coastalfreak

Screw In vs Hex Key Shaft: How much does it matter?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey folks, looking for a small spinning reel to put on my Daiwa Aird Coastal. Two of my top options have been the Fuego LT and the new(ish) Spheros inshore. Since my rod is a medium light, I’m thinking that a 2000 or 2500 is the way to go. Looking for a composite reel even though I use metal for most applications. Simply because this rod is very light. 

Ive heard some problems about the Fuego with its body flex and that worries me, especially considering that I’m new to this composite reel game as I normally use metal with ugly stiks lol. So, I was checking out the Spheros and really like it, but I’m afraid the 3000 is too big. 

Is it a good idea to downsize to the Nasci 2500, even though it has a hex key? I’ve seen Scooby’s vids and have been worried about that style of handle connection. Or is the Fuego, despite its body flex but in the right size worth it? 

Thanks, 

CF

Hex handle shafts can bind or get stuck due to corrosion.

In light FW a hex handle shaft is not a big deal, but I would take the screw in over the hex any day of the week.

Posted (edited) · Report post

A 2500 and 3000 sized Shimano are typically the same reel, just different spool line capacities.

I always err on the side of greater line capacity when all else is equal.

Rather then comparing the listed size, compare line capacities. Decide which reel you want based on your line capacity need.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I "feel" like there is less flex with direct screw on handles and I'm pretty sure they tend to be more water resistant.  I have the Fuego LT 2500 on a 7'2" rod and it pairs nicely.  

13 mins ago, dj1975232 said:

I "feel" like there is less flex with direct screw on handles and I'm pretty sure they tend to be more water resistant.  I have the Fuego LT 2500 on a 7'2" rod and it pairs nicely.  

You are right. 

I have a lot of hex keyed handles that is loose when assembled. Lots of them are almost unbearable to be used since there is a play in them (old and cheap ones). They can't be replaced either since the way how they assembled.

Unless you strip the screw in type, they should be pretty solid.

@coastalfreak

TLDR version: Nasci is great and hex hasn’t bothered me but newer Spheros SW is a stradic for just $120. 

I’ve had the Nasci 4K since they first became available. Fished it hard each of those 5 seasons - as hard as I can with four little kids worth of domestic duties. 

I’ve had the 5k (bought used here in BST) since ‘17 or so. Fished that very hard. Hooked a shark unexpectedly with that one while chunking a shallow beach in late Spring. Reel held up perfectly, totally capable of bringing in a big fish or a small shark but this was a good sized shark that almost spooled me twice. Then the thing started going in a direction where I’m about to get crossed over rocks. Didn’t want it stuck with 175 yards of braid plus the shark rig all hanging from its face. So, tightened the drag as much as I could leaning back with the rod, and my 30 lbs braid finally gave out - presumably somewhere within the PR knot.

Hex handle no problem. Flex of the “plastic” reel frame not an issue for me. Oiled the bearings & greased infiltration points at the very beginning and fished for years with no maintenance & no issues until breaking them down this offseason. Definitely some minor oxidation within the handle & opposite side bearings but smooth as ever after maintenance. (Both reels were completely submerged numerous times by accident.) 

It still works perfectly. No notable wear on the main gear or pinion gear. 

I would’ve totally suggested this reel and bought more for myself if needed, but I would prefer the new Spheros SW 4K or under for my next light inshore reel. 

It’s a stradic fk. Screw in handle, better line lay. The worm gear line lay typical of a stradic would most certainly be better than the Nasci - which was my only real complaint since I never had an issue with the hex handle. 

I have never owned a Daiwa reel and I’m intrigued by some of their offerings, but I’m pretty sure you’ll get a fine reel for 5-10 years out of the “Stradic” Spheros SW. 

Still, if this is your most common type of fishing, the Stradic FL is gorgeous. Makes my knees bend. Basically as waterproof or more than most any reel in the Shimano lineup. Check out a YouTube video of the reel being “upgraded” (unnecessarily) and you’ll realize it’s just a few bearings away from the smaller sized Stellas. It’s totally worth it for a “lifetime reel.”

I wish I never heard of it. 

I do think you would happier in the long run with a Stradic but it is an extra hundred bucks.  Given that the reel can last you several years (at least) I think it is worth it.

If you must adhere to the budget you have set add the Daiwa BG and the Okuma Epixor to your short list.

Ugly stiks....seriously dude....wash your mouth out with soap....we have got to get you into building your own rods.  It is dirt simple/easy as long as looks aren't important.  NFC has blanks for $85 (normally $225)....PacBay minima guides, Fuji pipe style reel seat, and EVA grips....Think $125 total range.....for a rod that is $500 factory built (but is pretty).  Do reach out to me if you decide to go down this deep and additive path as there is so much you don't need to waste money on to begin with.

I thought you were buying high end St. Croixs.....as in you have deep pockets.....maybe I have confused you with someone else???