, cheech said:

Always bring some gear, since it’s your place leave it there for next time.

Yep!   I always have some gear with me!   

I remember this wedding in RI on the shore.  I sat there watching stripers in the surf. Sad and depressed.     

Never Again!

Do cod, ling, whiting, pollock.... anything like that come into the beach up there ?

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Yep!   I always have some gear with me!   

I remember this wedding in RI on the shore.  I sat there watching stripers in the surf. Sad and depressed.     

Never Again!

I sat through the same thing in Gloucester.  Bride and groom had their backs to the water and behind them was an epic blitz of bass, with birds swirling and boats hooked up.  It was hard to pay attention to the ceremony, lol.

As a general rule of thumb, if you dont bring a rod the fish gods will make you wish you had...

21 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Do cod, ling, whiting, pollock.... anything like that come into the beach up there ?

Lots of cod from the beach up there. 

19 mins ago, Sudsy said:

IMO.  One way to find out!  

Scenarios like this are why I'm packing a travel setup, small tackle kit which includesa small bottle of bunker oil & some kitchen sponge.  20210215_110135.jpg.14393403e46ae3c4309c25e19bc4b06a.jpg

Bottle of oil in a double ziplock bag is travel safe. Just incase you can't find any bait.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, MikeK said:

I sat through the same thing in Gloucester.  Bride and groom had their backs to the water and behind them was an epic blitz of bass, with birds swirling and boats hooked up.  It was hard to pay attention to the ceremony, lol.

As a general rule of thumb, if you dont bring a rod the fish gods will make you wish you had...

:beers:

Here's to fishin in a suit & tie.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

the answer to the question in the title is always YES, not matter what the rest of the question is before or after "should i bring my gear"

A bit early for fresh run stripers - but not completely out of the wheel house of their arrival time. Always worth it to bring a rod. The cod thing is definitely a bit of a long shot...they were once plentiful off the beach. No so much anymore, although I've been hearing rumbles of an uptick in shorebound cod action during the past couple of years (nothing close to reliable though)