monkeyface_zeal

Van Staal VR50 atrocious line lay

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

Okay, probably last photos, but also wanted to show how the new drag knob is super crooked on this one. Is it supposed to have two pins (not sure what to call them) on the bottom side of the knob instead of just one? That seems to be the cause of the crookedness. Obviously going to return this, just curious.

PXL_20210314_200702220.MP.jpg

PXL_20210314_200733442.jpg

That pin that clicks when you adjust your drag should retract into the drag cap. There is a small spring behind it applying enough pressure to have an audible click when adjusted. 

You should be able to push the pin in with your finger, or put it in a flat surface and push it flat with little pressure. 

9C6EB979-C7F7-4387-A7C1-26EFF83DDD00.jpeg

9844EEF1-17C6-4DF1-9D73-C3D9340098C4.jpeg

0D931A9A-F2CA-4DEB-BCBB-3B40FCD4CDF1.jpeg

Okay, makes sense, but it's still sitting unevenly so I guess it's something else causing that. Just a big bummer since this seems to be a new version and has QC issues.

Just now, monkeyface_zeal said:

Okay, makes sense, but it's still sitting unevenly so I guess it's something else causing that. Just a big bummer since this seems to be a new version and has QC issues.

Once you tighten the drag enough to apply pressure to the drag stack the drag knob should be even and symmetrical . If not, there is something obstructing that pin from retracting. 

6 mins ago, ged said:

Once you tighten the drag enough to apply pressure to the drag stack the drag knob should be even and symmetrical . If not, there is something obstructing that pin from retracting. 

Okay that makes sense. I guess that isn't a defect then, my only issues are the line lay and jerky drag.

1 hour ago, monkeyface_zeal said:

Okay, probably last photos, but also wanted to show how the new drag knob is super crooked on this one. Is it supposed to have two pins (not sure what to call them) on the bottom side of the knob instead of just one? That seems to be the cause of the crookedness. Obviously going to return this, just curious.

PXL_20210314_200702220.MP.jpg

PXL_20210314_200733442.jpg

It looks cross threaded,not saying it is but it sure looks like it.

I don’t know what the tpi of the main shaft is but it’s probably a common 10-32 or something similar.

If it was me i would determine that and screw a machine screw into the cap and see if is perpendicular. 
On the other hand,just send it back...

On 3/14/2021 at 5:17 PM, monkeyface_zeal said:

That's what I thought at first but it's definitely not.

Did you ever get this figured out?

Improved gearing and mainshaft upgrades have nothing to do with line lay, and if that drag knob is not cross threaded it is not machined correctly. Did you buy it mail order or a local shop...if the latter take it in and ask them to screw on another drag knob and see if it's any different. The line lay can be corrected without issue by machine spooling it, 3 VS 250's and i had to tweak the line lay on every one of em. Exchanging it is probably your best option if that option is available to you, given it has 2 distinct problems already.

On 9/30/2021 at 2:40 PM, monkeyface_zeal said:

Nope, returned it. Now they're out of stock everywhere so probably going to get a Saltist MQ instead.

I did want to post this to the thread, I spoke with Van Staal service center and they told me the line lay is like that because I manually spooled it and I need to use a machine.  

I laughed, and said, sure I will use a machine, but what happens when I cast and I have to manually reel it in?  

For the money we pay for the reels, this should be fixed ASAP

Posted (edited) · Report post

I stopped at the VS booth during striper cup a few weeks ago and they had a vr50 on display spooled/bailless setup... man was I horrified. Line lay was HORRIBLE and the wobble of the rotor when reeling was even worse. I'm excited for the vr51 but also on the fence because of what I witnessed at their own booth.. lol

Edited by natejeep

50 mins ago, natejeep said:

I stopped at the VS booth during striper cup a few weeks ago and they had a vr50 on display spooled/bailless setup... man was I horrified. Line lay was HORRIBLE and the wobble of the rotor when reeling was even worse. I'm excited for the vr51 but also on the fence because of what I witnessed at their own booth.. lol

For a 500+ reel, there should be better results